Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625055 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3600 on: 09 July, 2013, 03:56:48 am »
^Seconded, strongly.^ Although I'd never heard of Henry Farman.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3601 on: 09 July, 2013, 12:50:12 pm »
Dear translators, I know you work under deadlines and other pressures, so here's one rule to make your job easier as well as mine: you don't have to always translate a noun with a noun, a verb with a verb, etc. In fact, you don't have to translate every word. And sometimes you have to add extra words. We want the target language to mean the same as the source and, as near as possible, have the same style, ok? We're not interested in preserving word count or even, necessarily, layout. You'll get paid anyway!

And, dear agency, you know some of your translators are more accurate and more reliable than others, because we tell you so when we grade them (and they know this too). So why do you pick the weakest ones or even untried newbies for the jobs with the tightest deadlines and the most demanding clients?

Oh well, I guess it keeps us busy (and amused!)

« Reply #3602 on: 09 July, 2013, 10:27:31 pm »
Never heard of Farman aircraft? Or wondered how a French aircraft manufacturer got an English name?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3603 on: 10 July, 2013, 08:48:31 pm »
Never heard of Farman aircraft? Or wondered how a French aircraft manufacturer got an English name?
Might have vaguely heard of them, but might just be thinking that because the name's familiar now. In any case I wouldn't have known they were French. Though I do know that Chevrolet and Cadillac aren't French!

« Reply #3604 on: 10 July, 2013, 09:24:10 pm »
Might have vaguely heard of them, but might just be thinking that because the name's familiar now. In any case I wouldn't have known they were French. Though I do know that Chevrolet and Cadillac aren't French!

Never heard of them. Wouldn't have known they were French. If I had known they were French, I wouldn't necessarily have thought the name was that English ...

« Reply #3605 on: 10 July, 2013, 09:28:10 pm »
Everyday at work, when we get in for lunch, the first thing I do is fill the kettle and put it on to make a pot of tea (and to cook my instant noodles). When it boils, I make the pot of tea first, then cover the noodles and microwave them, and by then, the tea is brewed, so I pour out 2 or 3 mugs, depending on who's working and distribute them before I sit down to eat.

Today, before I got my lunch, I needed to fetch some stuff down for the craft club before I got my lunch, and arrange it on the tables ready.

Did someone else make the pot of tea so there was a mug ready for me?

Did they buggery.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3606 on: 11 July, 2013, 09:03:17 am »
I must remember to switch off my Cateye when I stop. Apparently, it took me 8 hours and 20 minutes to get home from the pub last night :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

fuzzy

« Reply #3607 on: 11 July, 2013, 09:26:37 am »
I must remember to switch off my Cateye when I stop. Apparently, it took me 8 hours and 20 minutes to get home from the pub last night :facepalm:

Drink'll do that to you. It DID take 8.20 to get home, you just don't remember it.

;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3608 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:03:29 pm »
I keep having to pay to get my favourite sunglasses repaired because I keep breaking them, so I bought a proper padded case for them. Now I've lost the case.  >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3609 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:06:52 pm »
I keep having to pay to get my favourite sunglasses repaired because I keep breaking them, so I bought a proper padded case for them. Now I've lost the case.  >:(

Thank you for reminding me, I have 2 pairs to send off to Maui Jim.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3610 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:18:21 pm »

Well I've managed to lose my sunglasses and their distinctive green metal case.  Problem is, they're my prescription ones, and they cost £600!  They seem to have got lost somewhere between the sunny seat outsde the office, and home.  This includes possibilities of the office, the route to the car park, B&Q, and home itself.  Now if my wife would answer the phone message I've left her, I may find out if they are hiding at home.
Wombat

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3611 on: 12 July, 2013, 12:35:51 am »
Nationality is far from as simple as it was, say, 100 years ago.
I think you're overestimating its simplicity back then. What nationality was Marie Curie? Andrew Carnegie? Franz Kafka? Henry Farman?

I don't think nationality was particularly simple 100 years ago.
I an third generation British though neither of my parents was born in GB.
Dad was registered British at birth (in Antwerp) because his father was born in Hornsey to globe-trotting Dutch parents. My paternal great-grandparents had children born in Holland, Australia, New Zealand and Peru...

« Reply #3612 on: 12 July, 2013, 10:49:39 am »
Yeah.

In the 1930s my maternal grandmother (born 95 years ago) was barred from some jobs* because although born in the UK to a British (English & Welsh) mother, her father was Danish, thus giving her dual nationality should she choose to claim it.

