Author Topic: Help! What should we buy?  (Read 11387 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Help! What should we buy?
« on: 20 August, 2009, 06:11:41 pm »
Right... eldest_offspring's bike was booked in for a service today.  Shop rang and basically said it's fubared to the point of being unsafe and not economically viable to fix - serves us right for letting grandad help pick it 2 years ago (stoooopid choice of bike, but water under the bridge now).  So the 'bike as joint present from everyone under the sun' that he was going to get next year has just moved forwards by 12 months - he'll be 8 in a few weeks time, guess what he's getting! 

His dad is horrified by the fact that I'm considering spending 2-3 hundred squid, maybe a bit more, on a kid's bike but I've told him that it's tough, we aren't buying another one that will bust within 2 years.  (My logic is partly that this will prepare the way for MY new bike, sometime next year assuming that somewhat decrepid and elderly freebie from halfords doesn't actually fall apart or cease all forward motion before then:-)

So, what would be a good choice?  He uses his bike most days and cycles anything from the mile to and from school up to an 8-10 mile round trip on the weekend - and it's been increasing lately.  Bikes stored at home under cover and secure (i.e. in the living room) and they have weather-proof and secure bike storage at school, so I'm reasonably happy to invest a bit.  I know naff all about properly maintaining a bike, beyond putting a bit of air in the tyres and occasionally cleaning and oiling the chain but am planning to actually do something about this.  Will probably buy from one of the local bike shops - although not the one that grandad likes, which sold us the previous pile of junk.

The whole stunt riding thing is incredibly appealing to him, but we've discussed and agreed not getting a BMX as he's starting to cover a bit of distance and would like to go further - I've told him we'll consider a second hand extra bike at some point for flinging himself about on if he shows me that he can look after his 'main' bike properly.  He wants something zippy, and something light - having struggled to turn his old one over to clean the chain!  I've said yes to gears (he loves the fact that he has gears SO MUCH!) but he knows that that we're not going down the el cheapo dual suspension path again, however cool it may look.  So far, he likes the look of a Ridgeback MX24, a Scott Voltage Jnr 24, a Gazelle Shark (but that's really pushing the budget at around the £400 mark), or a Trek MT 220.  Oh, and we had a look at the islabikes site and he likes those too.  Basically, as long as it isn't pink I think he can be persuaded to like it :-) 

We're probably going to spend a fair bit of tomorrow wandering around bike shops and asking for recommendations, but I thought I'd see if there were any suggestions of what to try, and what to avoid like the plague, on here.

Thanks in advance!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Help! What should we buy?
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2009, 06:16:08 pm »
Islabikes, I'd say.

I took an odd approach for Miss Z.  To avoid derailleur gears, which I don't think are suitable for a 6 year old or, in fact, any non-enthusiast, I bought a fairly basic steel singlespeed girl's bike with horizontal dropouts and 110mm rear spacing.  It's reasonably light, with no joke suspension.  Then I bought a spare front wheel (£17!), took it to bits and built the rim onto a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed.

I'll have to fit it soon, because news from my sister-in-law's house is that Emma can actually ride a bike  :thumbsup:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2009, 07:12:57 pm »
I would look at the range of kiddy steeds by Giant.

Don't touch anything low end by Scott as they are complete dogs eggs, the BB will be made of cheese.

« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2009, 09:37:31 pm »
Definitely Islabikes. They are the best children's bikes around by quite a lot, and you get nearly their full value when it comes to selling them :). You can also have their name on the top tube - how cool is that?! 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2009, 09:43:18 pm »
Thanks for quick replies!  So... Haven't yet found a local shop with kiddy Giants, going by their websites, but will see what we turn up tomorrow.  Local bike shop 5 minutes walk from out front door, which we quite like and find very handy plus they aren't too scary for a noob in there, stock mostly Trek kids bikes (what's the general opinion of the Treks btw?).  The guy, who was pleasantly honest about the cost-effectiveness of various levels of fixing our old bikes, also said nice things about islabikes, although they don't currently stock them.  He also made the point about resale value. 

(Small person commented tonight that he was getting part of his present early because he was getting to go round all these shops tomorrow to help choose.  I think he's quite excited :-)

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2009, 09:58:11 pm »
Islabikes only sell direct. They have very accurate online sizing guides and fab cuctomer service. :)

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2009, 10:05:50 pm »
I just had a quick look at the Ridgeback MX24 and Scott Voltage Jnr 24 online, a they both have front and rear derailleur changers, which seems overkill on a bike aimed at a child of that age (especially if he hasn't had any gears up to now).

