Author Topic: Wireless (radio) access points  (Read 1015 times)

Wireless (radio) access points
« on: 15 December, 2015, 09:47:12 am »
We have broadband terminated in the front corner of the house with a wireless router.  Due to its position, the back first floor especially is is a bit dead.  So we fitted another into the loft and wired it to the downstairs one to service the back of the house.  This causes issues with game playing apparently and we have been advised to get a radio access point. Why do we need one and how is it different to a router.  Any recommendations for a cost effective one.

Thanks

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Wireless (radio) access points
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2015, 09:50:57 am »
I've got a set of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECBROCK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00 to solve a similar problem.
I don't know the difference between that and a router but it does the job

ian

« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2015, 09:55:52 am »
Reading between the lines you have two routers, so in short, two 'networks'? Many routers have an access point mode than can be turned on, rather than using it as a router. You could combine that with a pair of ethernet over the mains plugs like those suggested. That would give you a AP for your current network.

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2015, 10:35:11 am »
Reading between the lines you have two routers, so in short, two 'networks'? Many routers have an access point mode than can be turned on, rather than using it as a router.

Correct, two networks.  Maybe that's why the boy wanted to get inside the Netgear to configure it.

Thanks

ian

« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2015, 10:55:04 am »
That's the setup I have. An old Belkin router switched to AP mode dangled off a powerline adapter.

« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2015, 11:04:46 am »
'IF' the router in the loft has an AP mode we can still use the wired connection to it, can't we?

ian

« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2015, 11:15:28 am »
Yes, it doesn't matter, provided it's connected to the main router, either directly or via a powerline adaptor.

« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2015, 11:16:29 am »
They could just tell their computer to ignore one of the access points.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2015, 12:46:36 pm »
If this is about gaming, could this be a double-NAT[1] issue, rather than anything to do with wireless?

[1] NAT is evil.  Double NAT doubly so.

« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2015, 02:52:02 pm »
NAT was mentioned, yes.  Don't know what it is.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #10 on: 15 December, 2015, 03:15:36 pm »
NAT is what enables multiple devices on your network to talk to the Internet via your (presumed) single IP address.

The possible issue to which Kim refers is that both of your routers are trying to manage this, thus leading to intermittent confusion.

The second router must be able to act as a Wireless Access Point only - i.e. all routing functionality switched off.  If it can't do that, then the suggestion seems to be that you get one which can.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2015, 03:24:03 pm »
My goodness Thor, I understood that. Thank you.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2015, 04:33:40 pm »
That's it. For games you often have to set up port forwarding rules to get traffic through the NAT. Two NATs is going to be interesting. Some networky type person can probably figure it out, but for your set up it's perfectly fine (and a lot simpler) to use one router and an access point.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #13 on: 15 December, 2015, 06:28:11 pm »
If you're serious about gaming, you should be using an ethernet cable (obligatory xkcd)

But that still requires the router to be setup correctly anyway.

« Reply #14 on: 02 January, 2016, 03:35:54 pm »
Resurrecting this thread as I have just got around to looking at our router.  It is a Netgear Wireless-G WGR614v9.  I cannot see a WP mode listed.  Does it go under another name and/or does anyone know if this model supports WP?

Thanks