Author Topic: Southend pier gets new trams  (Read 1358 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Southend pier gets new trams
« on: 15 January, 2020, 10:22:10 pm »
https://www.southend.gov.uk/news/article/1834/proposed_designs_revealed_for_new_pier_trains

Key features of the new trains will include:

Increased capacity (from 180 to 244)
         Increased wheelchair capacity (minimum of six spaces per train with every carriage being wheelchair accessible)
         Battery electric
         Potential panoramic roof on one or more passenger cars
         Speakers and display monitors
         On board Wi-Fi
         USB charging points
         GPS triggered audio announcements
         On board CCTV
         Hearing loop system and braille driver alert
Construction of the new pier trains is set to begin mid-2020, with plans in place to replace the existing trains anticipated to take place in 2021, and the council set aside £3.25m in the 2019/20 budget to complete the work.

I'm sure we're all deeply disappointed that Wowbagger has neither managed to ensure cycle carriage on these trains (trams?) nor even kept us informed of this vital development.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Southend pier gets new trams
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2020, 10:25:54 pm »
I'm wondering if a "braille driver alert" means a bell-push with '⠎' embossed on it?

Cycles aren't usually permitted on trams, are they?  Unless you use Brompton tactics...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2020, 11:04:00 pm »
Or that the driver is alert because he's navigating by braille?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2020, 08:10:56 am »
Or that the driver is alert because he's navigating by braille?

Given that it's just over a mile dead straight with buffers at both ends the driver could probably do so just by feel!

Southend used to be regular haunt when I lived on the London/Essex border - the Kursall amusement park, the pier, TOTS (Talk of The South "nightclub"), 10 pin bowling (open all night on Fridays and Saturdays, free breakfast if you were still there at 0600) ..... and the occasional cycle ride along the A127 from Chigwell (even then most of the road had cycle-paths both sides)

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2020, 08:37:05 am »
Sarfend - destination for my first long bike ride. Harringay and back, probably aged about 12!.
As my learned friend has said - that A127 was endowed with lovely pre-war concrete slab cycle paths pretty much all the way.

There also used to be a random direct Eastern Counties bus route to Southend from Wood Green (whose garage was the set for :On The Buses')
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2020, 09:39:08 am »
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this.

I recall the last lot of trains being introduced. It was 1986. I recently made reference to the event in another post.

I've never thought about taking a bike on the train (trains, not trams - I think they have 3 or 4 carriages). I don't think bikes are allowed on the pier, but ICBW.

I can't see much point in "battery electric" since currently (!) they are all mains electric. Why cart a gurt big battery up and down for a trip of a bout 1.25 miles?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2020, 10:06:57 am »
How many times is this now that new trains have been announced?  New electric trains have been promised multiple time since they ceased running in the late 1970s - and, IIRC, only one was ever delivered and is only used part time.  I wouldn't go holding my breath, given the competency (or lack thereof) and record of the Council with such projects...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2020, 10:22:09 am »
I've only been to Southend once. Someone tried to rob us on the train home, there was a fight because if you're going to steam a train, don't pick the post-pub express. I ended up sat on struggling robber for thirty minutes trying to persuade several other passengers that murder was still a crime in Essex (I think and to be honest he wasn't very appreciative of my efforts). The driver ignored the alarm till Shenfield, where he got off, peeked through the window and ran away (we never saw him again). Eventually, we let the wannabe robbers escape because we wanted to go home and the police hadn't shown up. About 3am, two PCs appeared. the station was locked apparently, they'd been outside waiting to be let in. So anyway, they left empty-handed, at which point we were left on our own train in the middle of an empty, unstaffed station. Many, many calls later someone appeared and probably regretted it, has he to arrange taxis for about 100 people. I think we got home at 6am.

So yes, build the wall. Around Essex.

« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2020, 02:23:37 pm »

I can't see much point in "battery electric" since currently (!) they are all mains electric. Why cart a gurt big battery up and down for a trip of a bout 1.25 miles?

According to Wikipedia the current trains are diesel powered.

I can recall the enclosed 1949 trains, and have memories of the previous trains which were open sided toast rack style with chains across the entries.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2020, 04:08:39 pm »

According to Wikipedia the current trains are diesel powered.

I can recall the enclosed 1949 trains, and have memories of the previous trains which were open sided toast rack style with chains across the entries.

They have one electric train - the others are diesel.  But Wow is right - the system is electrified so there's no need to use batteries (although I suspect this may be a reporting issue, rather than a design issues).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2020, 04:47:49 pm »
It was third rail electric, but that was scrapped when it was rebuilt in the 1980s.