Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940122 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9125 on: 21 September, 2020, 10:37:20 am »
Failed again to find disaster-cheese, watched something called The ReZort, which turned out to Hollywood fluff. Wasn't any better than the Syfy stuff though other than some marginally better acting.

Plot, erm. There's been a global war against zombies (why bother, we could just build more shopping malls for them), humanity is victorious, but they've kept an island full of them so people can go shoot them. What could go wrong if you land a group of central casting stereotypes in the middle of them? The usual stuff. Infinite ammo, the moody good guy (who survives, presumably because the focus groups in the early screenings said so). A plot twist telegraphed so far back that it was received in the mid-1980s. People with zero knowledge of the existence of this movie know how it ends.

« Reply #9126 on: 21 September, 2020, 07:29:39 pm »
The Public.   Excellent.   Homeless people staging a winter sit-in in Cincinati library clash with city officials.  Great ending.

ian

« Reply #9127 on: 23 September, 2020, 10:12:24 am »
An interesting and thoughtful exploration of time travel and existentialism. Oh yes, Bill & Ted Face the Music. I didn't know this existed till I saw the trailer ahead of Tenet last week.

I confess, I was a bit scared, obviously, Bill & Ted is a foundational landmark of modern cinema and these latter year reboots often fraught. Anyway, I found it most awesome. Obviously Keanu and Alex weren't in it for the money, they seemed to be having fun. Anyway, you know the deal, there's time travel, there's even teenaged Bill & Ted-lettes, obviously princesses. Music reunites the world and saves reality. You don't need to know the why.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9128 on: 23 September, 2020, 02:22:48 pm »
An interesting and thoughtful exploration of time travel and existentialism. Oh yes, Bill & Ted Face the Music. I didn't know this existed till I saw the trailer ahead of Tenet last week.

I confess, I was a bit scared, obviously, Bill & Ted is a foundational landmark of modern cinema and these latter year reboots often fraught. Anyway, I found it most awesome. Obviously Keanu and Alex weren't in it for the money, they seemed to be having fun. Anyway, you know the deal, there's time travel, there's even teenaged Bill & Ted-lettes, obviously princesses. Music reunites the world and saves reality. You don't need to know the why Wyld Stallyns.

FTFY :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9129 on: 23 September, 2020, 03:11:51 pm »
The Public.   Excellent.   Homeless people staging a winter sit-in in Cincinati library clash with city officials.  Great ending.

They teach the officials to read?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9130 on: 23 September, 2020, 06:19:08 pm »

I confess, I was a bit scared, obviously, Bill & Ted is a foundational landmark of modern cinema and these latter year reboots often fraught. Anyway, I found it most awesome. Obviously Keanu and Alex weren't in it for the money, they seemed to be having fun. Anyway, you know the deal, there's time travel, there's even teenaged Bill & Ted-lettes, obviously princesses. Music reunites the world and saves reality. You don't need to know the why.
Bodacious!

I guess some foundational landmarks of modern cinema have staying power.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #9131 on: 24 September, 2020, 10:14:18 am »
I enjoyed it. It, of course, didn't do anything that the earlier two films didn't, but it's hardly an intellectual adventure.

Some people online are annoyed (surely not!) that the movie has women in it. Actually I did notice that their sons changed to daughters, but honestly, annoyed men of the internet, it's not real it's a movie. I'd imagine Beethoven would have been a lot more perturbed to be kidnapped in the phone booth and Jimi Hendrix would have been too off his head on heroin to notice.

« Reply #9132 on: 24 September, 2020, 09:26:58 pm »
Bacurau.

A slow-burner set in a remote Brazilian village.  Plays with multiple genre tropes so for a long time you're not quite sure what kind of film you're watching. An excellent one, it turns out.

Some parallels with Parasite, perhaps.  It certainly doesn't hold back...

fuzzy

« Reply #9133 on: 25 September, 2020, 11:10:34 am »
Sweetheart

Young woman washes up on a desert island. A bad thing lives in the water nearby. Stuff ensues.

A bit meh.

Not improved by the fact that she forgot/ lost her discs.

