Author Topic: DIY BODGE ADVICE  (Read 4853 times)

Wal

DIY BODGE ADVICE
« on: 14 November, 2013, 05:56:23 pm »
I have an older giant x-speed sitting in the shed, still a good bike, but I fancy converting it, something I have never done before. What I want to do is spray the frame, add randonnuer bars, which would include adding new brake leavers, add a brooks saddle, and the tricky part, change the fork to a non-telescopic carbon or similar... I would consider changing the tyres from 700x42mm currently to maybe 35s... the hope is that this will be my winter hack and trail bike... with shiny paintjob and chrome mudguards etc... The main problem I have is sourcing a suitable fork replacement and the bigger question: Is this a doable winter project?

Cheers, W.

Information on the bike below or at: http://wbb3.giant-community.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=880

Giant X-Speed

Frame: AluxX 6061 Lightweight aero aluminum frame
Fork: Suntour NCX-D LO suspension fork with lockout, magnesium, adjustable spring preload, 63mm axle travel
damper : -
circuit (front / rear): Shimano Nexave / Shimano New Deore LX
Brakes (front / rear): Shimano V-brakes
Wheels (hubs / rims / tires): Shimano Deore, Rigida X-plorer, Schwalbe Hurricane GX, 700x42mm 
Frame sizes: L = 54 cm. 

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: DIY BODGE ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2013, 09:29:12 pm »
I could easily do that for you - the only trouble is you're a bit more than a bus ride away.

Don't 'rattle can' the frame use a powder coater but be sure they know that the frame is aluminium - not steel.

The only difficulty you are going to have is having to source some shifters to mount on the bars. Shimano (2300 IIRC) still do 3x8 road shifters, your Nexave flat bar shifters won't do. Road bars are 23.8mm diameter (usually), flat/riser bars are 22.2mm. You may find offerings from Microshift and SunRace too, both very good or some older Sora STis would do.

Something like this would replace your suspension fork but there are lots of options in steel and alloy too. Anything 1 1/8", threadless and suitable for hybrid, cyclocross or 29er MTB.

Tyres. Go for Schwalbe 'cross tyres in 32mm or Land Cruisers. 'cross tyres are a bit knobbly bobbly but light, Land Cruisers have an on road/off road tread which rolls well on tarmac and puncture protection to boot.

HTH

luv'n'stuff

John B

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wal

« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2013, 08:39:21 am »
Hi John,

This is very kind of you to outline the equipment required... You are slightly out of my region, however, this is a project I would like to carry out myself, to get some hands on... I may even tackle the paint-job, how hard can it be  ;D

I'll start sourcing what I need and post it or pm you if I get stuck...

Cheers  :thumbsup:

W.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2013, 08:51:16 am »
.... how hard can it be  ;D

Harder than you think...

I have only ever, once, sprayed a frame, and it looked ok from a distance, but wouldn't pass close inspection (it is currently in the care of CL OTP).

For my money, by the time you have paid for primer, top coat and laquer, then totted up the time it takes you to sand, fill (if necessary), sand, prime, sand, prime again, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, lacquer, sand, lacquer, sand then leave the frame for at least 6 months for the paint to properly harden, it is cheaper and easier to just send it for painting or powder coating.

The last frame I had painted (for Mrs T) cost me ~£100 (IIRC) for the paint (there was a lot more work the frame needed so the final bill was way north of £400) but there is no way on this earth I could have even gotten anywhere close to lovely finish on that frame (it was done by someone who does this kind of thing for a living, has done for a long time and is a member on this here forum)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wal

« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2013, 09:06:17 am »

Harder than you think... by the time you have paid for primer, top coat and laquer, then totted up the time it takes you to sand, fill (if necessary), sand, prime, sand, prime again, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, lacquer, sand, lacquer, sand then leave the frame for at least 6 months for the paint to properly harden, it is cheaper and easier to just send it for painting or powder coating.

I hear ye... I was thinking more, no sand, no primer, get paint, find paintbrush, start painting...  ;D maybe not...

In hindsight, it may be worth doing a proper job, Shand cycles can do a paint job for £150.. seems ok...

Thanks,

W.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2013, 09:16:56 am »
AH! If you are doing it by brush, you will still need the sanding stages and primer.  Painting straight on top of paint, in the majority of cases is a no-no.

FWIW I had forgotten about another frame I did, which took me about 2 months of intermittent painting sessions.

Step 1) Go to Wilkinsons* and buy a couple of tins of Hammerite smooth
2) Place bike in a suitable stand (I just happened to have one that would sit nicely on the work bench
3) Apply paint
4) Repeat 3) until happy and/or bored.
5) Leave for a couple of months for paint to properly harden
6) build up bike.

I only used this method as a) I had a frame that was already primered and b) I wanted to use it as a "rat bike" fixie.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wal

« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2013, 09:38:22 am »
Time is a problem, but I am trying to be both budget and bogit aware!!

Ta,

W.

« Reply #7 on: 15 November, 2013, 01:59:09 pm »
Life's too short to rattle can a frame properly, and if you don't do it properly the paint falls off if you look at it sideways. BTDT, never again.

The last frame I refurbed, I got powder coated at an local place. A lovely job, in my choice of colour, which set me back around £70 for frame and forks. Took a couple of days from dropping it off, to collecting it.

You can get it done a lot cheaper if you shop around, do the thread masking yourself and you aren't too fussy about what colour you want. Black, silver or white batches are always being done so they can slip your frame in with the rest of the run. I've heard prices of £25 being quoted in those circumstances.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2013, 04:03:20 pm »
<snippety snip> Don't 'rattle can' the frame use a powder coater but be sure they know that the frame is aluminium - not steel.

wallace, I've had a couple of frames done by this lot: http://www.pentlandpowdercoating.co.uk/
It was either £30 or £35 for frame and forks, quick turn around and a very nice job too.
Not too far from you IIRC?
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Wal

« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2013, 05:22:18 pm »
Cheers Eck, that certainly brings doon the cost and not too far!

I have sent off an email for a quote... looks like the winter project has begun, searched out a few bits of kit today also...

Braw...  ;D

W.

Wal

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »
Well the winter project is near completion, just waiting on some ponsy mudguards and some pedals to arrive... Will post a piccy of the completed project... Thanks for all the advice...

W.

« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2014, 10:24:00 pm »
Eck.

Pentland powder coating did the minilight alloy wheels for my wife's mini years & years ago. Great job.