Author Topic: Leicester City  (Read 23376 times)

Re: Leicester City
« Reply #150 on: 04 May, 2016, 01:43:43 pm »
Leicester have overturned that orthodoxy in that a collection of players and mangers...

Poor, but with stable structures.

Andrew

« Reply #151 on: 04 May, 2016, 03:35:20 pm »
Leicester now have to prove they are not Blackburn Rovers, never mind Leeds.  :-\

I don't think they have anything left to prove tbh. I think Jo summed it up very well.

Whatever might happen next season will take nothing away from the achievements of this.

Edit: for those who might not quite see why Leicester's is such an achievement, read the following...

http://twohundredpercent.net/obligatory-leicester-city-think-piece/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #152 on: 04 May, 2016, 03:42:31 pm »
I didn't mean prove in that sense. I agree, for them they've done something amazing and that's not going to be affected by whatever happens in the future. But in the sense that people have been talking about this being the overturning of an established big-money order.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #153 on: 04 May, 2016, 06:31:32 pm »
Leicester now have to prove they are not Blackburn Rovers, never mind Leeds.  :-\

Ranieri is a realist on such matters:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36199417

« Reply #154 on: 04 May, 2016, 06:37:52 pm »
Meanwhile, even the Parliament and the PM is getting involved with Mr Lineker's underpants:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-36205082

We await what John Wittingdale MP has to say on the matter as Mr Lineker appears to have a view on him:

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/727881666174320640

red marley

« Reply #155 on: 04 May, 2016, 06:46:44 pm »
I quite like Corbyn's PMQ today on that theme

I join the Prime Minister in congratulating Leicester City on their amazing achievement. I hope it's not an indication he's going to support another football team. Or is he going to stick with two he's got already?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #156 on: 08 May, 2016, 05:21:57 pm »
Tottenham's result today will give Leicester an even bigger margin of victory than seemed likely only a week ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andrew

« Reply #157 on: 08 May, 2016, 05:46:27 pm »
Tottenham imploded at Chelsea and are now seemingly sulking  ;)

I reckon Newcastle will beat them next week end and they'll end up finishing third. And I'm not saying that with any degree of gloat nor taunt - I actually think that's what will happen.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #158 on: 08 May, 2016, 08:04:14 pm »
so, do Leicester need to win all their matches now to be considered worthy of the title  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #159 on: 08 May, 2016, 09:04:52 pm »
so, do Leicester need to win all their matches now to be considered worthy of the title  ???

No... but they seem to be doing it anyway. 

1 game left to play, 10 points above Spurs.  In the end it wasn't even close.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #160 on: 08 May, 2016, 11:12:24 pm »
And the last match for Leicester, new Champions, will be at Chelsea, last season's Champions, who stopped the challenge from Spurs.

Walt Disney could not have written it better!

Except for Spurs folk, everyone wanting Leicester to win title and so glad it happened. What a match to watch! Just need to beat Everton and Chelsea!

Andrew

« Reply #161 on: 09 May, 2016, 06:23:18 am »

There are some that will never consider Leicester "worthy" champions.

Not enough possession, nor pass completion. It's not 'beautiful' football. You have to be able to knock the ball endlessly around your own half; square passes, back passes, jeez ANY pass - so long as it keeps those important stats up. Sod trying to score.

Nah, Leicester are 'long ball merchants'; hoofing it up for Vardy to score. That's not attractive football. It's not even cricket.  And they're lucky; with injuries and suspensions and the referring and the weather. And they haven't had to play anyone yet.  Teams just rolled over and let Leicester beat them. 

It's been a glorious, glorious 12 months to be a Leicester fan. Not just for the results but also for the way it was achieved. I've no right to be proud... but I am, and have been tearful several times over the last week. It just wasn't 'supposed' to happen, Leicester are not worthy.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #162 on: 09 May, 2016, 08:52:47 pm »
They are a damned sight more worthy than pretty well everyone who has won the premiership hitherto. I reckon the last comparatively "worthy" champions of English football were Nottingham Forest.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #163 on: 09 May, 2016, 10:10:53 pm »

There are some that will never consider Leicester "worthy" champions.

Not enough possession, nor pass completion. It's not 'beautiful' football. You have to be able to knock the ball endlessly around your own half; square passes, back passes, jeez ANY pass - so long as it keeps those important stats up. Sod trying to score.

Nah, Leicester are 'long ball merchants'; hoofing it up for Vardy to score. That's not attractive football. It's not even cricket.  And they're lucky; with injuries and suspensions and the referring and the weather. And they haven't had to play anyone yet.  Teams just rolled over and let Leicester beat them. 