« Reply #9134 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:54:59 am »
The Gentlemen - I don't usually fancy gangster films, but I remember this getting good reviews earlier and it was on our list to go and see at the cinema. Then lockdown.  Its on Prime just now for free and I really enjoyed it. No gritty realism, its just a really good story which unfolds and keeps you guessing as it goes along.  My wife found out its not easy to follow if your on your phone/laptop at the same time but its easily worth it. Great story line and acting. Hugh Grant didn't play Hugh Grant and he was great too. Not gratuitously violent, its probably the language that got it its rating.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9135 on: 28 September, 2020, 12:19:12 pm »
Ice Cold in Alex on Old Git TV Saturday afternnon.

Still brilliant. I knew most of the words.

Don't just stand there like a Hype Park floozy wondering how she's going to get through the winter!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #9136 on: 28 September, 2020, 06:43:17 pm »
Ice Cold in Alex on Old Git TV Saturday afternnon.

Still brilliant. I knew most of the words.

Don't just stand there like a Hype Park floozy wondering how she's going to get through the winter!

That's the first Ww2 movie with a Land rover, I believe?
Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

« Reply #9137 on: 28 September, 2020, 07:41:09 pm »
This weekend's disaster-fest line-up.

Ferocious Planet. I enjoyed this one, it's what happens if you put Irish folk in charge of interdimensional travel. O the craic! Involved the fantastic line 'don't poke the alien.' And no, really, don't. Featured that chap from Stargate Atlantis who's always good value. Don't say I don't have my Syfy casting knowledge chops. Female lead's stylish choice of heels paid off (to be fair, no one arrived at work that day expecting transdimensional travel, but the lesson I feel, is don't take your day at at the office for granted). Well you trying pulling someone out of quicksand in flats, dig in those heels and pull. The weird thing about this movie was that no ones' clothes got dirty, despite the gore, quickstand, general dirt, and sweat. Pristine (you might be dead, but there's no laundry). That was more mysterious than transdimensional travel. Also, the secret of cold fusion revealed. Use stream water and refrigerant (ammonia) from monster eggs. Sure you have to purify it by running it through a piece of tissue first.

5th Passenger. A bunch of Star Trek bit-part players get stuck in a lifepod with an alien. A hungry alien. I also quite enjoyed this one, and the twist was pleasingly well done. Admittedly, I've been stuck in worse carriages of the last train home (aka The Vomit Comet – come on Syfy, The Vomit Comet is movie concept gold, call my agent for details).

Fearing I've strayed beyond the disaster domain, we switched track to Metal Tornado. What if, say, you invertantly lost a bunch of wildly spinning magnetic energy while downloading the power from a solar flare. It's been a worry of mine for a while. And well, magnetism. Sucking up everything that's metal (aluminium, I demand you surrender to the pull) into a swirling metallic maelstrom. Bonus points for the free-range chainsaw. I cannot be the only person who sees storm chaser footage of a tornado and thinks thank god that's not metal. Also, I think the film crew must be thanked for the way they always Americanize these Canadian productions. They must runaround tearing down the Maple Leafs. If only the Americans found out The Truth.

And finally, Tornado Warning. Basically every meteorologist in American has invented an early warning system that works perfectly until the first test in front of the bigwigs, were it duly fails and discredits the creator, forcing them into LOFO-TV-5 obscuring and state college teaching positions. But at the end, it pays dividends, the bigwigs eat a big slice of humble pie, and it saves a town and a couple of wayward teenagers (who are typically cast in their late twenties). I think this one lacked teenagers, but a town and it's dullard mayor were saved. If only someone could invent – maybe a discredited seismologist has already – an earthquake early warning system!

fuzzy

« Reply #9138 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:31:33 pm »
Motherless Brooklyn. 1950s PI movie with Ed Norton as a Tourette's suffering Dick. Also features Bruce Willis not being John McLane and brothers Alec Baldwin and Willem Defoe. At least one of them is a bad guy.
Gets a  :thumbsup: from me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9139 on: 29 September, 2020, 09:09:37 am »
Motherless Brooklyn. 1950s PI movie with Ed Norton as a Tourette's suffering Dick. Also features Bruce Willis not being John McLane and brothers Alec Baldwin and Willem Defoe. At least one of them is a bad guy.
Gets a  :thumbsup: from me.