The Islabikes for this age range only seem to have rear gears (which seems more sensible), and most of the components seem to be branded, rather than just some undetermined brandless description, which seems common for a lot of the parts on the bikes I looked at.

Islabike's website looks pretty professional, and just seems very "confident", if that's the right phrase!  Given people's opinions of them, and the look and feel of things (very subjective I realise) if I was looking for a bike for an 8 year old, I think I'd look very seriously at their bikes, although I guess the whole online only sales is a bit of a bugger for a small childs instant gratification, especially if he thinks you're going to be looking at bikes in the shops, and then presumably buying him one shortly thereafter!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2009, 10:27:56 pm »
When I were a nipper we never got bikes for birthdays as "bicycles are transport not toys".
(I didn't have dolls either but that's a whole different bag o lentils).
No 2 son will soon be getting Peugeot 6 speed road bike for the mighty sum of £10 for a 12 month rental from my club. I think he might have to pretend to be interested in racing though....
Since the D.I.V.O. etc the masculine parent has purchased several piles of overweight cack with wheels for the offspring which I have muttered disparagingly about, and offspring have struggled lifting, failed to find any give in the 'suspension' and developed friction burns attempting to turn the (spit) grip shift gears.
I'd go for a Giant or a Trek if I were doing the shopping- like the Islabikes they retain their value and unlike the Islas you can try them in a shop which if he is choosing can be a bit of a plus.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2009, 10:41:00 pm »
I think an eight-year-old is mature enough to understand quality might be worth a few days' wait. (My sister opened a Post Office Savings account when she was four, so she could buy herself a bike when she was seven; I'm not expecting that degree of foresight and patience!)
He's just had one poor quality bike fail so bike failure is not outside his experience.
If you decide to go down the Islabikes route, he might enjoy a more adult approach to shopping online, while you compare images and specifications, especially weight, together.

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2009, 10:51:09 pm »
I don't know where you are located, but I think you can go along to Islabikes and try them out in person if you are close enough.

I'd agree that they are well worth the money - assuming that you want a bike and not a toy.

« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2009, 10:56:45 pm »
You can try them if you are in the vicinity - they are near Bridgenorth. They have a lovely cafe next door as well :D.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2009, 10:58:56 pm »
Delayed gratification not an issue - he knows that he'll be bikeless for at least a couple of weeks, whatever we buy.  And he's actually a reasonably clued up kid who understands that sometimes things are worth waiting for. He's been saving for a DS for a year and a half now... although he does sometimes decide that maybe he will save up for a house with a garden when he's grown up instead.

Previous lump of now-useless metal did have a rear derailleur, and he's got the concept of gears although he doesn't always make the right choices... but then who does :-)

It'll be a birthday/Christmas present because I can't afford to buy him one (well, other than one that I don't want to buy!) without a bit of financial assistance - and I've currently got 3 grandparents, 2 aunties, and possibly one great-aunty contributing to the fund!  So, together with me and his dad, split over birthday and christmas, I make that potentially 16 presents in one, and worked out per capita it'll still be one of the priciest pressies he's had from us!  If assorted other relatives decide that they want to get in on the deal it might end up just being the birthday.  I'm very certain that he doesn't see a bike as a toy - possibly as an extension of himself though :-)

I'm kind of tempted by the Trek because I feel reasonably confident in the shop.  But I'm also reasonably confident that even I could manage the level of assembly required for an islabike.  At least
one of the shops locally does test rides, which will be interesting to do.  We'll go and have a rummage around tomorrow with an open mind and a closed wallet, I think - but I shall probably be back here and would appreciate opinions about whatever recomendations we get and what he likes the look of!  

On the bright side one granny is ecstatic that I've managed to source from a friend a (second hand, good quality and reasonable nick if VERY well-loved) balance bike for the youngest_offspring and that means she gets to buy him his first bike.  For a tenner!

(By the way, you do realise I'm going to be back asking all the dumb questions again when I've saved up my pennies and birthday/christmas contributions from assorted friends and relatives and have to decide what I want, don't you!)

« Reply #12 on: 20 August, 2009, 11:11:58 pm »
Islabikes require really minimal assembly. Turn the bars is pretty much it :).

