Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624751 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9775 on: 04 March, 2018, 08:57:00 am »
After watching Météo France's web page all week and waiting for today's 9°C and sun to arrive:

a. we've got 2°C and fog;
b. I've got an abscessed tooth. No pain, but I don't want to pump all the gunge round my system.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9776 on: 04 March, 2018, 10:08:30 am »
Who the hell builds new flats with integrated appliances and doesn't include a tumble drier? How are people supposed to dry clothes?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9777 on: 04 March, 2018, 10:55:52 am »
After watching Météo France's web page all week and waiting for today's 9°C and sun to arrive:

a. we've got 2°C and fog;
b. I've got an abscessed tooth. No pain, but I don't want to pump all the gunge round my system.

Same here, expecting 6-8C, I went out on the old MTB with road tyres on it. Max 3C and some stretches of slushy snowdrift that had me walking.  Rerouted on the way back to avoid some other lanes that might have been similarly affected. Still, that's another 45km in the bank and back home for 9:30
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9778 on: 04 March, 2018, 01:12:28 pm »
I feel th is somewhat ironic that a source for daily email service called the Daily Conspiracy uses underhand methods to stop you from unsubscribing. I’ve successfully unsubscribed twice and yet I still recieve the daily email. Whomever it was that sold them my email address is obviously a worshipper of Stan.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9779 on: 04 March, 2018, 03:04:05 pm »
Who the hell builds new flats with integrated appliances and doesn't include a tumble drier? How are people supposed to dry clothes?

On a clothes airer or radiator, like normal people who don't have large families?

Anyway, it's not like people build homes for people to actually *live* in anyway.

« Reply #9780 on: 04 March, 2018, 03:50:53 pm »

On a clothes airer or radiator, like normal people who don't have large families?

Anyway, it's not like people build homes for people to actually *live* in anyway.
yebbut newbuild flats are usually hermetically sealed, so all the moisture just goes into wrecking the flat/causing mold to grow.
Some of these are 3-4 bedroom flats with sod all spare space in them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9781 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:20:00 pm »
1) (Bordering on FWP I know) I look forward to a good hot soak in the bath after my Sunday rides. Highlight of my week (I'm still working away in Italy, the bar is not high). Today the water was not hot, just about warm enough to sit in run only from the hot tap.  I still ache.

2) I'm in the Random Chinese to refill some very empy tanks. There's 3 free range childs running and screaming about the place.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #9782 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:22:06 pm »
2) I'm in the Random Chinese to refill some very empy tanks. There's 3 free range childs running and screaming about the place.

Have each one of them cooked a different way.  Variety is the spice of life!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9783 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:23:42 pm »
Surely Italy is the land of free-range bambinis and you're expected to pinch their chubby cheeks and make rapid spikey cooing noises?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

« Reply #9784 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:26:24 pm »
Sorry Cudzo, I prefer Andrij's answer  :thumbsup:

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #9785 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:56:10 pm »

yebbut newbuild flats are usually hermetically sealed, so all the moisture just goes into wrecking the flat/causing mold to grow.
Some of these are 3-4 bedroom flats with sod all spare space in them.
Indeed.  I read somewhere that in Germany many contracts oblige the tennants to air the house (by opening the windows) for 30 minutes daily on acount of such hermetic sealing.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9786 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:58:50 pm »
And I remember reading that in Sweden they had to revise building codes in order to provide a minimum level of ventilation, because new buildings were just too well sealed; it was regarded as a public health problem.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9787 on: 04 March, 2018, 08:40:57 pm »
I read something a couple of years ago questioning the wisdom of recommending modern insulating techniques on traditionally built Scottish buildings....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

SoreTween

« Reply #9788 on: 04 March, 2018, 09:13:29 pm »
And I remember reading that in Sweden they had to revise building codes in order to provide a minimum level of ventilation, because new buildings were just too well sealed; it was regarded as a public health problem.
This is why in the UK you can no longer buy double glazing without trickle vents that can be shut off.  Building a properly designed house with properly designed HVAC?  Tough shit, buy foreign windows or have the trickle vents screw your calculations.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9789 on: 05 March, 2018, 03:58:43 pm »
Having a boss who is as at least as tech competent as yourself AND is interested enough to be up to date as well is rubbish. 

