Author Topic: Exped Megamat Duo 10  (Read 2855 times)

Exped Megamat Duo 10
« on: 01 May, 2018, 07:56:49 am »
One of these.

Very 'glamping'.

Has anybody got one or even tried one?   I would be interested in your thoughts and experiences.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Exped Megamat Duo 10
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2018, 01:01:23 pm »
Barkata has a thick Airmat, which is functionally similar, but completely lacking in insulation (and therefore not self-inflating): https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=84218.0

A warmer version for those who aren't strictly fair-weather campers seems like a good idea to me!

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2018, 01:10:28 pm »
Ah, now there is a tester.  How does she find it?

I'm thinking of our increased car-based camping requirement in the next few years as well as lots of comfort.   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2018, 01:33:59 pm »
Ah, now there is a tester.  How does she find it?

It's served her well for the last few years of a few fair-weather camping weekends and the occasional night or three on someone's floor per year.   :thumbsup:

Indeed, the pack size and weight make it practical for her to carry when she's worried that a bed she's going to be sleeping in might be incompatible with her shoulders (she's like the princess and the pea, if the pea was a tendency to painful dislocations).  She's mastered the art of schnozzeling to an acceptable level ie. one that causes less shoulder damage than sleeping on a bad bed.

A bit of insulation would be nice for actual camping, admittedly, but she's generally been fine with a layer of clothes and a proper sleeping bag (where I'd be on my Downmat 7 in the same model sleeping bag with the baffles less done up and fewer clothes, but she usually sleeps colder than me anyway).  Her main problem seems to be getting properly warm before she goes to sleep, which isn't really about insulation.  We've found a mini hot water bottle makes a huge difference to that.

No visitations or anything.

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2018, 01:53:09 pm »
bikepacker OTP has one, though I believe it's for car camping.

I have seen a photo, posted here, cyclechat or CTC, of one on the back of a bike.
It's big - the width of the rack and both panniers, and maybe 30 - 35 cm diameter.

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2018, 08:12:08 pm »
Li lo type mats (uninsulated) are fine regarding comfort but are cold so need appropriate wrappings. I can lend you one if you want to experiment.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2018, 10:12:46 pm »
So, I have bought the extra wide double.  Will fit snugly inside of the Nammatj 3GT.

Fingers crossed that it arrives before Long Itch so that it can undergo field trials...   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2018, 08:16:51 pm »
WOW.  Just WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW !!!!!!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2018, 05:37:11 am »
WOW.  Just WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW !!!!!!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:

Comfy then? :-)
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2018, 12:03:34 pm »
I was certainly impressed, it's like a real bed.