Good book, too.  I saw the film trailer before I read it, then 'saw' Ed Norton as Lionel as I was reading it. Perfect casting.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9140 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:18:48 pm »
Invasion Planet Earth

The basic storyline concept is quite good, and the script isn't too bad, but unfortunately for a film that was apparently 17 years in the making, some of the special effects are really of ludicrously poor quality and other than the lead parts, a lot of the acting is cheesy in the extreme. To be fair, it was apparently made on a very tight budget, but unfortunately I think they cut too many corners.

The title itself seems like a poor choice, although the title used during production "The Kaleidoscope Man" would have been worse. I'm sure someone could have come up with a better title, something a little more original and clever. I can see where they were going with the title, but it smacks too much of trying to attract the "Independence Day" type of crowd, which probably means that marketing types won out in choosing it.

Trailer (YouTube)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #9141 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:28:59 pm »
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

Some pics from the upcoming remake of Dune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4&feature=emb_logo

First preview.

I must not fear.... that they'll mess it up.      Visuals look OK.  Not keen on the armour, but in a blade based culture it makes sense.  They only seem to use shields once ?    Just watched it again.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/09/denis-villeneuves-dune-trailer-explained

Release now postponed until October next year.  :(   

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2020/10/11/paul-atreides-led-a-jihad-not-a-crusade-heres-why-that-matters/

An essay on the use of words & language in Dune, and on the Sufi origins of the religious background. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9142 on: 02 November, 2020, 11:27:02 pm »
Seeing the story about the Russian Sausage King earlier gave me flashbacks to an old BBC thing called "The Mushroom Picker", with a lead role for Nigel Terry (as Kostya, "The man with the meat"),  whom most people will recall as Arthur in "Excalibur".  This prompted me to finally watch "The Lion In Winter" , in which he play Prince John.

Wow!  The Ultimate Family Christmas Movie.    Henry II, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Richard, John, Geoffrey & Phillip II of France all stuck in a castle together.  Daggers drawn.

Magnificent cast & good visuals.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_in_Winter_(1968_film)   Highly recommended. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9143 on: 03 November, 2020, 06:36:13 am »
The Quiet Place, I knew what was going to happen in the end, but reasonably entertaining

Hidden Figures far more entertaining, plus the historical context. Watched because I remembered reading the story a while back on some anniversary or another. Only spoiled by KC.

THE ReZort was wonderfully silly turbo trainer fodder. Humanoids From The Deep next
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9144 on: 03 November, 2020, 06:43:46 am »
The Warlord - Charlton Heston it's going to be a long lockdown if I can't find better dvd's than this!
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #9145 on: 03 November, 2020, 09:15:23 am »
Burt Lancaster, The Train.  Be warned if you are a railway enthusiast, it has train crash footage - they must have had quite a bit of old rolling stock surplus to requirements.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #9146 on: 03 November, 2020, 03:20:57 pm »
Odd Man Out

My second favourite film (The first being The Third Man, also by Carol Reed).

The fabulous lighting and Belfast-in-the-snow settings effortlessly ride above the bug-eyed Robert Newton being Long John Silver in a great-coat.  Excellent support of James Mason from a lot of Abbey Theatre Players and a typically tight-lipped performance from William Hartnell years before he became the first Doctor Who.

Just superb.

fuzzy

« Reply #9147 on: 03 November, 2020, 03:35:06 pm »
The recent reimagining of The Invisible Man starring that woman off The Handmaids Tale.

Not a patch on the real Invisible Man but still watchable.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9148 on: 03 November, 2020, 04:08:08 pm »
The recent reimagining of The Invisible Man starring that woman off The Handmaids Tale.

I haven't seen it   ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuzzy

« Reply #9149 on: 03 November, 2020, 04:22:48 pm »

I haven't seen it   ;D
https://images.app.goo.gl/GvFvcHsjgw3wUVS76