Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926662 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8625 on: 09 November, 2019, 09:06:00 pm »
The Aeronauts

Very pretty, and captured our attention as we looked for the bits of Greenwich used as set-dressing for the ground scenes. But other than that, ideal (once it comes to TV) for dropping off after the Xmas turkey. Our entire row fell asleep ...

« Reply #8626 on: 09 November, 2019, 09:32:25 pm »
Netflux's simplified rehash of Shakespeare's Henry V, The King. Entertaining enough but couldn't help feeling they just wanted to get the blah-blah out of the way and have oodles of blokes in armour bashing the shit out of each other.

This was really well made!. Enjoyed it. Speech not as good as Branaghs.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8627 on: 10 November, 2019, 09:02:27 am »
Netflux's simplified rehash of Shakespeare's Henry V, The King. Entertaining enough but couldn't help feeling they just wanted to get the blah-blah out of the way and have oodles of blokes in armour bashing the shit out of each other.

This was really well made!. Enjoyed it. Speech not as good as Branaghs.

A French review pointed out that Harry was actually itching to have a go at France, so Sean Harris didn't have to cook up a plot.  And the landscape at Azincourt was dead flat apart from a slight rise where the English were assembled.

---o0o---

Meanwhile, I haz watched the first episode of Green Eggs and Ham and thoroughly enjoyed it. Second childhood approacheth.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8628 on: 10 November, 2019, 04:18:20 pm »
The Godfather

We had the offspring over for a stay and she had never seen it. Surprisingly, she made it all the way through. I thoroughly enjoyed it, can’t remember the last time I watched it. They don’t make films like that any more, sadly. And Al Pacino looks so young! I may even watch Pt 2 sometime soon.

« Reply #8629 on: 10 November, 2019, 04:44:04 pm »
Noooooowwwwww! 30 years, that makes me feel old!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8630 on: 11 November, 2019, 09:08:48 pm »
Man Down

Not at all what I thought I was watching.
No spoilers from me.
A bloody good film.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8631 on: 11 November, 2019, 11:46:46 pm »
Noooooowwwwww! 30 years, that makes me feel old!

It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8632 on: 17 November, 2019, 04:01:49 pm »
Aniara (2018)

Considerably more epic than I expected of a low-budget Swedish science fiction film.  I was loosely aware of the poem that inspired it, but haven't come across the English translations.

Bonus points for female agency and general bleakness.  Anyone expecting a dramatic Hollywood fight between male leads in the final act will be bitterly disappointed.

« Reply #8633 on: 17 November, 2019, 07:24:27 pm »
The Aeronauts

Very pretty, and captured our attention as we looked for the bits of Greenwich used as set-dressing for the ground scenes. But other than that, ideal (once it comes to TV) for dropping off after the Xmas turkey. Our entire row fell asleep ...

We both enjoyed it.  We saw it the night after seeing the joker.   A very different experience but it was a very pleasant film

« Reply #8634 on: 18 November, 2019, 09:28:40 am »
Ford vs Ferrari.
I was expecting bad things of this, but being a huge fan of that era of motorsport, I had to see it...and it's actually pretty good, Trailer painted it as 'Americans vs Italians', but it is really a buddy movie called 'Shelby and Miles'.  It is, if anything, anti-Ford.

The racing scenes are so-so, but then, I think if you really want to get an idea of how grueling Le Mans is, you should probably watch the movie Le Mans :D.
Anyway..a solid 8 out of 10 for me.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8635 on: 18 November, 2019, 09:37:59 am »
Inexplicably retitled "Le Mans '66" on this side of the pond.  TV's Mark Commode gave it a pretty positive review this week but I expect I shall wait until it's out on spinny optical media before applying my +4 Bludgeon of Pedantry to this product.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8636 on: 18 November, 2019, 10:34:16 am »
Saw it yesterday - yes, it was good. Entertaining, (mostly) pretty feel-good, quite elegiac at points (at least if you can disregard the sub-philosophical 7000rpm man and machine bollocks).

