Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624797 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4550 on: 28 February, 2014, 07:59:05 pm »
Boo.  It's nearly the end of my "Most of February Off"
(I had to do it in order to bring my a/l balance down to the maximum allowable 10 days carry over.)
My leave year begins 1st March.  That will add another 32 days.   :facepalm:

Isn't the traditional solution to this problem the "Well, fuck Mondays then..." method?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4551 on: 28 February, 2014, 08:34:42 pm »
Boo.  It's nearly the end of my "Most of February Off"
(I had to do it in order to bring my a/l balance down to the maximum allowable 10 days carry over.)
My leave year begins 1st March.  That will add another 32 days.   :facepalm:

Isn't the traditional solution to this problem the "Well, fuck Mondays then..." method?

Yep.  I think you may be right.   :thumbsup:  Although sometimes it would have to be Friday, depending on the flavour.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

essexian

« Reply #4552 on: 01 March, 2014, 07:27:57 am »
Think I must have brought some dodgy electricity recently….Firstly my cooker hood blows up: smoke and flames everywhere (may not be quite true….) and then the washing machine we have had for 9 years stops working. Tried to fix it but it seems the bearings have gone so £300 for a new one! (and no, the wife won’t accept it as her birthday pressie…… ??? )

Then yesterday one of the outside light stops working for no reason: I replace it and the replacement doesn’t work….. no idea why. Finally, yesterday evening the hoover seizes and starts to burn. Another £100 or so for a replacement.

Not sure why but it’s a bit strange everything has gone wrong as the same time….glad I don’t have a pacemaker!!!

Bleeping expensive weekend so far!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4553 on: 01 March, 2014, 01:16:17 pm »
Have you checked your mains voltage recently?  Sometimes it does get a bit high and they need to send someone round to adjust the tappings.

Washing machine bearings will be unrelated, of course.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4554 on: 01 March, 2014, 03:05:30 pm »
Today, doing a little utility riding in Brum, I decided that I'd like some of that lovely black German bread like wot I bought in the Carmarthen Lidl earlier this week.  (Now this will amaze Kim.)  I remembered that the shop in Selly Oak is an Aldi.  So I headed for the one by the Warwickshire County Ground.

:facepalm: ffs

Yes, I know I could have carried on to Kings Heath, but my disappointment at finding that I still haven't ceased to confuse the two outlets meant I had to get grumpy with myself instead.

« Reply #4555 on: 01 March, 2014, 03:45:23 pm »
Basil, next time that happens, please also try to remember you're only a mile from the Lidl in Balsall Heath.

https://goo.gl/maps/1Lm0e

Lidl -> lido -> swimming pool -> Moseley Baths -> erm, Balsall Heath

HTH

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4556 on: 01 March, 2014, 03:57:56 pm »
Basil, next time that happens, please also try to remember you're only a mile from the Lidl in Balsall Heath.

https://goo.gl/maps/1Lm0e

Lidl -> lido -> swimming pool -> Moseley Baths -> erm, Balsall Heath

HTH

Thanks nikki, I didn't know about that one.  It would have been nearer from there, but I think Silver Street is my nearest one to Bournville.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4557 on: 01 March, 2014, 05:24:28 pm »
Today, doing a little utility riding in Brum, I decided that I'd like some of that lovely black German bread like wot I bought in the Carmarthen Lidl earlier this week.  (Now this will amaze Kim.)  I remembered that the shop in Selly Oak is an Aldi.  So I headed for the one by the Warwickshire County Ground.

*giggles*

« Reply #4558 on: 01 March, 2014, 05:37:59 pm »
Thanks nikki, I didn't know about that one.  It would have been nearer from there, but I think Silver Street is my nearest one to Bournville.

Yeahbut, let's face it, plotting the nearest Lidl to all your local Aldi stores will be more useful ;)

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4559 on: 01 March, 2014, 05:51:27 pm »
There you go, i've been to Silver Street.  I now has German Rye bread and a bottle of Malbec.
*is happy*
Blimey.  19 miles shopping.  Lbs-Aldi-Co-op-pub-Lidl.

