Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 473353 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4875 on: 08 March, 2024, 10:27:47 pm »
The lack of pillows is a them not a you problem, they still have a duty not to put you at harm or risk of bedsores but then I'm bolshy like that.

It winds me the fuck up when hospitals can't provide extra pillows, blankets or towels as needed. There is simply no reason not to have a well stocked linen cupboard with said items in surplus at all times. It used to be possible!

« Reply #4876 on: 09 March, 2024, 07:27:16 pm »
Now back at home and have spent most of the day sleeping 😴. So far so good  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4877 on: 09 March, 2024, 08:04:16 pm »
That’s a relief! Hope the improvement continues.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

barakta

« Reply #4878 on: 09 March, 2024, 10:49:49 pm »
Hospital stays usually involve a sleep-catchup phase. Hope you feel much better soonest and can see a urologist about the root cause of needing a sodding catheter ASAP.

« Reply #4879 on: 10 March, 2024, 08:27:59 am »
I have been given a appointment at heatherwood hospital ascot on 20th March with urology. At 0845  in the morning. I don't think I can cycle there and the bus doesn't start early enough and awkward to Get to. I  don't know anyone who could give me a lift so  a expensive taxi both ways it will probably be.. if they follow what they did last time they will remove the catheter and fill me up and see if my plumbing works. If  it does no more catheter  :thumbsup:, if  it doesn't..........

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4880 on: 10 March, 2024, 09:22:20 am »
Now back at home and have spent most of the day sleeping 😴. So far so good  :)

:thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4881 on: 10 March, 2024, 09:23:15 am »
Cross-posted. Good luck for 20th.

« Reply #4882 on: 10 March, 2024, 09:35:41 am »
I have been given a appointment at heatherwood hospital ascot on 20th March with urology. At 0845  in the morning. I don't think I can cycle there and the bus doesn't start early enough and awkward to Get to. I  don't know anyone who could give me a lift so  a expensive taxi both ways it will probably be.. if they follow what they did last time they will remove the catheter and fill me up and see if my plumbing works. If  it does no more catheter  :thumbsup:, if  it doesn't..........

I hope they can sort out your health problem.
Transport - I don't know where you live, but in our area there is a volunteer patient transport charity.
The NHS will only provide transport if the patient can't walk into the hospital, but the charity will help anyone who can't get to hospital for exactly the reasons you list. Your GP surgery should be able to provide a contact number.
My husband has to have injections in his eyeballs. On one occasion I could not drive him to and from the appt. The charity could arrange a volunteer, who would not only do the driving, but would go to the eye dept and guide him back to the car. No charge, but we could send a donation if we wanted to.
(In the end, I relented, cancelled a day of my holiday and took him myself, but we may well need them in the future)   

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4883 on: 10 March, 2024, 10:38:02 am »
Just had a glorious bout of hypoglycaemia, shaking so much I couldn't have used the BG meter even if I'd wanted to.  Put in a couple of Krisprolls® with butter, a madeleine and a couple of espressos.  Should be going hyper just in time for lunch. All the fun of the fair.

barakta

« Reply #4884 on: 10 March, 2024, 01:56:48 pm »
Good luck for 20th March, also agree that you should look into hospital transport volunteers or taxi reimbursement as buses don't start in time. PALS should be able to help and signpost if you phone them and explain the issues.

« Reply #4885 on: 10 March, 2024, 07:48:52 pm »
I feel like I am going backwards again good bowel  late morning  but need to  go again and I am feeling conterpated
Again. I have given up and taken half a movicol..
I am going to try sleep after I done my postes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4886 on: 12 March, 2024, 08:30:22 am »
I now have a tasteful pink patch about the size of a CR2032 on the top of my left forearm, where the nice dermatologist lady took the liquid N2 to it.  It crossed my mind this morning that it probably won't tan this summer, so I'll have a nice white or pink or angry red sun-scorched blotch there for evermore.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4887 on: 13 March, 2024, 06:24:24 pm »
So, today the (very nice) quack took some photies of the lump on my face. She seemed quite excited to do so. We had a look at Google images of the various likely things that lumps the face can be. She reckons it's most likely a basal cell carcinoma. I'm getting referred to Dermatology (average 22 week waiting time in NHS Teuchter) to no doubt get hacked with a rusty scalpel by a recently graduated PSO leech.