In the past I would have been able to ask for an SSD with some spurious reason and it wold have been signed off, now I ask, and he not only asks why, but when I mumble in agreement with him about lack of disk space, took my laptop off me and checked!  >:(

He's probably still the best person I've worked for in a very long time, just don't tell him that I said so.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #9790 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:59:03 pm »
online shops.
I do not want to register with you
I certainly don't want to join your loyalty programme
Why can't I just buy one item and be forgotten about? 
Maybe I just won't bother and you have lost my custom.  Instead I will get out the sticky tape stick it over the bit with the missing membrane on my existing waterproof. 
sigh
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9791 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:31:18 am »
online shops.
I do not want to register with you
I certainly don't want to join your loyalty programme
Why can't I just buy one item and be forgotten about? 
Maybe I just won't bother and you have lost my custom.  Instead I will get out the sticky tape stick it over the bit with the missing membrane on my existing waterproof. 
sigh
disposable or junk email addresses are your friend :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9792 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:03:03 am »
Does anyone know if Virgin West Coast still do bike reservations? I'm trying to book travel to the start of my Dungeness to Durness ride but so far all the trains I've tried online (on two different days) have no bike spaces left???

DO they stop bikes for London Marathon weekend or something?

I've just booked a bike place on a train from London to Edinburgh. It wasn't possible to book the bike online, I had to book my train ticket first then call the number on the website and book the bike separately.

I confused matters by buying the ticket through Virgin Trains even though my journey will be on Virgin East Coast, which are two entirely separate companies apparently, but it was straightforward enough to sort it out. I received my bike reservation confirmation email while I was still on the phone.

It's a bit of a PITA that you can't book the bike place online though - forces you to take the chance on buying a ticket for a train that has no bike places left.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9793 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:08:04 am »
What do you have to give them - a reservation number for your ticket? I wonder if they'd let you book a space without one.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9794 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:09:11 am »
Some booking engines eg GWR will let you book the bike space at the same time as the ticket.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9795 on: 06 March, 2018, 04:09:22 pm »
I booked it at the station without any problems in the end. It just seems that Virgin are being awkward and not releasing bike space availability to the websites of other operators who are considerate enough to let you book them at the same time.

I don't want to book a ticket and hope there's a bike space. The ticket is useless to me without one so I want to know before I spend the money.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9796 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:44:21 pm »
Cooker oven element has failed. That is the third one in four years. Each time replaced with genuine spares (yes, hotpoint). Grrr. Easy fix but still a pain.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

SoreTween

« Reply #9797 on: 07 March, 2018, 07:28:21 pm »
The Tirreno-Adriatico started today 10 miles down the road from here with a TTT on the pan flat coast road I sometimes ride (slowly).  I was in work. 
Tomorrow the start is from the same location. I'll be in work.
My colleague is in the same hotel as the Movistar team.  I'm not.  Just him & the team.
I could ride down there and see if anything is going on.  It is raining.
By Sunday, my only day off, they will be 3.5 hours drive away.

Bah.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9798 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:39:53 pm »
two watch straps broken in under a week, can't be arsed finding another watch in my drawer with a combination of strap and/or battery/windable.

I'll sit at my desk blissfully ignorant of what time it is and eat when I'm hungry. ( I think there's a Carly Simon song in there somewhere)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9799 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:08:15 pm »
two watch straps broken in under a week, can't be arsed finding another watch in my drawer with a combination of strap and/or battery/windable.

I'll sit at my desk blissfully ignorant of what time it is and eat when I'm hungry. ( I think there's a Carly Simon song in there somewhere)

There's a display of the time on two analogue wall clocks, the cooker and clock radio from here so I only need to shift my gaze slightly. Then both my landline and mobile phones display the time if I press a button and there's the top of my computer display.

I can't stay unaware of the time for long.