Poll

Yes or no?  It's a quarter of forum posts and we need the disk space and quicker backup time

Yes, it's just shits and giggles and no-one reads older posts
No, the witty Captain Beefheart association I made in July 2008 is my sole achievement in life

Voting closes: 23 April, 2024, 02:02:12 pm

Author Topic: Can we reboot Tune Association?  (Read 227 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Can we reboot Tune Association?
« on: Today at 02:02:12 pm »
TA is now massive and the recent crashes have been space-related.  Up to you.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Can we reboot Tune Association?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:14:01 pm »
Seems like a reasonable thing to do in itself, but I'm curious about how much space it (and the database in general) is taking up.  Text is small and disks are big, so presumably there's either something really inefficient going on, or the hosting is stingy about storage...

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:19:24 pm »
Delete it, and then reboot on an annual or six-monthly basis.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:18:16 pm »
I like TA, it's a bit of fun. There's no need to keep any more than say, 10 pages though (it's not The Chain).
Pen Pusher

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:53:25 pm »
Whilst I was tempted by the Beefheart option it makes sense, probably closely followed by the “Random threads about…” whilst there may some wit and amusement there’s no real loss of knowledge.

How much space does Tune Association use? It probably has the shortest posts on average of the whole forum, or is it the sheer volume of them that’s causing the problem?

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:34:02 pm »
I also tend to the "text is small, disks are big view", even with some per-post overhead and the need for manual intervention in any expansion.

The stats say
Tune Association
81173 replies
A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
30780 replies

So, it's quite a lot. I think there's probably more interest in the random thread...

Also, would deleting it take Clarion off the top poster's spot?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:38:23 pm »
Also, given database overheads and disk blocks I'd guess 50 - 80% of posts across the forum have the same effective size on disk. But I've not actually checked.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:11:15 pm »
Delete it, and then reboot on an annual or six-monthly basis.
And I'd suggest the same with the Wordle (etc) threads.

But then I don't post in any of those so it's not for me to say...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:12:13 pm »
I'd be strongly against deleting most of the random thread for small x things threads.  Yes, there's lots of transient waffle (especially in original small things thread), but there are also some excellent posts whose only crime is not being easily categorised.

If there must be a cull, Tune Association and the other word games threads would be the place to start.  And probably things like old classifieds, but they're not going to free much disk.

(Fair point about block size.  I remember the days when install tools would ask if you were going to use a partition for a newsgroup server or similar in order to pick a smaller block size.  Though presumably the SQL database abstracts all that onto a higher plane of allocation with its own minimum size...)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:48:21 pm »
You could reduce it considerably by deleting the replies referring to Half Man Half Biscuit.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:16:51 pm »
You could reduce it considerably by deleting the replies referring to Half Man Half Biscuit.
;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #11 on: Today at 07:17:49 pm »
I voted in favour of keeping it because I just wanted to see how the votes were going. Please ignore (not that you wouldn't anyway). I'm a relatively recent addict of TA but it is essentially ephemeral so, yes, reboot away. Ditto Wordle.