Author Topic: How do I turn off Google online cloud storage?  (Read 2585 times)

How do I turn off Google online cloud storage?
« on: 13 June, 2023, 10:51:49 am »
After a recent software update on my Google phone it seems to have activated this.  The result is that it keeps backing up my pictures and videos, telling me that I have no space left and tries to sell me storage.  It also stops me sending emails.

This is a fucking joke Nd not a funny one either.  I cannot find a way to stop it doing this.  🤬🤬🤬

Please help! 

Re: How do I turn off Google online cloud storage?
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2023, 10:58:26 am »
do you use google mail?

The emails are held in cloud storage.

What model of phone are you using?

The backing up of pictures etc means that if you lose your handset, all of the pictures are recoverable.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:00:20 am »
After a recent software update on my Google phone it seems to have activated this.  The result is that it keeps backing up my pictures and videos, telling me that I have no space left and tries to sell me storage.  It also stops me sending emails.

This is a fucking joke Nd not a funny one either.  I cannot find a way to stop it doing this.  🤬🤬🤬

Please help! 

Have you Googled this?  :P

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:03:02 am »
Well after my plea in desperation I found the answer.  Backup is enabled / disable in the Google Photo app and not in the account settings.  This does not make sense because backup also backs up emails and other stuff.

And ...

...  Breathe.

do you use google mail?

The emails are held in cloud storage.

What model of phone are you using?

The backing up of pictures etc means that if you lose your handset, all of the pictures are recoverable.

Backup of email is fine and is happening.  What happened is that it set itself backup photos and videos without my activating it.  I already backup my pics and vids on both micro SD cards and one of my pc's.

And then it was cheekily trying to sell me paid cloud storage having tweaked my settings.

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:05:35 am »

Please help! 

Have you Googled this?  :P

I did. It took some time to find a search result which was actually useful though.  🤔

« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2024, 06:00:23 pm »
The twattishness of Google backing up phone photos online mysteriously started again today.  I have of course kicked it squarely in the nuts but I am finding this dicking around changing my settings and then trying to sell me expensive online cloud storage space really fucking annoying.

Piss off Google.  Carry on like this and I might even change to Apple ...

Ok, maybe not.

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2024, 09:38:26 am »
If it's a Pixel phone, do you not have the option in photo's to back up in 'storage saver' mode. when the images/videos do not count towards your 15 Gb if free space?

I have found that if I wish to share scanned, pre digital photos with others via google photos, then uploading them from my Pixel phone is storage saver mode doesn't take up storage space.

« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2024, 10:25:00 am »
It is a Pixel phone, a 6 Pro.  I have no idea why it turns on photo backup from time to time.   

I shall look at storage saver mode out of curiosity but I'd prefer that Google respected my preference to not use cloud storage.

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2024, 01:53:04 pm »
My daughter has one of those (mine's a 4a). I was saving some of her photos she had shared in order to share them with another party. I initially did that on my Samsung tablet, only to discover she hadn't used storage saver and rapidly filled 3Gb of storage. She thought she had turned on storage saver as well, but like your case it had reset. I then had the hassle of weeding all of her photos I'd 'saved' from my photo stream before 'saving again on my Pixel set to storage saver mode which brought my account back down to 1.X Gb as usual.  I only really use the cloud 'backup' for sharing with others as it's convenient (mostly grandchildren's' activities and scanned pre digital family photos). At least 10k images and videos to date, storage on Drive sits at about 1.X Gb.