Author Topic: Tweed Run 2024  (Read 771 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Tweed Run 2024
« on: 02 March, 2024, 11:22:03 am »
Hi, folks. It me, so occasionally of this parish that I've probably been listed as "Missing in action, presumed dead".

As some of you know, after death by COVID, the plaid-claid zombie that is the Tweed Run clambered out of its grave last year and hasn't stopped shuffling around. It'll be emerging into the daylight again on 27th April. Tickets on sale from March 8th. What I'm looking for is prospective marshals. Some on here have done that duty in the past and can tell you that we have more fun than the paying members.

I organise a series of route-familiarisation recces before the main event, but while we encourage marshals to make at least one of those, the most important thing is to have an adequate number of competent cyclists managing the route on the day. If you're able to make it to London just for that day, and up for shepherding a group who ride at the pace of the Walking Dead (often with the same agility) in good company, just let me know on here or at marshals@tweedrun.com . A goody bag, free tea and lunch, free food and a few free drinks at the destination, hopefully a cracking afterparty (last year's was stellar). The marshal fraternity can contribute a flat cap, cravat or whatever if old-timey clobber isn't to be found in your wardrobe.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Re: Tweed Run 2024
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2024, 06:49:57 am »
Oh, I was interested cos I thunk it was River Tweed run... :facepalm:

« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2024, 06:53:26 am »
Hello Bruce  :thumbsup:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2024, 12:39:54 pm »
Is it just you running the marshalling?

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2024, 03:06:17 pm »

I organise that side, yes. When Bourne and Hollingsworth bought the brand from Ted, they eventually realised they knew nothing about organising cycling events, so they stick to the venue management and leave the route planning and the whole marshal business to me.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2024, 03:17:10 pm »

We did go down the canal one year. Nobody fell in.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2024, 03:21:14 pm »

I organise that side, yes. When Bourne and Hollingsworth bought the brand from Ted, they eventually realised they knew nothing about organising cycling events, so they stick to the venue management and leave the route planning and the whole marshal business to me.

Oh that is a large task, good luck and stay safe.

« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2024, 08:06:24 pm »

Basil wasn't on the ride then  :demon:
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2024, 08:13:15 pm »

Basil wasn't on the ride then  :demon:
;D. Correct.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2024, 01:51:34 pm »
I'm glad it's not just me...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2024, 01:59:54 pm »
I have a tweed suit. And a fedora. And a flat cap.  I shall (a) consult my diary and (ii) see if I can ride my bike in said suit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2024, 02:19:50 pm »
I have a tweed suit. And a fedora. And a flat cap.  I shall (a) consult my diary and (ii) see if I can ride my bike in said suit.

You are George Galloway AICMFP

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2024, 11:14:20 pm »

Perfectly possible in a sit-up bike, challenging on on a more aggressive frame, which is why you see a lot of the marshals in plus fours/twos. Not that we ride at race speed on the day.