Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624822 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7100 on: 28 November, 2015, 09:35:50 am »
When we lived in Germany our flat was right above the boiler-room.  When the landlord came round to read the wee metering doodads on the radiators he gave us a very jaundiced look - and a DM 600 refund on our paid-in-advance services bill, nyah nyah nyah.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7101 on: 30 November, 2015, 11:11:20 am »
???  All the milk in The Sainsburys Up The Road is in one place, regardless of whether its fat levels, bottle size, organicity or brandedness. Mind you, we usually get the milk from The Little Shop Not So Far Up The Road, cos it's nicer (non-homogenised) and cheaper.

Probably right at the back of the shop, diagonally opposite the entrance?

This ensures that even the most direct route takes you past as much other product as possible.

That is precisely the point I was trying to make.

If you try to drop in to make a quick, simple purchase, it's miles away at the back of beyond.
No, the milk is in the first aisle, directly opposite the main entrance. Eggs are opposite the milk, cheese and butter are in the same aisle, as are jams and other spreads (including Marmite!). Fruit and veg are immediately to the right. Bread is in the next aisle over (to the left) and tea the next one after that.

Nevertheless, your point remains valid in general.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7102 on: 30 November, 2015, 03:02:23 pm »
???  All the milk in The Sainsburys Up The Road is in one place, regardless of whether its fat levels, bottle size, organicity or brandedness. Mind you, we usually get the milk from The Little Shop Not So Far Up The Road, cos it's nicer (non-homogenised) and cheaper.

Probably right at the back of the shop, diagonally opposite the entrance?

This ensures that even the most direct route takes you past as much other product as possible.

That is precisely the point I was trying to make.

If you try to drop in to make a quick, simple purchase, it's miles away at the back of beyond.
No, the milk is in the first aisle, directly opposite the main entrance. Eggs are opposite the milk, cheese and butter are in the same aisle, as are jams and other spreads (including Marmite!). Fruit and veg are immediately to the right. Bread is in the next aisle over (to the left) and tea the next one after that.

Nevertheless, your point remains valid in general.

This sounds like an exceptional emporium!

The ones I know seem to make the commonplace awkward.

« Reply #7103 on: 30 November, 2015, 03:17:48 pm »
It's long been common practice to put the essentials at the back, to increase temptation as shoppers pass the inessentials! Just like putting the sweets at the checkout.

I have a prepared list on the PC, which I print out copies of to mark off what we need for each trip, in shelf order. Still have a problem with Mrs O dashing back and forth for impulsive purchases!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7104 on: 30 November, 2015, 03:21:46 pm »
It's long been common practice to put the essentials at the back, to increase temptation as shoppers pass the inessentials! Just like putting the sweets at the checkout.

I have a prepared list on the PC, which I print out copies of to mark off what we need for each trip, in shelf order. Still have a problem with Mrs O dashing back and forth for impulsive purchases!

You're fortunate.  My shops seem to re-arrange the shelves once or twice a year.  Certain items (chilled/frozen, mainly) remain roughly in he same place, but other items get shuffled around. :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7105 on: 30 November, 2015, 03:49:31 pm »
Posted this here because I couldn't find the 'paid for something but it hasn't been delivered yet and I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for it' thread.

My fantastic wife bought me a new bike from PlanetX last Monday. Delivery time was 3-5 days.
The grumble, it's still not arrived, not even sent out for delivery yet :(

I'm blaming TORSLANDA. You jinxed it all in the courier thread :P
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7106 on: 30 November, 2015, 05:10:59 pm »
I remember a Turkish student (of English, in England) talking about national culture through supermarkets. He got quite excited by it. I'll try to reproduce his intermediate-student Turkish English:

I notice in British supermarkets the first thing you are seeing in the supermarket is lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, so I am thinking the fresh fruits and vegetables are very important to British people. In Turkey the first thing you are seeing in the supermarket is always the milky productions. Lots and lots of milky productions right next to the entrance door, because in Turkey the milky productions are very important to us.

:)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7107 on: 30 November, 2015, 11:25:55 pm »
Posted this here because I couldn't find the 'paid for something but it hasn't been delivered yet and I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for it' thread.

My fantastic wife bought me a new bike from PlanetX last Monday. Delivery time was 3-5 days.

Nothing whatsoever to do with me! (Now, need to hide the matt black Kaffenback in the cellar - just in case...)
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7108 on: 01 December, 2015, 08:12:09 am »

Nothing whatsoever to do with me! (Now, need to hide the matt black Kaffenback in the cellar - just in case...)

Phew!

Not too far off though!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #7109 on: 01 December, 2015, 08:24:54 am »

I can confirm this, as many years ago I used to design supermarkets for a living.  Us building designers didn't do the total "what products go on which shelves" layout, but we needed to know roughly where it was all going to get the refrigerated bits and the veg display units in the right places.  we then got a copy ofg the actual prduct layout back later, or if they wanted to shift things around a bit to suit the sales people's devious minds, we'd adjust locatinos of someof the stuff to suit. 

After a while I could do a shelving and refrigeration layout in a typical supermarket in an afternoon or less, including all the services stuff.  Obviously this was "old school" with Rotring pens on tracing paper.
Wombat

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7110 on: 01 December, 2015, 08:32:28 am »
^^^ Reminds me of my nephew. He's a marine architect but his main source of income these days is designing interiors for private yachts and cruise ships.  A while back he was griping that every time the interior decorators decide to put the grand piano there instead of there they have to redesign the deck reinforcement.