It's been a glorious, glorious 12 months to be a Leicester fan. Not just for the results but also for the way it was achieved. I've no right to be proud... but I am, and have been tearful several times over the last week. It just wasn't 'supposed' to happen, Leicester are not worthy.

I honestly don't know any football fan that thinks they aren't worthy champions.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #164 on: 10 May, 2016, 08:49:12 am »
Bocelli singing at the reception for Leicester was rather good.

Andrew

« Reply #165 on: 10 May, 2016, 10:18:27 am »
I honestly don't know any football fan that thinks they aren't worthy champions.

A circular definition perhaps  ;)

But indeed, yes, by far the majority of folk do recognise what's happened.

The funny thing is - and I'm as guilty as anyone for lapsing into it, as I did a little above - is that the entire nature of being a 'fan' is that you sometimes get a little one-eyed or parochial. I'm led to believe (oh, that reliable cop-out) from reading a Leicester fans forum that there are some comments on other fan forums that smack of bitterness. And that is to be expected, they are fans in the comfort of their own. With rational and reasoned heads on, in a more public environment, I suspect even they would acknowledge the achievement. Being a fan means not always being rational.  It's all a game  :)

Andrew

« Reply #166 on: 10 May, 2016, 10:31:12 am »
Bocelli singing at the reception for Leicester was rather good.

I wanted to enjoy it but, tbh, I felt a tad uncomfortable. There were sections of the crowd that didn't show 'due reverence'. Either too pissed up and/or having a good time. Ranieri visibly tried to quieten those sections. Apparently, Bocelli couldn't be heard throughout the ground - that might explain it, might.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #167 on: 10 May, 2016, 05:05:05 pm »
........... that there are some comments on other fan forums that smack of bitterness.

I find that easy to believe.

« Reply #168 on: 10 May, 2016, 05:32:09 pm »
There's likely to be a lot of stuff about Ipswich having as much a claim on a fairytale as Leicester. That's going to be generated by renewed interest in Alf Ramsey, which will lead on to stuff about Bobby Robson, the Ipswich UEFA cup win, and a diversion to whether Brian Clough should have been the England manager. The press will be keeping that powder dry for the 50th anniversary.
http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/23-Season-in-brief/1939-division-one-1961-62

« Reply #169 on: 10 May, 2016, 05:52:20 pm »
They are a damned sight more worthy than pretty well everyone who has won the premiership hitherto. I reckon the last comparatively "worthy" champions of English football were Nottingham Forest.

What about Aston Villa in 1981 and Everton in 1985 and 1987?   After that the money certainly began to bite.

Leicester have done a great job and all credit to them but they also are not poor having billionaire owners, lots of television money and the financial muscle to pull a manager with the class and reputation of Ranieri.    They were simply the best 'team' rather than the most expensive gaggle of millionaires.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #170 on: 10 May, 2016, 06:29:56 pm »

What about Aston Villa in 1981 and Everton in 1985 and 1987?   After that the money certainly began to bite.

Or Blackburn Rovers in 1994-95?  Though a certain rather pricy Geordie striker had a lot to do with that one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #171 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:41:10 pm »

Or Blackburn Rovers in 1994-95?  Though a certain rather pricy Geordie striker had a lot to do with that one.

Blackburn in 1994/95 spent more on their side than Leicester in 2015/16 I'd wager.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #172 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:55:31 pm »

Blackburn in 1994/95 spent more on their side than Leicester in 2015/16 I'd wager.
Yes, I'd doubt that Blackburn would spend any money on Leicester.

« Reply #173 on: 15 May, 2016, 06:31:30 pm »
JD, you are a very naughty boy.  Fingers crossed for the play-offs!

It's been a fascinating season: 10 man Newcastle ("my" team, along with Rochdale) humiliate Spurs in the final game, having already been relegated.  Sunderland deservedly stayed up and in the process have scored more goals than Manchester United, who finish 6th.  Leicester's story could only be improved by shirts of a slightly darker blue.  Arsenal finish second in spite of their manager being continually hounded by the most ungrateful set of fans in English League history: they've been in the top four, I think pretty well every season he's been there.  They don't deserve him.

Edit:  JD, I've just found out that Forest Green lost the play-off.  Really sorry about that.  No consolation that Grimsby play in humbug stripes, too.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #174 on: 15 May, 2016, 09:31:34 pm »
We used to play in those colours until we went sustainable.

I watched  the match in a pub somewhere northwards, and was joined by some other footer fans who said "aah, proper football"

Losing two goals in a few minutes knocked the stuffing out of us, although our goal was a delight. <cries into beer>