CrinklyLion

« Reply #13 on: 20 August, 2009, 11:16:02 pm »
Yeah - that's about my level :-)

Although I did manage to actually get a wheel off, remove tyre and tube, fit new rim tape/tube/tyre and get the wheel back on for one of his mates t'other day.  There may be hope for me yet!

rae

« Reply #14 on: 20 August, 2009, 11:58:52 pm »
Islabikes.  Probably not the cheapest, but my two have done big mileages on theirs going to school.  Proper bikes, properly made, no cheap bits that fall off and break. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 21 August, 2009, 12:57:21 am »
You can try them if you are in the vicinity - they are near Bridgenorth. They have a lovely cafe next door as well :D.

Bromyard.

Best to ring & book a test ride, but (because they were quiet) they were happy to help us when we were looking.

Cafe really rather good (but take cash only).
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

« Reply #16 on: 21 August, 2009, 12:42:34 pm »

Bromyard.

Best to ring & book a test ride, but (because they were quiet) they were happy to help us when we were looking.

On the basis of that, I just did have a look at the national rail site.  4 hours each way and a fifty odd quid train fare probably is a bit excessive, even if they sell really nice cake :-)

Well, we're off to wander round multiple bike shops.  We have 3 independants within walking distance, one of which is very conveniently located next to the park, where the cafe sells acceptable cake.  Wish us luck!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #17 on: 21 August, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »

Bromyard.

islabikes – high quality children's bikes for cycling families

Bromford (by Ludlow) - different "Brom"  ;)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #18 on: 21 August, 2009, 08:45:26 pm »
Well, we started off trying out a Trek something like this Compare Models of Trek Bicycles | Trek Bikes although they only had a purple flowery one in stock, which meant he strongly preferred the plain red 20" model until he got the message that we just wanted to try it for size :-)  It fitted him comfortably, he could lift it easily and he liked it.  They do 2 free services in the first year.  Lady in the shop commented that they hold their value reasonably well for resale.  They'd have the 2010 one in from around the end of the month.

Then we went to another shop, and tried one of these http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?seriesID=44&show_bike=TRUE which he didn't like as much as the next door bike, a Scott with go faster stripes and bling paint job, but the guy in the shop said that he wouldn't recommend the Scott as you were basically paying extra for the paint and not a lot else.  The ridgeback was about the right size - bit of a stretch but manageable, and has the advantage that they have them in stock now.  Would also include the first year's servicing free...

We didn't get cake from the cafe in the park.  But we did get cooked breakfasts for a late lunch :-)

Then we took the old one to the recycling spot and handed it over with the warning that it was jiggered.  They played with the front forks for about a nano-second and agreed.  They had a virtually new 45 quid 20" wheel job (6 speed, no suspension, can't remember the make) there that he rather fancied, but I pointed out that it was just the same size as the old one and he agreed that would be daft.  He did take a couple of refurbished 24" ones for a spin round the car park - but they were a bit on the big side and both were fairly hefty steel frames.  We're going to go back and see what they have next week - I like the idea of spending a hundred or so on a nice second hand one, but unfortunately a lot of what they get are the supermarket specials and halfords hand-me-downs that I'd really rather avoid.  On the plus side, I can sign up as a volunteer and they'll teach me some basic maintenance and general fettling which is a plan I like a lot.  They can't take him as a volunteer until he's 11 though - he did ask :-)

Finally, we went and tried out a Giant.  The guy in the shop was convinced that the 24" would be too big, and it did look somewhat giant, so he had a go on the 20" model.  Which looked teeny once he was on it and pedalling!  So, after somewhat lengthy repeat of the "I know it's purple, I'm not going to buy it we just want to try it for size" conversation he tried out one of there Giant Bicycles - TAFFY 225 (2009) As the chap in the shop said, you'd have to take the seat right down (and mount the reflector elsewhere, and possibly lose the seat-post mounted rear mudguard!) but he said it felt alright.  With all the gubbins still on the seat post he could pedal it OK although he was obviously overextending his leg at full stretch.  They won't even know what colour it's available in for 2010 until next week, and it would probably be available at the end of September.  I like the fact that it was available without suspension forks, unlike the other new bikes we tried.  And that the first year's servicing is included.

