Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625074 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3475 on: 10 June, 2013, 09:28:32 pm »
Virgin Trains: your Advance tickets are a bargain. It's a shame the train I booked two months ago no longer exists  now I want to book Disabled Assistance. No, I don't want to cancel the journey; I'm going to my nephew's wedding in Bolton. I'll get a cab from Manc. Picc...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3476 on: 12 June, 2013, 06:39:59 am »
Gaaaaaaaaaaaah! I could have had an extra hour in bed. Bloody time zones. Well, it could just be my fault for forgetting which time was specified.  :-[
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3477 on: 13 June, 2013, 12:13:39 pm »
Dear Employer, why does our intranet's search engine bring up results which include links to pages which no longer exist?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3478 on: 13 June, 2013, 05:02:55 pm »
Oh grunk. I went to print some docs at the library, that being the nearest, cheapest and most reliable place to do it. I'd just printed them out and was putting them into a folder when my phone went. That's ok, libraries don't seem to insist on silence anymore - a bit like those quiet carriages on trains - and coincidentally it was the person I was printing them for. But it was just sufficient distraction to make me overlook my memostickery gidget.  :( Still, I know where it is, there's nothing sensitive/dangerous/incriminating on there, and I've got to go back tomorrow morning anyway - hopefully I'll get it back again.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3479 on: 13 June, 2013, 08:55:09 pm »
Dear Employer, why does our intranet's search engine bring up results which include links to pages which no longer exist?

Our employer's search engine doesn't find things even if you type the TITLE of the damned page into it or major keywords.  Management decreed that we use something with "enterprise" in the name which claims to be better than Google if we'd just see the one true way... It doesn't fucking work - google fucking worked!  I have a degree in information management and did searching as part of my fucking degree - internal media are sick of my complaint emails and I am sick of attempting to use the horrid useless fucking thing.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3480 on: 14 June, 2013, 04:48:04 pm »
A little victory.  @MPSEnfield police now only tell you "close your windows when u are out" instead of all the time.  It's still not a real effort to provide real advice, though, because I think everyone already knows that people can get through (some) windows.  My grumble is that they think tweeting any old bland crap ticks the crime prevention box.  I'd rather have bad advice that was given a lot of thought than pretend advice.

To be fair, they do occasionally link to articles with more specific stuff that might be genuinely useful, eg http://www.met.police.uk/crimeprevention/mobile/doors.htm
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3481 on: 15 June, 2013, 11:08:37 am »
It's been 3 weeks since I got my last cold, and I've got another one now  >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3482 on: 15 June, 2013, 11:31:34 am »
Virgin Trains: your Advance tickets are a bargain. It's a shame the train I booked two months ago no longer exists  now I want to book Disabled Assistance. No, I don't want to cancel the journey; I'm going to my nephew's wedding in Bolton. I'll get a cab from Manc. Picc...

A similar thing happened to me a few years back.   I insisted that they honour the contract as they had sold me the ticket in advance and taken my money.   I got a free taxi for two and two loaded tourers from Carlisle to Annan. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3483 on: 15 June, 2013, 02:34:56 pm »

A similar thing happened to me a few years back.   I insisted that they honour the contract as they had sold me the ticket in advance and taken my money.   I got a free taxi for two and two loaded tourers from Carlisle to Annan.

I've been taxied home to Outer London from Bedford in the past. This time they are offering a taxi from Manc Pic to Manc Vic to get onward train therefrom. That's just too many changes for what's going to be a long day. One change at Piccadilly would have been fine but another change and another cab is just too much. There's a possibility I'll get a lift from a university friend who might be visiting her aged mother in Bolton that day.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3484 on: 18 June, 2013, 03:55:51 pm »
Computer accessory manufactures: please stop making e-SATA cables flat and stiff.  The "e" stands for external.  I want external cables to be round and flexible so they can go where I want nicely.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3485 on: 19 June, 2013, 12:56:36 pm »
The sun is shining, it's moved round to this side of the building, I'm sitting here feeling a bit stuffy with the window open and my colleague next to me has got the freaking radiator on full.  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3486 on: 19 June, 2013, 01:04:35 pm »
As the window is already open...

