Author Topic: Coconut  (Read 1686 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Coconut
« on: 21 June, 2015, 08:30:50 am »
My daughter took a school party to a Hindu temple in Neasden last week. Whilst there, she obtained a coconut and today I have been breaking into it with a hacksaw, gravity and a hard pavement. Sadly, there was no coconut milk but the flesh is moist. The annoying part is that GD has decided she doesn't like it, daughter's dietary requirements preclude it, GS is too young and Mrs. Wow can't be bothered to chew through it. I have to confess that it does involve a fair bit of jaw work.

When you have caught your coconut, what do you do with it?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Coconut
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2015, 08:42:16 am »
Too late now, but to open a coconut, first open one of the soft holes in the end with a corkscrew and pour out the milk. Then hold it in one hand while hitting around the middle with the back of a kitchen knife, turning it between each hit. The shell will crack and can be peeled off.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2015, 08:58:14 am »
Smash it with a hammer, then put it in the bin.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2015, 09:28:38 am »
There wasn't any milk in it. I sawed it top-down and not so much as a drop escaped.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2015, 09:53:23 am »
It was an old one. If you ever buy one, shake it first and listen for liquid. And open two holes to pour, as with an old steel beer-can.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:56:56 am »
The milk and water is the best bit of a coconut, IMO. The flesh, IIRC it's called copra, is quite tasty and nutritious but does get a bit chewy and monotonous if just eaten on its own. Use it in a Thai-style curry? Then you can use the fibrous outer layer to make a coir mat and the shards of shell can be composted. But any coconut will be dried up by the time it gets here and the best ones are actually the green, smooth-shelled ones.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:03:04 am »
When I was little my dad told me that coconuts were, in fact, monkey's heads. I believed that for quite a while. Probably into my late teens.

I did buy a bottle of coconut water a while back because it sounded interesting. It was minging.

« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:09:55 am »
Use it to make coconut milk for use in your next curry.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:56:24 am »
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2015, 03:59:33 pm »
My daughter took a school party to a Hindu temple in Neasden last week. Whilst there, she obtained a coconut and today I have been breaking into it with a hacksaw, gravity and a hard pavement. Sadly, there was no coconut milk but the flesh is moist. The annoying part is that GD has decided she doesn't like it, daughter's dietary requirements preclude it, GS is too young and Mrs. Wow can't be bothered to chew through it. I have to confess that it does involve a fair bit of jaw work.

When you have caught your coconut, what do you do with it?

Read ian's "food rant thread" for ideas. I suggest breaking up the shell and reforming it into something that looks like a cross between a slab of wood and a piece of roofing slate. Then cut the flesh of the coconut into pretty swirls and place them in carefully organised piles in each corner of the resulting board. Drizzle whatever fluids you can press out of them (or improvise with brightly coloured fluids, ideally flavourless, if needs be).

Serve the result to ian, and retreat to a safe distance...

Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2015, 07:46:16 pm »
I love coconut, love the juice, and the flesh but when its solid. I don't like that membrainey stuff thats sometimes there.

Corkscrew into the two holes, drain liquid, take a hammer or heavy knife, smack along the seam and rotate as doing so, usually takes two or three hits.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2015, 12:17:12 am »
Read ian's "food rant thread" for ideas. I suggest breaking up the shell and reforming it into something that looks like a cross between a slab of wood and a piece of roofing slate. Then cut the flesh of the coconut into pretty swirls and place them in carefully organised piles in each corner of the resulting board. Drizzle whatever fluids you can press out of them (or improvise with brightly coloured fluids, ideally flavourless, if needs be).

Serve the result to ian, and retreat to a safe distance...

It's only a matter of time before a gastropub serves a burger solidified into an upturned coconut shell suspended from a bit of string...