Author Topic: Leicester City  (Read 23377 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Leicester City
« Reply #125 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:16:31 am »
It's not Disney, but there is a film being made about Jamie Vardy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #126 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:18:05 am »
....I bet they couldn't care less about 2nd place at this precise moment.

Their fans certainly will! They absolutely have to finish above Arsenal now or they may as well top themselves!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #127 on: 03 May, 2016, 04:42:49 pm »
..............Just need to beat Everton and Chelsea!
Why?

Because with 3 games to go it was theoretically possible for Spurs to win the title.  However, Spurs failed to win at Chelsea and Leicester became Champions.  If Leicester beat Everton, or Chelsea, or both, they will have won outright no matter what Spurs could have done.  That is why it is important for Leicester to win outright rather than have folk reflect in years to come that Spurs lost the Championship rather than Leicester winning it.  I'm sure this is not lost on either Ranieri or the players.  No decrying what Leicester have achieved and I'm extremely happy with the outcome, but up until the 83rd minute last night, Spurs were on course and that is why another win by Leicester will show they won by their own effort and not the efforts of Chelsea.  And I'm sure they will win!

« Reply #128 on: 03 May, 2016, 05:13:52 pm »
.....but up until the 83rd minute last night, Spurs were on course and that is why another win by Leicester will show they won by their own effort and not the efforts of Chelsea.  And I'm sure they will win!

IMO that is irrelevant. Every team in the League was "On course" at some point in the season, it just so happens that Spurs were the last team who could possibly still be on course. Leicester have amassed more points than anyone else over the whole season and what any of the other teams have or haven't done makes no difference. Even if Leicester lose their remaining matches...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #129 on: 03 May, 2016, 05:58:23 pm »
Okay, without having to read the whole thread can someone explain to me  a) why Leicester City winning at sportsball is front-page news?  and  b) what it's got to do with Lineker's pants?

« Reply #130 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:07:55 pm »
a) Because they've done the soccer equivalent of a second-year pro domestique winning the Tour and (b) because even Gary, who is a known Leicester fan, thought it so impossible, when they did well early in the season, for them (or any such team) to keep it up, that he offered to appear on Match of the Day in his pants if they did.

It's hard to compare sports but, on straight bookmakers' odds, you could get 5000:1 against Leicester winning, at the start of the season. Such high odds are rare for any competitor/team in any competition to then go on and win against.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #131 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:32:55 pm »
Ah, well done them (apart from the pants thing).   :thumbsup:

red marley

« Reply #132 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:35:05 pm »
There's something else too (apart from a classic story arc of underdogs coming back from the brink of annihilation to become champions).

Since the inception of the Premier League, only 5 different teams had ever won the title. With big money being offered for TV rights, top-flight football had been transformed into something where the rich got richer and the poor, poorer. Clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City in particular, but several of the other winners were seen increasingly as buying their way to the top.

Leicester have overturned that orthodoxy in that a collection of players and managers previously perceived as (relatively) minor have pulled together and succeeded with hard work and team spirit where big money had failed other teams. This has resonance beyond the sport and justifiably deserves coverage outside of the sports pages.

Of course all of the above is relative. Leicester are still backed by a multi-billionaire and have players with multi-million pound salaries. But relative to others, an order of magnitude less than many of the teams they have out-performed.

Andrew

« Reply #133 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:41:34 pm »
The odds offered at the start of the season are a little misleading. It's led to papers reporting that Leicester's odds of winning gthw Prem were the equivalent of finding Elvis on the moon (or whatever) Which is of course nonsense. We all know Elvis wasn't a Clanger.

That aside, though numerically equivalent to a lunar Elvis, the odds might more correctly be described as 'no f-ing chance'... but slightly more chance than discovering Lord Lucan in your attic.... if you get my drift.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #134 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:42:17 pm »
a) Because they've done the soccer equivalent of a second-year pro domestique winning the Tour and (b) because even Gary, who is a known Leicester fan, thought it so impossible, when they did well early in the season, for them (or any such team) to keep it up, that he offered to appear on Match of the Day in his pants if they did.
Actually, he said naked, but since it became a possibility, he's backtracked.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #135 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:52:06 pm »
Actually, he said naked, but since it became a possibility, he's backtracked.
I think he said he'd do it on the first day of next season, so he has about three months to grow a beard a la Wowbagger.