I have an appointment with the Plastic Surgery Clinic quacks next month...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4888 on: 13 March, 2024, 08:05:27 pm »
D is still waiting for his...

« Reply #4889 on: 14 March, 2024, 01:21:19 pm »
I received a text from my gp practice inviting me to submit blood pressure readings.
They informed me that they have a machine in there that 'robotically' does it for you.

It is a very simple process. I took three readings and they were all different.

No1: 149/93 hr 59
No2: 142/92 hr 60
No3: 138/85 hr 58

I returned home, replied to the text and submitted reading no:3.

« Reply #4890 on: 14 March, 2024, 05:28:32 pm »
My GP said to take three readings and record the lowest. In my case that's usually the second one. Maybe I get so excited that it's lower than the first that my BP then rises😀

« Reply #4891 on: 14 March, 2024, 08:48:39 pm »
A submit your own blood pressure readings is what the over 40s NHS 5 year health checkup has turned into for my GP surgery.

« Reply #4892 on: 14 March, 2024, 09:42:24 pm »
It is a very simple process. I took three readings and they were all different.

It jumps around all over the place, and three readings in succession after sitting for 5 minutes prior is the suggested way to go.
I'm a classic white coat syndrome sufferer, so never really take a lot of notice if it ever gets taken be a professional at the surgery, or if I used the machine in the surgery.
My doc wanted me to go on meds, but I convinced her I'll go away, have a look at a few things [namely my booze consumption] and report back. I've had two occasions with a 24 ambulator[a device wore for 24hrs taking a reading every hour] over the years, which, although a bit inconvenient during the day, was very interesting to see the results. Interesting to see what happened to it at night, and also when a did a session on the turbo......on purpose - 'through the roof' comes to mind  lol
I have a couple of monitors at home now, and I go through spells where I take regular readings and spells where ICBA. I've been borderline hypertensive for a long time.
Well worth keeping an eye on it though.
There is a reason why it's called the silent killer.
Garry Broad

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4893 on: 15 March, 2024, 07:40:52 am »
I take my BP weekly, using a Withings cuff.  It’s automatically set to take three readings.

Despite being obese I have relatively normal BP, which I think somewhat bugs the quacks.  I had one GP start talking about statins and BP medication almost as soon as I entered the room… and then he checked what my test results were.   That was satisfying!  :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4894 on: 15 March, 2024, 09:36:17 am »
I'm making huge strides in recovering from frozen shoulder.
Seen physio, who approved of my self-researched exercises and added a few more. Also gave guidance on how far to push it.

I'm mostly working with therabands. Key to using these is not in the exertion (stretch) phase, but a very slow relaxation. 'Frozen shoulder' seems to be adhesions between muscle and scar tissue. Lengthening muscles involves individual bundles relaxing, increasing the load on adjacent, contracted, bundles. I hypothesize that this interaction is breaking the scar tissue up.

This is one instance where a desk job is an advantage. I have bands rigged so I can do a few reps every time it occurs to me.

The shoulder is still weak, less than 50% normal strength. But range of movement and strength are returning.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

« Reply #4895 on: 15 March, 2024, 01:02:57 pm »
That's great news Mr C, and good hard work on your part. Frozen shoulder is a complete bitch of a condition, so I hope it continues improving with the right kind of physio.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4896 on: 15 March, 2024, 02:17:17 pm »
Way to go, Mr. C.

Meanwhile, my blood glucose level was doing wot it otter this morning, 120 mg/dL an hour after breakfast: feeling smug. Saw doc and he cut my dosage in half. :D

« Reply #4897 on: 15 March, 2024, 02:19:43 pm »
I'm making huge strides in recovering from frozen shoulder.

Good to hear, Mr C.

« Reply #4898 on: 15 March, 2024, 11:03:26 pm »
There is a big link between frozen shoulder and dupuytrens.  There is also evidence that the fibroblasts under tension relax and lengthen.  The tension has to be slow and constantish.  your exercises are entirely correct

barakta

« Reply #4899 on: 16 March, 2024, 02:11:37 am »
Whoever sent the shoulder gremlins to me, please take them back!

I expected to have a sore hip from replicating my excellent hydro session exercises in the colder sports centre pool. Nope. Hip is fine. Left shoulder spazzed up my entire neck and the right shoulder is distinctly iffy. Hoping this dual shoulder-gremlins doesn't stop me sleeping tonight.