Poll

Do you pay for your music?

Yes, I buy it all in at least one format
There are some things I will copy/download for free
Buying music is for chumpz
I use streaming services
Misc/Other

Author Topic: Do you pay for your music?  (Read 2531 times)

Re: Do you pay for your music?
« Reply #25 on: 17 February, 2020, 04:13:54 pm »
Need to be able to pick multiple options.

I have a Spotify subscription. I also sometimes buy CDs at gigs. If I like a particular track I've heard, I'll purchase the track directly (online purchase).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #26 on: 17 February, 2020, 05:22:43 pm »
The only thing that holds me back from buying a Spotify or Applemusic subscription is that I've noticed that others that do this, simply listen to 'greatest hits' music now.  I like to listen to the dirty album tracks from my fave bands so personally I still stick to CDs.

Since I also have a fairly expensive Hi-Fi system - I'm a bit reluctant to make a £300 CD player redundant - and those things (mp3 subscription downloads are also compressed in my (admittedly very little) experience).  Spotify tracks from my TV stream sound shit in comparison...at least when I've tried on the odd occasion.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 17 February, 2020, 05:30:19 pm »
I have quite a large collection of paid-for music but I also download the .pdfs that are out of copyright, from https://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page and use Forscore when playing, reading off the ipad. It's not entirely satisfactory as the screen dims if I don't turn the page within a certain time, but having loads of printed sheets is also a nuisance. So is having, for example, Beethoven's sonatas in 3 volumes and finding the pages turning back on themselves until you have weakened the book's spine enough that the page stays open.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:20:49 pm »
I spent (to me) a small fortune back in the 90s on CDs and generally am a "buyer".  My issue is that I don't like to illegally download music, but buying second hand (where the artist makes no money) is ok.  Which makes no sense.  As a kid we used to tape music on cassettes and share music that way, is it OK to borrow a CD (from a friend or library) just to rip it?
Ironically the first CD I illegally downloaded was one that I owned, but it had anti-piracy software that prevented you from ripping it, hence having to get an illegal copy.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:33:13 pm »
... reading off the ipad ... the screen dims if I don't turn the page within a certain time ...

I too found that sometimes I want a page visible longer than the iPad does so I selected Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > Never so that I need to turn the iPad off when I am done. YMMV.

After discussion and recommendations from Helly, I bought a Bluetooth foot pedal that changes the page. It also wakes up the ipad again if it starts snoozing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #30 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:54:32 am »
The only thing that holds me back from buying a Spotify or Applemusic subscription is that I've noticed that others that do this, simply listen to 'greatest hits' music now.  I like to listen to the dirty album tracks from my fave bands so personally I still stick to CDs.

Er, no. Maybe some do, but I don't.

Albums have a flow that 'greatest hits' don't. Good albums tell a story. I listen to albums, nearly all the time. I'm sure I'm not alone, in fact I know I'm not, because I can see the 'listen' numbers against an album.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #31 on: 18 February, 2020, 10:08:36 am »
I try to listen to albums, but eventually, in many cases, it tends to devolve down to a song or two that get rated and added to a playlist. Life is too short to listen to filler tracks. Albums survive by their merits. Sometimes it's just a song. I'm not especially interested in the back catalogue of Coolio, but this boy got some moves when it comes to Gangsta Paradise.

There's nothing wrong with sharing music, that's how it gets about, we all taped off the radio and made and shared mixtapes as kids. Everyone of my era was a ninja of the play-record-pause buttons. I could silence Bruno Brookes with my mental telepathy. But that's a very different thing to habitually taking stuff for free simply because you can.

« Reply #32 on: 18 February, 2020, 10:11:01 am »
I wonder if the likes of Bruno Brooks and Simon Bates sound to young people now the way that 1930s newsreaders sound to me.