Author Topic: Windows XP Samba problem  (Read 5020 times)

Windows XP Samba problem
« on: 15 June, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »
Yesterday Samba was working fine on from this PC, but this morning, after a windows update overnight (the PC had rebooted), I can't access our main Linux server any more using this machine.

If I try and access the share using Windows Explorer, I get "Window cannot find '\\server\share\'.  Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search"

if I use a command prompt and try:

net use \\server\share /u:timo *

I get prompted for a password, as expected and then get "System error 58 has occured.  The specified server cannot perform the requested operation".

If I try and access another server, which is Solaris based rather than than Linux, and which has an older version of Samba on it, it works fine.

Similarly, if I access my account from another Windows XP box, it can access the Linux server OK.  This strongly suggests that it's this specific copy of Windows XP which has gone a bit doolally, but I can't work out what,or why. >:(

If I run smbclient on this machine (using Cygwin) it can access the server fine, as obviously can things like Winscp and Putty, so it must be something in the Windows Networking.

I've checked, and even changed a few of the Registry settings, which typically cause problems with Samba, but haven't got anywhere.  I've rebooted umpteen times (which is the normal solution to Windows Networking problems), but that's achieved nothing.

I've uninstalled, and reinstalled Windows Networking, to no avail.

I've Googled around, and found nothing useful, and I'm starting to run out of things to try, as well as run out of time!

The Samba logs, as ever, are full of various fairly meaningless entries, none of which are obviously errors.

Can anyone make any suggestions of things which I could look at or try, or any other software that might find any problems?

I hate Windows Networking, it's always causing these sort of intractable problems, but often after a major bit of swearing I can generally solve it, this one, however, is proving to be a git.
Actually, it is rocket science.

eclipse

Re: Windows XP Samba problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2011, 01:03:52 am »
Hi Timo,

I am having the exact same problem on the exact same time as you. I googled for solution and this is what I've found.

https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8238

Apparently it's a windows update that causes WinXP SP3 machines using unencrypted passwords to fail connecting to Samba servers. Uninstalling the update should fix the problem. But that didn't work for me though because I did a terrible thing. I did system restore and couldn't anymore uninstall the update. Tried installing it again then uninstall, still didn't work for me.

If you found any solution, please do reply back.

Thanks,
Edward

« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2011, 08:13:54 am »
Looks like there is no solution at present bar changing to using encrypted passwords. I guess the Samba guys will issue a fix pretty soon though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2011, 08:37:32 am »
Eclipse's Google-fu is clearly better than mine!

I'd really rather not have to enable encrypted passwords, there are reason why we didn't originally, and I imagine it would require reconfiguring all the clients. :-\

I may try dropping back to one of the older versions that are listed as possibly working, at least as an interim solution.  In the meantime we've disabled auto-updates on machines which haven't suffered from this problem (and virtually all our machines are XP or Windows 7, so are prone to this).

UKLURKER

« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2011, 08:48:54 am »
Samba problem caused by Windows update Kb2536276.

Unabale to open samba directory

go to add/remove programs
click 'show updates'.

remove Kb2536276

restart

UKLURKER

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2011, 09:57:39 am »
then.....so it doesn't install itself again! ;)

run windows update from Internet explorer, CUSTOM

untick Kb2536276

click OK

ckick 'do not notify me of this upodate again'.

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2011, 11:57:31 am »
Cool stuff UKLURKER, that seems to solve it (for WinXP, I've yet to check Win7). :thumbsup:

I've only wasted most of two days with this, but at least I can get back to other important stuff now.