« Reply #7111 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:19:28 am »
Snaffled a protractor off my colleague's desk.  Took a few measurements.  Put said protractor back.  Performed a few calculations.  Needed to take another measurement.  Picked up his protractor again.  Noticed that it's in gradians.

(For the uninitiated, gradians are a unit of measuring angles, apparently used occasionally in Germany and Scandinavia.  There are 400 gradians in a full circle, so, for measurements of around 15-20 degrees, it's not immediately apparent that there is a small but significant difference between the gradian and degree measurements.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7112 on: 01 December, 2015, 11:57:25 am »
^^^ Reminds me of my nephew. He's a marine architect but his main source of income these days is designing interiors for private yachts and cruise ships.  A while back he was griping that every time the interior decorators decide to put the grand piano there instead of there they have to redesign the deck reinforcement.

People responsible for grand pianos do this sort of thing deliberately.

Yours, a recovering theatrical lighting designer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7113 on: 01 December, 2015, 12:14:58 pm »
Can partner's grand piano get fixed PDQ before I die of boredom hearing how long it's taking to fix and of partner's Piano Nightmares?
It will be 11 weeks tomorrow...
It's not my fault that *** are lackadaisical.
I am not responsible for the alcoholic technician they had to dismiss, either.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #7114 on: 01 December, 2015, 12:59:55 pm »
Its Christmas Jumper Day on Friday 18 December - how exciting is that?!? 😀

I have entered a team this year! we are THE JOLLY JUMPERS!!

All you need to do to join us is wear your Christmas jumper to work and donate £2.00 (or more if you are feeling generous!!)

The money we raise will help three amazing charities – Macmillan Cancer Support, Make-A-Wish® UK and Save the Children – give hope to families in difficulty at Christmas.

Have a look at the Text Santa Facebook for jumper ideas!!

I will collect the money - either visit me on the 3rd Floor or I can visit you in your office - please let me know that you're joining the Faculty Office in this event.

Please join in - its good fun!

I tell you what, I have a better idea, I'll donate money to a charity of my choice and you can fuck off.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7115 on: 01 December, 2015, 06:11:40 pm »
I think I'd come in all in black and yes donate money to a charity of my choice and SCOWL.

I REALLY hate cheesy Xmas jumpers.  People can do what they like but I STILL Hate The Sodding Jumpers.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #7116 on: 01 December, 2015, 06:16:59 pm »
I think I'd come in all in black and yes donate money to a charity of my choice and SCOWL.

I REALLY hate cheesy Xmas jumpers.  People can do what they like but I STILL Hate The Sodding Jumpers.

Wearing my Christmas jumper today. It's older than many of the people I'm meeting - bought it when I was 19 back when Christmas jumpers were real Christmas jumpers. And small furry creatures from alpha centuri were real small furry creatures from alpha centuri.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7117 on: 01 December, 2015, 06:39:13 pm »
As soon as the saccharine strains of shitly-performed carols start dribbling out of the horriblemarket loudsqueakers in an unparalleled plethora of idiocy the punters' IQs perform a similar trick through their ears.  Never ever queue behind anyone buying clothes at this time of year.  Or at any other time of year either.  It just unleashes a tsunami of Stupid.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7118 on: 01 December, 2015, 06:41:42 pm »
Its Christmas Jumper Day on Friday 18 December - how exciting is that?!? 😀

I have entered a team this year! we are THE JOLLY JUMPERS!!

All you need to do to join us is wear your Christmas jumper to work and donate £2.00 (or more if you are feeling generous!!)

The money we raise will help three amazing charities – Macmillan Cancer Support, Make-A-Wish® UK and Save the Children – give hope to families in difficulty at Christmas.

Have a look at the Text Santa Facebook for jumper ideas!!

I will collect the money - either visit me on the 3rd Floor or I can visit you in your office - please let me know that you're joining the Faculty Office in this event.

Please join in - its good fun!

I tell you what, I have a better idea, I'll donate money to a charity of my choice and you can fuck off.

Amen to that. I especially hate the thought that a chrimbo jumper would cost far more than the suggested donation and would be yet another piece of tat cluttering up our compact and bijou abode, so I'd rather give the money too.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7119 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:36:55 am »
Super U had a holiday special on the lurgi so the missus brought home enough for the whole family.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7120 on: 03 December, 2015, 02:18:16 pm »
Bad events yesterday evening. Someone has stolen the CTC biscuit tin!  :o

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7121 on: 03 December, 2015, 03:18:09 pm »
It's already dark outside
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7122 on: 04 December, 2015, 10:37:06 am »
I detected an annoying swelling on the inside of my mouth last night. Doubly annoying as it was adjacent to a particularly sharp tooth.

Naturally I worried it until it was no longer a swelling and became a small and extremely painful hole.

Drinking tea hurts, so does coffee. How am I going to get through the day?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7123 on: 04 December, 2015, 10:38:22 am »
Getting long in the tooth obv!  :demon:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7124 on: 04 December, 2015, 10:38:47 am »
I detected an annoying swelling on the inside of my mouth last night. Doubly annoying as it was adjacent to a particularly sharp tooth.

Naturally I worried it until it was no longer a swelling and became a small and extremely painful hole.

Drinking tea hurts, so does coffee. How am I going to get through the day?

DRUGS.

You could try Bonjela, it'll sting at first mind.
Milk please, no sugar.