« Reply #136 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »
He just needs to dig out some shorts he wore in the 80s. They weren't much bigger than underpants!

« Reply #137 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:19:27 pm »
Tweets shown here about what Lineker said he would do.  Never heard/saw the naked comment and he probably knew that would be out of bounds anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36192189

Andrew

« Reply #138 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:33:52 pm »
Never heard/saw the naked comment

No me neither. Perhaps wishful thinking on someone's part?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #139 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:36:18 pm »
Note.  Leicester starting 11 = £22 million.  Man City Starting 11 = £281 million.
When they heard that the Americans had offered £100m for Osama bin Laden, Man City immediately offered £110m.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #140 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:54:03 pm »
.....but up until the 83rd minute last night, Spurs were on course and that is why another win by Leicester will show they won by their own effort and not the efforts of Chelsea.  And I'm sure they will win!

IMO that is irrelevant. Every team in the League was "On course" at some point in the season, it just so happens that Spurs were the last team who could possibly still be on course. Leicester have amassed more points than anyone else over the whole season and what any of the other teams have or haven't done makes no difference. Even if Leicester lose their remaining matches...
+1

they could field their reserve/youth team for the last games. Spurs have lost, fair and square.

Does anyone have a good link comparing squad salaries for all 20(??) Premier  teams? I know LCFC are well behind Chelchester, but not sure about compared to the true minnows.

Oddly, the BBC World Service news seems utterly obsessed with this story. They keep finding fans in obscure far-flung  lands!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #141 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:48:47 pm »
Okay, without having to read the whole thread can someone explain to me  a) why Leicester City winning at sportsball is front-page news?  and  b) what it's got to do with Lineker's pants?

Excellently explained by  everyone in general
and by
a) Because they've done the soccer equivalent of a second-year pro domestique winning the Tour

But also....
Because nothing much else was happening.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #142 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:53:11 pm »
Oddly, the BBC World Service news seems utterly obsessed with this story. They keep finding fans in obscure far-flung  lands!

Something tells me they will be easier to find this year than last.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #143 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:24:51 pm »
He just needs to dig out some shorts he wore in the 80s. They weren't much bigger than underpants!

Hopefully he would have washed the shorts first, given his previous:

Lineker's Lemond moment
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

« Reply #144 on: 04 May, 2016, 07:57:42 am »
..and before all this I was never quite sure exactly where Leicester was.  Other than coming before Lincoln and Loughborough (alphabetically) and being nowhere near Leeds (in football).
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #145 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:04:49 am »

..and before all this I was never quite sure exactly where Leicester was.  Other than coming before Lincoln and Loughborough (alphabetically) and being nowhere near Leeds (in football).
Come and have a look - we've got some great cycling in the county around the city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Andrew

« Reply #146 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:09:55 am »
Come and have a look - we've got some great cycling in the county around the city.

I've got to admit, it has made me feel just a little nostalgic/homesick.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #147 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:28:47 am »
[..and before all this I was never quite sure exactly where Leicester was.  Other than coming before Lincoln and Loughborough (alphabetically) and being nowhere near Leeds (in football).
[/quote]
Lincoln has the Roman Empire's most northerly vineyard, Leicester has crisps, sounds like a party!

« Reply #148 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:05:25 am »

Quite true-Leicester are nowhere near Leeds in football terms .
LUFC won the First Division 3 times and were runners up 5 times.
Also runners up in the European Cup and twice winners of the Inter cities cup which is probably  now the Europa league.
So Leicester have a bit of catching up to do  ;)  MOT.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #149 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:40:21 am »
Leicester now have to prove they are not Blackburn Rovers, never mind Leeds.  :-\