[dalekvoice] DEFENESTRATE [/dalekvoice]
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3487 on: 19 June, 2013, 03:47:34 pm »
Outlook.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3488 on: 19 June, 2013, 04:44:30 pm »
I'll see your Outlook and raise you a Sharepoint!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3489 on: 19 June, 2013, 06:22:05 pm »
Easy, I'll raise you Lotus Notes :P

My grumble - I have no idea what I've done to it but can my shoulder stop aching now as it's really getting annoying.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Vince

« Reply #3490 on: 19 June, 2013, 08:37:23 pm »

I fold.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3491 on: 19 June, 2013, 09:50:11 pm »
Horizon. Why not spend an hour or so explaining some scientific concept* when you could have done it in about five minutes. Or less.

*It's fracking tonight.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #3492 on: 19 June, 2013, 10:17:52 pm »

My grumble - I have no idea what I've done to it but can my shoulder stop aching now as it's really getting annoying.
I'll see your Outlook, Sharepoint and Lotus Notes (yes we use all three at work) and raise you a new corporate social networking system!!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3493 on: 20 June, 2013, 07:36:49 am »
Horizon. Why not spend an hour or so explaining some scientific concept* when you could have done it in about five minutes. Or less.

*It's fracking tonight.
That sort of thing makes my blood boil too.  MrsLurker tells me go to and listen to the wireless when I start going on about the sundry and apparently endless idiocies of documentary makers these days.

Other things that tick me off, join in if you know the words ...
-  Play acting with twits in costume in historical documentaries.
- "Establishing/journey shots" in documentaries*. 
- The narrator repeating everything that's gone before in the programme.   Channel 4 I am looking at you.

So, documentary makers. Repeat after me, "Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts."

*Horizon played a blinder very early on with  this sort of nonsense.  Some 15 or 20 years ago in a prog. about H. Pylori and the Aussie who showed it was largely responsible for gastric ulcers.   They showed a 747  landing with the caption "Sydney" (or wherever) and then cut to a talking head shot of the bloke in an office.  Who gives a fuck whether he was in an office in Sydney or Melbourne or Cairns or even sodding Cricklewood?  We want to hear what he's got to say not watch pictures of aeroplanes.   Yes.  It does still rankle.  Not obvious is it?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3494 on: 20 June, 2013, 07:43:22 am »
Oi, you, bloke who spent the night in police cells last night. Given that you spent an hour early this morning shouting "argh argh argh" as loudly as you could, if I get your case on jury duty at the Sheriff Court today, I will be finding you guilty no matter what.  >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3495 on: 20 June, 2013, 01:20:46 pm »
- The narrator repeating everything that's gone before in the programme.   Channel 4 I am looking at you.

Mitchell & Webb did a good sketch about this.

« Reply #3496 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:23:43 am »
Children. Please don't be upset about being in uniform on a non-school uniform day if you can't remember and dress yourselves in something other than uniform! I didn't get the email about it until yesterday and have only just read it. I wonder if there's a paper letter that we missed.

Vince

« Reply #3497 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:39:00 am »
Oy Wiggle!

Having a dutch website is a really good idea completely spoilt by the fact that you won't send half your stock items (tyres, muguards etc) to Holland.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3498 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:48:59 am »
Hayfever, bleaugh :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3499 on: 21 June, 2013, 11:31:49 am »
You know if your car has a rattle in the boot, and you take it to the garage, and they fix that rattle but you find (for example) your engine's now overheating and you wonder if the garage are a bunch of fucking cowboys and have deliberately done something to make you go back so they can have more of your money?

Does that work with Osteopaths? Back- bit better. Knee- fucking agony. Out of nowhere. What the veritable fuck.