*She discovered this when she applied to join the Metropolitan Police & was turned down because of it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3613 on: 12 July, 2013, 10:34:32 pm »
If I'm going to go and do some shopping it would be a good idea to take my wallet with me instead of leaving it on the windowsill :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3614 on: 13 July, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »
Yeah.

In the 1930s my maternal grandmother (born 95 years ago) was barred from some jobs* because although born in the UK to a British (English & Welsh) mother, her father was Danish, thus giving her dual nationality should she choose to claim it.

*She discovered this when she applied to join the Metropolitan Police & was turned down because of it.

I didn't think Danes did dual nationality. My mother remains Danish, despite having lived in the UK since 1956. Having been born stateless and acquiring Danish nationality as an adolescent, it's not something she wants to give up.

« Reply #3615 on: 14 July, 2013, 11:06:24 pm »
Really fboab, you're a bit old for this crap now aren't you?
It's summer, you're outside in a strappy top... did you really think you could get away without suncream? Really?

Ouch.

« Reply #3616 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:06:15 am »
Really fboab, you're a bit old for this crap now aren't you?
It's summer, you're outside in a strappy top... did you really think you could get away without suncream? Really?

Ouch.

Ha, yes. You should see my be-sandalled feet...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3617 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:37:46 am »
That reminds me - there were rain clouds in the sky yesterday late afternoon. Or was it evening? It's hard to say what's evening and what's afternoon and what's night when it's light till ten! Anyway, although it didn't rain, twas my fault - on Saturday I thought to myself, "I really ought to get some sandals for this weather."

essexian

« Reply #3618 on: 16 July, 2013, 07:34:41 am »
There are some things a wife should not do to her husband. These include standing naked in front of the telly demanding something or other when his favourite team is playing in the cup final, being good friends with his Mum, moving his "stuff" from the safe spot he put it and then forgetting where about she moved it to and, washing his pillow.

Yes, my wife washed my pillow behind my back..... look, my late Mum made that for me back in 1980: its been with me ever since through 12 house moves and countless miles. Hell, its even been on holiday with me! Okay, it is a bit smelly, has a few stains on it and was most likely to be 50% bedbugs but hey, I liked it that way!!!

Now, its clean and smells of fabric softener. I tried to use it last night but no, its not the same anymore. Sigh. didn't get any sleep worrying if it will ever been the same again.

Going off for a quick cry.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3619 on: 17 July, 2013, 01:31:36 pm »
Damn you, BBC Proms!  Why have you decided to do Wagner's Ring cycle over the course of a week, often starting at 5pm?!?  (OK, I can understand the early starts.)  Don't you know there's a FNRttC at the end of the week, which usually results in a late return on Saturday?

Now I'm left to contemplate:
* can I arrange to leave work early for the early shows
* on Friday can I manage a day in the, an evening at the Albert Hall, then a ride to Felpham?
* then can I get back in time on Saturday to recover enough for the final performance in the evening?

Alternatively, I could just go home and listen to it all on the radio.  ::-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3620 on: 17 July, 2013, 02:19:58 pm »
Or you could save your ears from hours of proto-fascistic caterwauling.

And ride your bike, natch.

HTH ;)
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3621 on: 17 July, 2013, 02:56:20 pm »

:o  Philistine!

And ride your bike, natch.

HTH ;)

Heading over to the Albert Hall extends my commute a fair bit, so it would involve riding my bike.  ;)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3622 on: 17 July, 2013, 02:58:00 pm »

:o  Philistine!

I wear that badge with pride, where a pompous hack like Wagner is concerned. ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #3623 on: 17 July, 2013, 03:04:13 pm »
There are some things a wife should not do to her husband. These include standing naked in front of the telly demanding something or other when his favourite team is playing in the cup final, being good friends with his Mum, moving his "stuff" from the safe spot he put it and then forgetting where about she moved it to and, washing his pillow.

Yes, my wife washed my pillow behind my back..... look, my late Mum made that for me back in 1980: its been with me ever since through 12 house moves and countless miles. Hell, its even been on holiday with me! Okay, it is a bit smelly, has a few stains on it and was most likely to be 50% bedbugs but hey, I liked it that way!!!
 your
Now, its clean and smells of fabric softener. I tried to use it last night but no, its not the same anymore. Sigh. didn't get any sleep worrying if it will ever been the same again.

Going off for a quick cry.

Are you sure it's your pillow and not your comfort blankie?  ;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3624 on: 17 July, 2013, 09:27:50 pm »
Why am I so knackered?

I'm assuming it's something to do with the v. high pollen count (or maybe temperature) but I've been severely lacking in energy for the last day and a half :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!