Ultimately forgettable, of course, but still glad to have seen it on the big screen.

« Reply #8637 on: 18 November, 2019, 01:38:12 pm »
I also saw Ford vs Ferrari / Le Mans '66 and enjoyed it.
I thought the racing scenes were exciting although I suspect not very realistic... and I suspect you could be very pedantic all over it if you had the knowledge and inclination to do so.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8638 on: 18 November, 2019, 08:40:42 pm »
When I rule the world #241

... The Internetz will only contain reviews where folks just say whether they enjoyed stuff or not. Pedants will be torn apart by Ford Mustangs.

Sadly I don't. Yet. So carry on ....
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8639 on: 19 November, 2019, 09:11:14 am »
At least they didn't do Le Mans '55.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8640 on: 19 November, 2019, 10:03:20 am »
I also saw Ford vs Ferrari / Le Mans '66 and enjoyed it.
I thought the racing scenes were exciting although I suspect not very realistic... and I suspect you could be very pedantic all over it if you had the knowledge and inclination to do so.

A USAnian FB friend has already noted that having circuit X stand in for Daytona International Speedway was a bit obvious and leaving circuit X's C21 scoreboard in shot was Even Worse :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8641 on: 19 November, 2019, 02:05:50 pm »
I recall reading some BTL chat on the Guardian about "Rush" and someone made a comment along the lines of "The character made some comment about XYZ seconds and I thought 'I could go round that circuit in XYZ seconds' and then I remembered that they were supposed to be at some other circuit..." and I thought that that was a serious level of knowledge/pedantry!

« Reply #8642 on: 19 November, 2019, 08:09:02 pm »
Midway

Pretty good. 

Altho' they did fail to mention that if they had trusted the radar system set up with the help of British expertise they would have had about  37 minutes to get their aircraft off the tarmac instead of sitting there waiting to be destroyed.  But hey, it was a Sunday morning after a Saturday night..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8643 on: 24 November, 2019, 12:16:45 pm »
Yesterday.

I really enjoyed this, I've seen that its a bit Marmite, but I enjoyed the humour and the absurdity of the premise behind it.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8644 on: 24 November, 2019, 12:22:08 pm »
That one was so much less annoying than I thought it was going to be.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8645 on: 24 November, 2019, 03:03:11 pm »
Midway

Pretty good. 

Altho' they did fail to mention that if they had trusted the radar system set up with the help of British expertise they would have had about  37 minutes to get their aircraft off the tarmac instead of sitting there waiting to be destroyed.  But hey, it was a Sunday morning after a Saturday night..

Just like Pearl Harbour, who'da thought it? Kinda like Asterix in Britain: the Britons knocked off fighting for a cuppa every afternoon so the Romans, fine strategists that they were, made a point of only attacking at 4 pm on the dot.  Dashed unsporting, what?

fuzzy

« Reply #8646 on: 24 November, 2019, 11:05:45 pm »
Mule starring (and directed by) a very crumbly looking Clint "well, do ya feel lucky punk?" Eastwood, Bradley Cooper, Michael Pena, Andy Garcia and Lawrence Fishburn (Jr- he always will be to me). Apparently based on a true story.

A good watch.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8647 on: 26 November, 2019, 05:10:31 pm »
watched Bladerunner 2047 again, over several sittings whilst travelling.  Still lost interest halfway through, can't think how anyone coped with that in one sitting
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8648 on: 27 November, 2019, 10:44:36 am »
At 2h 44min it's more likely to be Bladder Runner in this household.

ian

« Reply #8649 on: 27 November, 2019, 11:25:52 am »
watched Bladerunner 2047 again, over several sittings whilst travelling.  Still lost interest halfway through, can't think how anyone coped with that in one sitting

You can recreate the experience by sitting in a Jakarta hotel room and staring out the window at smog for several hours waiting for something to happen.