Author Topic: Autoland  (Read 4744 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Autoland
« Reply #25 on: 05 April, 2017, 03:31:04 pm »
I've often wondered... is the Die Hard scenario feasible, where a hacker fools the plane's systems into thinking it is at a higher altitude than it is?

Another great christmas movie

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #26 on: 05 April, 2017, 03:32:19 pm »
.  I wasn't at all worried by the rather loud the creaking noises the plane made as I thought it was normal but no other aircraft has done it since my flight on that Tupolev.

Internal ussr flight?

« Reply #27 on: 05 April, 2017, 03:40:50 pm »
No I have never been to the USSR, it was charter flight to Turkey c. 1990.  I was doing yacht delivery and the yacht owners booked it.  The cabin interior had a rather tired look, all green formica and plastic and what I assume was the ventilation was very loud too.  it might have been the engines tho'.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #28 on: 05 April, 2017, 04:33:08 pm »
No I have never been to the USSR, it was charter flight to Turkey c. 1990.  I was doing yacht delivery and the yacht owners booked it.  The cabin interior had a rather tired look, all green formica and plastic and what I assume was the ventilation was very loud too.  it might have been the engines tho'.

I believe that safety standards in the ussr were a little less stringent than the rest of the world.  But my experience was very similar to yours, except there was a chicken in the cabin.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #29 on: 05 April, 2017, 05:04:47 pm »
It's the best one!

Since Die Hard is clearly the best film ever made, I doubt that  ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30 on: 05 April, 2017, 06:13:11 pm »
I'm pretty sure I'd a flight back from Greece that did an automatic landing.   The pilot was an Australian or New Zealander and told us the plane had landed itself just after it did it.  That must have been c. 2000 ad or earlier.  He also made some crack about landing in the water but that was before we took off :o

I also remember my first airline flight.  I wasn't at all worried by the rather loud the creaking noises the plane made as I thought it was normal but no other aircraft has done it since my flight on that Tupolev.

The driver of my first ever flight told us the same thing, and that was in a VC-10 in Tehran in 1972.  It was notably smoother than the same plane had done in Rome a couple of hours earlier too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime