Author Topic: TV or monitor for wall mounting for turbo  (Read 1316 times)

TV or monitor for wall mounting for turbo
« on: 21 December, 2019, 08:17:39 pm »
Having moved house I now need to set up the turbo again.  previously i was using a monitor sitting on a shelf just in front of me.  However said monitor does not have any ability to be wall mounted and is pretty heavy.  I am using an old Win10 PC to run trainerroad, etc. 

I use Trainerroad, some RLV and watch netflix whilst on the turbo.

So  I am looking for about 32 inch HD to mount on the wall.  i am not going to be reading text on it or anything like that.  32 inch monitors seem to be very expensive when i can get a 32-34 inch TV from ao.com for less money.

The TV option has the advantage as I see it of an ARC channel to allow me to connect to a soundbar.

Is there something I am missing for my usage which makes the monitor better or I am good to go with the TV?

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Re: TV or monitor for wall mounting for turbo
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2019, 08:25:01 pm »
TVs just show video, PC monitors have to be good at many things, and often have higher resolution and refresh rates. That's a vast simplification of a huge topic of course.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2019, 09:16:38 pm »
This may or may not be helpful, but fboab and I currently use this kind of setup:

We have 2x 32" tvs mounted on stands; she uses an Apple TV, I use an old work PC. We generally use Zwift these days, but this setup is wholly TrainerRoad compatible if that's how you want to roll.

32" TVs are cheap as chips now - I'm not sure why you'd want to use HD or a monitor. When we're doing 4+W/Kg in a sprint, screen res is pretty much the last thing on your mind.

ETA: A soundbar. Yes. We have one in the living room, which is great for Game of Thrones. Some full-on Soundbar Disco would be great for a workout I guess, but the TV sound isn't that bad, and we often connect to Discord for Zwift group/team events.

« Reply #3 on: 21 December, 2019, 09:20:51 pm »
Thank you. That is really helpful.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 21 December, 2019, 10:00:36 pm »
However said monitor does not have any ability to be wall mounted and is pretty heavy.

Does it not attach to its stand with a VESA mount (or at least have the VESA screw holes behind a proprietary quick-release stand attachment)?  That would be very unusual.

« Reply #5 on: 21 December, 2019, 10:34:30 pm »
However said monitor does not have any ability to be wall mounted and is pretty heavy.

Does it not attach to its stand with a VESA mount (or at least have the VESA screw holes behind a proprietary quick-release stand attachment)?  That would be very unusual.

Strangely not. That was my immediate thought but no VESA holes at all.