« Reply #4560 on: 01 March, 2014, 05:56:51 pm »
Rather fortuitously, my local LIDL  & Aldi shops are about 300 yards apart, although there's a tricky roundabout in between.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4561 on: 01 March, 2014, 11:24:10 pm »
There's a place in Bristol known as the Fish, because it has a statue of a fish on end and it's in Fishponds. It's on the cycle track, which is handy, and next to it are Aldi, Lidl, Morrison's and (I think) Tesco. As well as a Wetherspoons and the Brizzle CTC hut club room. But one thing it doesn't have is a fishmonger's. No ponds nowadays either.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4562 on: 02 March, 2014, 10:54:08 am »
I've just read my water bill. Two things:
1) We are family of 4. More or less every day we run a bowl of washing up, a dishwasher, a washing machine, a couple of showers, cooking that involves boiling something, drink water, flush the toilet on most visits etc. Apparently we use a shade under the water of a typical 2 person house. Either the data is correct and these typical people swim around their houses, or the water co are trying to let people feel ok about using more water because that way they spend more.

2) We pay by direct debit. We're in credit with the water company by more than we were 6 months ago (still not a fortune). There's no evidence on the bill of a price rise. So why do they want to put the monthly rate up by £1.50?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4563 on: 02 March, 2014, 10:59:48 am »
2) We pay by direct debit. We're in credit with the water company by more than we were 6 months ago (still not a fortune). There's no evidence on the bill of a price rise. So why do they want to put the monthly rate up by £1.50?
Because, wait for it, wait for it.... there's a price rise in the pipeline.  IGMC.

Joking aside there probably will be prices rises as a result of (or merely excused by) the recent flooding and the cost of pumping and other works. After all we wouldn't want to reduce shareholder dividend and _somebody_ has to pay for it.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4564 on: 02 March, 2014, 12:01:49 pm »
My shoulder REALLY hurts. Either I am in agony and can't do much or I am sedated by the pain relief.
Drunken wedding dancing hurts.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4565 on: 02 March, 2014, 06:39:17 pm »
Gah, colleagues with small, snotty children should be banned. I'm on my fourth cold of the year.

fuzzy

« Reply #4566 on: 03 March, 2014, 08:32:19 am »
1) We are family of 4. More or less every day we run a bowl of washing up, a dishwasher, a washing machine, a couple of showers, cooking that involves boiling something, drink water, flush the toilet on most visits etc. Apparently we use a shade under the water of a typical 2 person house. Either the data is correct and these typical people swim around their houses, or the water co are trying to let people feel ok about using more water because that way they spend more.

I've just read my bill. Increased by 4.5% approx.

Which one of you Lundun Tahn residents wants to claim the bit of the infrastructure under your feet I have been paying for for years?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4567 on: 03 March, 2014, 08:32:46 am »
I wanted to ride to the pub on Friday evening but the back tyre was flat at the bottom.  Bleedin' fairies must have struck on the ride home in the pouring rain Friday afternoon. >:(

Oh well. It gave me something to do Saturday morning ::-)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #4568 on: 03 March, 2014, 10:33:40 am »
My back has gone again  :(. No riding for me for while  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4569 on: 03 March, 2014, 10:56:17 am »
Oh bother.  GWS.
Getting there...

« Reply #4570 on: 03 March, 2014, 10:59:02 am »
Thanks clarion  :) .

« Reply #4571 on: 03 March, 2014, 11:09:59 am »
Take it easy cycleman. 

« Reply #4572 on: 03 March, 2014, 08:47:07 pm »
Thanks PB  :) . Laid up as opposed to back for a change  ::-)

Ruth

« Reply #4573 on: 03 March, 2014, 08:48:02 pm »
 :( GWS Cycleman.

« Reply #4574 on: 03 March, 2014, 09:09:37 pm »
...  :) . Laid...  ::-)

Explains a lot ...   ;)