Author Topic: Leicester City  (Read 23389 times)

Re: Leicester City
« Reply #100 on: 26 April, 2016, 10:55:56 am »
Chelsea aren't good enough to "gift" anything.  even Newcastle only lost 5-1 to them.....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #101 on: 26 April, 2016, 04:55:58 pm »
It does sound like Chelsea getting their excuses in early.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #102 on: 27 April, 2016, 05:35:24 pm »
Leicester have played boring football all season (with a fair few 1-0 wins).  So they'd be worthy successors to Chelsea.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #103 on: 27 April, 2016, 05:47:01 pm »
Who said romance is dead?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #104 on: 28 April, 2016, 09:55:39 am »
Leicester have played boring football all season (with a fair few 1-0 wins).  So they'd be worthy successors to Chelsea.

That's not what I've seen.  1-0 alone doesn't necessarily mean boring (See. Basketball).

Chelsea managed to play boring football with a team that was worth as much as some countries. 
What Leicester are on the brink of doing is difficult to find a comparison for.

The odds were 5000:1 at the start of the season.  Quite a few people took out a bet on that but, if you asked them, I reckon none of them expected to win anything.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #105 on: 28 April, 2016, 10:21:34 am »
Being boring was Chelsea's ethic under Mourinho!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrew

« Reply #106 on: 28 April, 2016, 12:33:46 pm »
I find watching Leicester anything but boring. It's often nail biting, edge of the seat stuff... but then I'm a fan. Their defending a 1-0 lead is not good for the blood pressure! But they know what they're doing, it's the way they play.

And on that note, Leicester have challenged the accepted wisdom of what constitutes good football. You hear fans and pundits alike say other teams play better football, or more attractive football - and I know what they mean. It's about possession and territory, and the much loved stats seem to suggest that they higher percentage of both means a 'better' team.

Yet Leicester often win with sold all possession nor territorial advantage. They sit back, defend, disrupt, and attack on the break. It works. As opposition managers have said, they know what Leicester do but defending against is another matter.

So either we accept that 'better' does not necessarily equal 'winning' or we start having judges to award points for style.

Btw, Leicester can, and do, play the more accepted version of attractive football sometimes. I've seen them knock the ball around very quickly, one touch stuff,  tiki taka style....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Ppgm4nVUE

« Reply #107 on: 29 April, 2016, 11:50:33 am »

I thought that accolade belonged to the Gooners , where their own  fans sing   "1-0 to the Arsenal" .

It beggars belief that Leicester are still not getting all the plaudits that they deserve.
Chelsea , man ure  and  Arsenal  have all assembled the pick of the crop and still come up short. Spurs have got a few home grown players and have given a very good account of themselves.
It isn't all about how much you spend , it's about how the players all play as a team and how they are trained and managed.
 Leicester have not reached this point by a fluke .
Chelsea fans can moan that if they had played the first half of the season like they have in the second half then they would be somewhere near the top, but the fact is they didn't and they aren't.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #108 on: 01 May, 2016, 08:53:14 pm »
So near, but yet so far.

« Reply #109 on: 01 May, 2016, 09:10:14 pm »
So near, but yet so far just a little longer of a wait now.
FTFY

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #110 on: 02 May, 2016, 09:44:58 pm »
It's quite a match.

It's a bit heated at the moment. But as it stands, Leicester are Champions.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #111 on: 02 May, 2016, 09:52:36 pm »
Six minutes stoppage time!?  :o

There could be quite a spike in cardiac events tonight.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #112 on: 02 May, 2016, 09:54:34 pm »
Crikey. Cards galore.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #113 on: 02 May, 2016, 09:55:42 pm »
And Leicester win it!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #114 on: 02 May, 2016, 10:42:10 pm »
I think that that is the first time that I have ever wanted Chelsea to avoid defeat.

« Reply #115 on: 02 May, 2016, 11:26:37 pm »
And the last match for Leicester, new Champions, will be at Chelsea, last season's Champions, who stopped the challenge from Spurs.

Walt Disney could not have written it better!

Except for Spurs folk, everyone wanting Leicester to win title and so glad it happened. What a match to watch! Just need to beat Everton and Chelsea!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #116 on: 02 May, 2016, 11:55:15 pm »
..............Just need to beat Everton and Chelsea!

Why?

Well done Leicester.  What you achieved is actually impossible.  I can't believe it happened but it did.

38 games and Leicester got the most points. 

38 games don't lie, luck doesn't last 38 games.  There have been some upsets in sport before but I can't think of an upset that carried on for 38 games.

In the Championship in 2013 and fighting relegation last year.

Apparently Manchester United spent more money on players in the last 2 years than Leicester in 132 years! (So include in that Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool..etc).

Note.  Leicester starting 11 = £22 million.  Man City Starting 11 = £281 million.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #117 on: 03 May, 2016, 12:19:45 am »
Walt Disney would have written a film about SoccerBall and have four quarters in the match, with 9 men on each side, two points for a goal, one for a corner, three technical time outs per side allowed, and the whole season decided in the last second of extra-ball-time-ness in the final match which would just happen to be between the first and second placed teams who were on equal points, with equal goals scored and goals against and the same number of yellow and red cards. Oh, and the managers would have fallen out in their last college foofball match and never have spoken since then, the final scene would be of the two managers hugging with an out  of focus background of the teams hugging and both sets of spectators cheering. And hugging.

« Reply #118 on: 03 May, 2016, 12:47:51 am »
Can you imagine Matt Elliott standing for that?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #119 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:24:37 am »
Just brilliant. I wonder if this means we will see 4 4 2 come back into fashion?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Andrew

« Reply #120 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:39:49 am »
 ;D

Hay fever has started early this year; my eyes are watering.

Truly incredible stuff. 

Party time at the KP next weekend, how I wish I could be there.

Thank you Chelsea.

« Reply #121 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:17:12 am »
An excellent night for football.  Leicester winning the Premiership and Burnley guaranteeing promotion from the Championship after continuing their "unbeaten since Boxing Day" run.  22 games without a loss!  Just hope they can stay up next season.
I might just place a bet on Burnley winning the Premiership.  Stranger things have happened! :)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #122 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:39:20 am »
Is it OK to revert back to hating Chelsea now? 

I think supporting them for 96 minutes is enough for one lifetime.

« Reply #123 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:42:28 am »
I wonder if Tottenham will mange to hold on to second now or if Arsenal will take it from them ? Must be very deflating for them.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #124 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:52:50 am »
I wonder if Tottenham will mange to hold on to second now or if Arsenal will take it from them ? Must be very deflating for them.

Yes, they'd have bitten your hand off to get 2nd place at the start of the season and I bet they couldn't care less about 2nd place at this precise moment.
Spurs have only lost 4 games, they can be rightly miffed not to have won the title with that record.

Their season is full of, frankly, amazing statistics.  They've only lost 3 games so far this season and they've won as many as Chelsea and Everton combined !!!

Anyone placing a bet on the Champions League?