Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 477355 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3625 on: 26 October, 2021, 07:45:43 pm »
I am glad it is being taken seriously. Hopefully it will be used to learn lessons and not blame low-paid people, but fix systems for the future.

^ This
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3626 on: 26 October, 2021, 09:09:18 pm »
I had a lovely 20 mile ride home from work, made tea and then metaphorically collapsed, shattered.  Desperate for some toast and butter.  Most unlike me.

Then realised, I had my Covid booster at lunchtime.

Eat the toast and go to bed

And I broke a tooth eating tea!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3627 on: 29 October, 2021, 10:13:39 am »
Sympathies for the tooth.

I just had a good poke at the ACL I hurt on Wednesday. It should have make me yelp but nary a twinge, so I'm thinking that it was the meniscus getting pinched under the too-floaty kneecap that was mooted by the radiologist earlier this year.  I'd much prefer it to be the ACL.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3628 on: 29 October, 2021, 04:53:33 pm »

I just had a good poke at the ACL I hurt on Wednesday. It should have make me yelp but nary a twinge, so I'm thinking that it was the meniscus getting pinched under the too-floaty kneecap that was mooted by the radiologist earlier this year.  I'd much prefer it to be the ACL.

Not sure how you are poking the ACL. Do you mean MCL (Medial Collateral) or LCL (Lateral Collateral)?
There is a meniscus attached to each of the MCL and LCL, but neither go particularly near the kneecap (you can pinch them between the femur and the tibia though)?

Sympathies either way.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3629 on: 01 November, 2021, 07:32:58 am »

Not sure how you are poking the ACL. Do you mean MCL (Medial Collateral) or LCL (Lateral Collateral)?
There is a meniscus attached to each of the MCL and LCL, but neither go particularly near the kneecap (you can pinch them between the femur and the tibia though)?

Sympathies either way.

Ta, and I see what you mean.  Funny how you can labour under a misapprehension and no-one puts you right for 35 years.  Pain might have been caused by my floaty left kneecap, then - GP remarked on it last time I had a knee problem.  Anyway, I did an energetic 86k with only a mild ache yesterday so I'm putting it on the don't worry list and not carrying 10kg baskets of logs up from the cellar for now.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3630 on: 01 November, 2021, 09:26:06 pm »
So I have my face to face neurologist review appointment tomorrow (which I can't help but think I'd still be waiting on if I hadn't grinked to my local political councillors).

So will I have some answers tomorrow afternoon?

Or will the diagnosis can be kicked down the road for another 12 to 18 months as I get referred to see someone else, with an 18 month waiting list for a  referral to go on the waiting list, waiting list...   ???

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3631 on: 02 November, 2021, 07:56:49 am »
Sounds like a Cop26 allegory.

BrianI

« Reply #3632 on: 02 November, 2021, 02:07:34 pm »
Well, no real answers today from my appointment. A "working" diagnosis of potentially "Functional Neurological Disorder", as well ad the neurologist saying "it may be something degenerative in my brain or  spinal cord"

The neurologist did record a video of my shoogly walking, which he will email to Prof Jon Stone, Professor of Neurology, one of the top neurologists in the UK, who I  will now been referred to. 

--edit -- seems the NHS Fife email service / network blocks google drive links, so instead I have to send the video in on a cdrom by post...   :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3633 on: 02 November, 2021, 04:15:29 pm »
That doesn't sound too good Brian.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

BrianI

« Reply #3634 on: 02 November, 2021, 08:02:00 pm »

Or it could be the Neuro I saw today, trying to cover all bases. Certainly nothing in my MRIs of my brain or full spine, has hinted at that, so I've got the neuro stumped.  I do think it's going to be Functional Neurological Disorder I'll get a diagnosis of, and Prof Stone is one of the leading authorities on that.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3635 on: 02 November, 2021, 08:23:33 pm »
--edit -- seems the NHS Fife email service / network blocks google drive links, so instead I have to send the video in on a cdrom by post...   :facepalm:

Yes.
CD Rom might be tricky too.... not sure when I last saw a CD drive at work.
USB pens are probably also blocked, we're all working to NHS Scotland directives.

Suppose you can seen being directed to Prof Stone in either light, bad that you're being referred to someone at that level because everyone else seems to be stumped, good that you're being referred to someone at that level because he literally wrote the website on FND https://www.neurosymptoms.org/en_GB/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3636 on: 02 November, 2021, 09:06:31 pm »

Yes.
USB pens are probably also blocked, we're all working to NHS Scotland directives.

How about Flickr?

« Reply #3637 on: 02 November, 2021, 09:25:02 pm »

Or it could be the Neuro I saw today, trying to cover all bases. Certainly nothing in my MRIs of my brain or full spine, has hinted at that, so I've got the neuro stumped.  I do think it's going to be Functional Neurological Disorder I'll get a diagnosis of, and Prof Stone is one of the leading authorities on that.

Brian, Functional Neurological Disorder sounds like a diagnosis - but it isn't really.  It's an admission that they don't yet know what is causing your problems.  What is good is that they seem to be moving you up the chain, which is not before time.   The very best of luck!

BrianI

« Reply #3638 on: 03 November, 2021, 07:01:30 am »

Yes.

Suppose you can seen being directed to Prof Stone in either light, bad that you're being referred to someone at that level because everyone else seems to be stumped, good that you're being referred to someone at that level because he literally wrote the website on FND https://www.neurosymptoms.org/en_GB/

Well the neuro i saw said to put it on a cdrom? Hopefully that'll work otherwise I don't know what else to do.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3639 on: 03 November, 2021, 08:20:52 am »
Here's hoping, Brian.  "FND" sounds like medispeak for "WTF".

« Reply #3640 on: 03 November, 2021, 09:55:42 am »
It is!

« Reply #3641 on: 03 November, 2021, 10:43:27 am »
Today begins my prep for surgery-

Stop taking the placebos vitamins and supplements in case they have a blood thinning effect.

LFT #1

Order slippers.

BrianI

« Reply #3642 on: 03 November, 2021, 10:46:01 am »

It's a real condition, according to Prof Stone.

« Reply #3643 on: 03 November, 2021, 11:13:20 am »
Let's hope you can get some action, then, Brian.  And my apologies if I made you anxious.  My statement was based on my communications with parents who have had such experiences with their children's treatments.  Good luck!  :thumbsup:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3644 on: 03 November, 2021, 12:16:08 pm »
Brian that sounds potentially positive, FND is absolutely a thing, which has been massively under-recognised for ages. I know 2 or 3 people with it as one of their diagnoses. One managed to get intensive treatment in London that massively improved her impairment levels.

Fingers crossed sending the CD to this Prof will get you noticed and checked out by him. Frustrating that it is more waiting though.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3645 on: 03 November, 2021, 01:52:22 pm »
Good luck for surgery Fboab!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3646 on: 03 November, 2021, 02:17:22 pm »

I thought it was merely 'IDK' but it does seem to be taken seriously, which is some progress.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3647 on: 03 November, 2021, 02:18:17 pm »

Stop taking the placebos vitamins and supplements in case they have a blood thinning effect.

LFT #1

Order slippers.

When I went in for de-cataracting it was "order pyjamas".

Bon courage!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3648 on: 03 November, 2021, 02:24:29 pm »
LFT #1
Order slippers.
Bon courage!

Few folk have pyjamas…

Hope all goes well!

Hope all goes well

« Reply #3649 on: 03 November, 2021, 03:28:46 pm »

LFT #1

Order slippers.

Easy mistake to make if you have cataracts.

Bon courage!