Or, of course, there's still the Islabikes option, which is really tempting.  I think it looks like we'd get a better quality and simpler bike from them, but it would be more expensive than any of the local offerings and it wouldn't include any servicing - which feels important to me, because I don't know how to do it myself.

Decisions, decisions.  Nice decisions though  :)

« Reply #19 on: 26 August, 2009, 12:01:10 am »
My two boys have hammered the living daylights out of their Islabikes for getting on for three years (big miles, daily school run on cnoc16's) and so far I've had to put some air in the tires, fix a puncture and put a bit  of oil on the chain. They are bullet proof.

No I tell a lie, HH2 swung his bars or did something (we're not entirely sure what - he's that kind of a lad) and damaged the front brake - a phone call to Isla and a new one was sent free of charge. I can't commend the customer service enough.
Stropping rocks

CrinklyLion

« Reply #20 on: 26 August, 2009, 12:42:45 am »
I realised that I'd missed one of the local bike shops out of our window shopping session last Friday, so tomorrow may well include a trip there.  And possibly a repeat visit to the others who may now actually have at least the blurb on the 2010 models as last week a couple of them only had 2009 girls versions of the bikes in...  We also need to find out about fitting stands and how much that would cost (it was one of his essential criteria) and I'd quite like to find out weights, which I'm struggling to find on t'interweb.

My instinct is to buy from one of the local shops - we've got several decent independants nearby, they were all helpful when we were looking, I like the idea of servicing being thrown in for the first year and I'd quite like to support the shops - use 'em or lose 'em and all that.  But the islabike is the only one we've found so far with no suspension - which is just one less thing to break.  And it was the (admittedly cheapo) front suspension forks that kablooey'd on his old bike after less than 2 years, and weren't cost-effective to repair so I'm feeling particularly twitchy about suspension.  It was a 'cheap' bike but it actually cost quite a lot of money! I also saw a couple of price lists of how much LBS charges to service and fix suspension... 

I still can't make my mind up.  And he'll probably love whatever he gets cos it'd be his bike.  I asked him which one he liked best from what we'd looked at, and he said the red/yellow/silver one - this was one of the too big and really rather hefty second hand ones, priced at about 60 quid.  But it was the one that he got to spend 10 minutes properly bombing around a car park on, so he liked it best :-)

(Incidentally, he's just discovered the concept of cycle camping.  He's trying to work out when he'll be a 'good enough cyclist' to be able to ride to his favourite campsite, near assorted grandparents.  112 miles away :-)

« Reply #21 on: 26 August, 2009, 09:21:29 pm »
(Incidentally, he's just discovered the concept of cycle camping.  He's trying to work out when he'll be a 'good enough cyclist' to be able to ride to his favourite campsite, near assorted grandparents.  112 miles away :-)

:thumbsup:

There's a good chance he is capable now, it just depends how good a pack horse you are.  ;D
Find three intermedite camp sites and take four days getting there. A couple of days / week with grand parents and then four days home.

I started touring at the age of six. <30mile/day. Dad and I used youth hostels rather than tents as then we didn't have to carry a kitchen.

Matthew

CrinklyLion

« Reply #22 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:14:50 pm »
He might make it - I don't think I would at present!  And I'm certain that my 'bike' wouldn't  ::-)

Ah well, sometime next spring it's my turn :)  And I just got my name down on a waiting list for a bike maintenance course, which also seems like a good idea.

Incidentally, we only did 3 bike shops today.  He's leaning towards Trek or Ridgeback.  And spent about 5 minutes stroking a 1500 quid carbon-framed number, which I told him he can think about when he's grown about 2 feet and got a (bloody good!)  job :D

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #23 on: 27 August, 2009, 11:06:17 am »
Can I put in another vote for Islabikes. My son's had his balance bike for 2 years, uses it every day and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Both me and my wife have sat on it and ridden it to show him how to do it and it stood up to that.

It's his third birthday next week and he's getting the next size up. It arrived last night and I'm very impressed yet again by the service, the bike, the approach to the bike and it's components.

He's not gettting anything else until we're in grown-up size territory. From then on he'll be on my bikes ;-)

« Reply #24 on: 29 August, 2009, 04:34:35 pm »
Anyone in the vicinity of Mildenhall this weekend could try Islabikes as they have a stall at the rally :). I heartily reccomend the rally for kids anyway, there is some briiliant grass track racing as well as skills and just loads of kids on bikes :D.