Author Topic: Audax Google Calendar  (Read 12846 times)

Audax Google Calendar
« on: 13 February, 2011, 01:12:05 pm »

Hi everyone

I've finally got around to fixing the Google Calendar I made for Audax rides. Sorry it's been down for so long :-(

Calendar id is: ukaudaxcalendar@googlemail.com

in case anyone wants to use it.

XML: http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/ukaudaxcalendar%40googlemail.com/public/basic
ICal: http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/ukaudaxcalendar%40googlemail.com/public/basic.ics
HTML: UK Audax Calendar

Cheers,

Duncan

PS I've just noticed the Audax website is changing, so I will probably need to redo this again shortly.

Re: Audax Google Calendar
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2011, 05:15:41 pm »
thanks Duncan, thats great! just downloaded the iCal version works a treat.

Cheers Paul

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2011, 06:24:24 pm »
thanks Duncan, thats great! just downloaded the iCal version works a treat.

Thanks! Always good to know someone is using it, as I can't easily get out on Audaxes myself at the moment...

Cheers,

Duncan

Alouicious

« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2011, 07:08:01 am »
Only one fly in the ointment.

On the AUK website, their calendar tells me 1/ The distance, 2/ the starting time and 3/ the town where the start is.
The name of the ride is of no real significance and is the last item on the first line; and only serves as a cross-reference if the ride is spoken about by name on a chatboard.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2011, 09:09:49 am »

Hi everyone

I've finally got around to fixing the Google Calendar I made for Audax rides. Sorry it's been down for so long :-(

Calendar id is: ukaudaxcalendar@googlemail.com

in case anyone wants to use it.

XML: http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/ukaudaxcalendar%40googlemail.com/public/basic
ICal: http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/ukaudaxcalendar%40googlemail.com/public/basic.ics
HTML: UK Audax Calendar

Cheers,

Duncan

PS I've just noticed the Audax website is changing, so I will probably need to redo this again shortly.
Wow! At first glance that looks really useful (even as a non-iCal user).

Is that view completely dynamic i.e. linking to the live data on AUKweb?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #5 on: 14 February, 2011, 10:02:45 am »
This is quite spendid. Chapeau, Duncan!

vindec

• per ardua ad aqua
« Reply #6 on: 14 February, 2011, 10:47:19 pm »
Excellent! One click and it's in Outlook. Many thanks.

« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2011, 01:31:52 am »
Thanks everyone - glad you're finding it useful!

I've just updated it to work with the new version of the AUK website. This is much much nicer, and also means the calendar now goes a long way into the future :-)

I've added a couple more things too, as they were there: whether the event takes paypal, and whether it is a PBP qualifier.

Cheers,

Duncan

« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2011, 01:35:25 am »
Thanks! Personally, I use it in Google Calendar.

Not quite, but pretty close. It should be scraped once a night from AUKweb, but that relies on me remembering the password on the server that runs the cron job... I'm hoping to sort this out tomorrow.

Cheers,

Duncan

« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2011, 01:36:58 am »
Only one fly in the ointment.

On the AUK website, their calendar tells me 1/ The distance, 2/ the starting time and 3/ the town where the start is.
The name of the ride is of no real significance and is the last item on the first line; and only serves as a cross-reference if the ride is spoken about by name on a chatboard.

Personally, I quite like having the names of the rides. I'm happy to add the start place as well (there doesn't seem much point in adding the start time, as it's in a calendar!)

Cheers,

Duncan

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2011, 09:05:58 am »
Thanks! Personally, I use it in Google Calendar.

Not quite, but pretty close. It should be scraped once a night from AUKweb, but that relies on me remembering the password on the server that runs the cron job... I'm hoping to sort this out tomorrow.

I've only looked at the HTMl version so far - based on that, I might look into using Google calendar in the future (as Audaxes are the major weekend events for me currently).

I'm sure once-a-night screen-scraping is plenty adequate for this - events are only published in tranches every few weeks anyway. (There's also cancellations etc, so it is worth having it update regularly). Good work - let us know when the new format site breaks this  :P

EDIT: I've just looked at the busy weekends (Apr/May) in the HTML version - it doesn't cope so well displaying many rides in a day! That's not intended as a criticism; I guess if I set up my own calendar I'll have other formatting options to fiddle with...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2011, 09:29:42 am »
And to think that only a couple of weeks ago, I went through my own google calendar and added the rides I'm doing - needn't have bothered  :(

Great work!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2011, 10:45:39 am »
I'm sure once-a-night screen-scraping is plenty adequate for this - events are only published in tranches every few weeks anyway. (There's also cancellations etc, so it is worth having it update regularly). Good work - let us know when the new format site breaks this  :P
I changed it last night to use the new site, so hopefully it won't. Fingers crossed :-)

EDIT: I've just looked at the busy weekends (Apr/May) in the HTML version - it doesn't cope so well displaying many rides in a day! That's not intended as a criticism; I guess if I set up my own calendar I'll have other formatting options to fiddle with...

I've noticed that too - not a lot I can do about it though, that's really up to Google! You can always switch to viewing a day or a week in the calendar for the congested bits.

Cheers,

Duncan

« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2011, 12:10:03 pm »
Now, that is very handy! Thanks.
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

« Reply #14 on: 15 February, 2011, 07:42:09 pm »
1,771 events ...

thanks a lot for this

« Reply #15 on: 15 February, 2011, 08:09:14 pm »
Password remembered, so nightly updates should be back on!

Cheers,

Duncan

« Reply #16 on: 15 February, 2011, 08:12:13 pm »
Excellent work :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 15 February, 2011, 08:21:01 pm »
Excellent stuff, thanks for your efforts :)

« Reply #18 on: 15 February, 2011, 08:29:17 pm »
Thanks again everyone. When I first did this I was wondering if it was only being used by me, so it's good to know there is a call for it!

I've added the places into the titles as requested by Alouicious. Let me know if this is better or worse - on first glance, I think it works OK.

Cheers,

Duncan

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #19 on: 15 February, 2011, 08:42:41 pm »
i also would like to say this is a useful addition to the audax alandar.many thanks for your efforts.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #20 on: 26 February, 2011, 10:42:30 pm »
v useful. Thanks for taking the time to sort this out.

« Reply #21 on: 02 March, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
Works great in Outlook or Google calendars - I'll leave it in Google calendars as it will update automatically that way I presume? And will also link to the phone.

Brilliant work.

« Reply #22 on: 02 March, 2011, 06:35:01 pm »

Plz to explain how.

« Reply #23 on: 02 March, 2011, 09:45:09 pm »

Plz to explain how.

Click on http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/ukaudaxcalendar%40googlemail.com/public/basic.ics to download the .ics file

Then in outlook:
File > import and export > import an icalendar > choose the folder your web downloads go to and select the basic.ics file
You then get the option of adding it to your existing calendar or opening it in a seperate one. The seperate one ends up being called "UK Audax Calendar"
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #24 on: 02 March, 2011, 10:43:19 pm »
ta.

But I guess that's a one off import, not something that keeps itself up to date with changes?

If you import again a week later from a fresh download does it duplicate, or just make changes?