Author Topic: Food Memories - Good and bad  (Read 930 times)

Food Memories - Good and bad
« on: 10 June, 2015, 10:56:10 am »
Prompted by Peters post in the "What book are we reading" thread about how bad experiences stay with you..

Bad:

Glasgow - Steak Pie. Unlike what I'd been used to as a Southerner, this was deep fried, and still contained a goodly amount of oil.

Prawn Salad - Great Yarmouth. A meagre selection of watery just-defrosted frozen prawns on limp lettuce.

Chicken Salad - Birling Gap Café. When I broke the joint on the leg, a maggot crawled out and up my knife!

Pork Salad - with gravy! - Middlesborough. (see also Stroganoff with rice - and roast potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli. To be fair not bad, just unexpected)

Good

Ravioli of Crayfish in Lobster Bisque - Le Manoir au Quat' Saison. A birthday present lunch from my wife. I can still taste that first mouthful.

Fish and Chips - The chippy next to the Kings Theatre, Southsea. The best I've eaten.

Charentais Melon, Pears - Somewhere in the south of France off a market stall. Amazing, juicy, flavouful.

Figs - Roadside bushes, Umbria. Unmatched for sweetness.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Food Memories - Good and bad
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:02:49 am »
A Bounty bar forced on me by my Aunt when I was about five. To this day I still can't stomach dessicated coconut.
Rust never sleeps

Re: Food Memories - Good and bad
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:33:54 am »
Good: Pancakes from here. They were nice pancakes but it's as much about the time and the place, really.

Bad: Runner beans from my Aunty Frances. I was about 8. She'd grown them herself for the first time and was very proud and we ate them out of politeness but I have never done since thanks to almost choking on the wooden strings.