Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625115 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14300 on: 06 March, 2022, 10:07:57 am »
I’ve had a couple of involvements with EventBright, and even as a former developer of not dissimilar systems, I don’t think I’ve come across a bigger pile of donkey do on line anywhere ever. It’s horrible.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14301 on: 06 March, 2022, 12:05:29 pm »
I’ve had a couple of involvements with EventBright, and even as a former developer of not dissimilar systems, I don’t think I’ve come across a bigger pile of donkey do on line anywhere ever. It’s horrible.

Agreed - the ONLY positives are that a) you can be online with ticket sales in 5 minutes, and b) it's relatively cheap as a service.     

That said as ratepayer I'm pleased that the LA didn't waste millions and take an age to develop their own booking system - as soon as the Covid thing allowed they had the tip booking system working - and it really is a lot better than the queues that used to be there (although the inconvenience of having to book has perhaps created a noticeable increase in fly-tipping out in the sticks  >:( )

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14302 on: 06 March, 2022, 01:44:28 pm »
You'll also be encouraged to post pictures of your refuse to Farcebok or Instagrunt.

Fortunately they have no such system at the tip in Guildford, coz I think I'm going to be spending quite a while there in the coming months.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14303 on: 06 March, 2022, 04:35:37 pm »
a steep grass verb
I grass
You roll
He slips
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14304 on: 06 March, 2022, 06:47:08 pm »
I am a law-abiding citizen
You are a covert human intelligence source
He is a fukn grass
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14305 on: 06 March, 2022, 08:28:13 pm »
I am a law-abiding citizen
You are a covert human intelligence source
He is a fukn grass
<Thread merge> who shops people to the rozzers.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14306 on: 07 March, 2022, 03:06:11 pm »
Putting cassette on motorized wheel for Ti Warhorse.  Har har: it's a solid through axle and my only cassette tool is for QR wheels. Decathlon & Intersport only offer the same ones, so BigRiver scores again (got a gift token to spend). <muttered imprecations>
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #14307 on: 07 March, 2022, 03:45:04 pm »
This post would be enhanced by pictures

I've only driven past it recently, I don't often wander that way and it's about ten minutes away. You can minimize the gradient slightly by driving at an odd angle, but given the gouges in the fresh tarmac, there's no great strategy.

I'm mostly astounded by the multilevel stupidity on behalf of the house owners, the council, and their contractors. They'd need a hovercar.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14308 on: 07 March, 2022, 08:13:01 pm »
Putting cassette on motorized wheel for Ti Warhorse.  Har har: it's a solid through axle and my only cassette tool is for QR wheels. Decathlon & Intersport only offer the same ones, so BigRiver scores again (got a gift token to spend). <muttered imprecations>

I'm trying to visualise why there would be a difference?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14309 on: 07 March, 2022, 08:28:00 pm »

The tool has a shaft which goes in where the QR skewer would usually fit so without the hole you can't push the tool into the splines.

« Reply #14310 on: 07 March, 2022, 10:45:39 pm »

I'm mostly astounded by the multilevel stupidity on behalf of the house owners, the council, and their contractors. They'd need a hovercar.

I was very disappointed in Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago when the Hoverbus from the station to the hovercraft terminal turned out to have wheels.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14311 on: 08 March, 2022, 10:27:57 am »

The tool has a shaft which goes in where the QR skewer would usually fit so without the hole you can't push the tool into the splines.

That's it.  The really annoying thing is that mine looks as if the shaft might just be removable, but it isn't.

« Reply #14312 on: 08 March, 2022, 11:05:23 am »

I was very disappointed in Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago when the Hoverbus from the station to the hovercraft terminal turned out to have wheels.
;D   I would love to see a hoverbus negotiate the streets of Southsea.
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14313 on: 08 March, 2022, 07:38:56 pm »
I didn't know that there were still hovercraft routes, I thought they'd all gone years ago, or is that just the cross-channel ones?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14314 on: 08 March, 2022, 08:06:08 pm »
Last time I looked the hovercraft was still running from Southsea to the IoW, but that was a few years ago. I'm sure spesh will be able to advise.

The cross-channel monster hover between Dover and Calais died a death once the tunnel was built, though it limped on to the mid 90s.

On our races between Ramsgate and Calais/Boulogne/Dunkirk/Gravelines in that decade the noise of the hovercraft was almost a constant companion.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14315 on: 08 March, 2022, 10:36:53 pm »
The Southsea/Ryde hovercraft claim to be the only one in the world now. I guess hydrofoils superseded them.

« Reply #14316 on: 08 March, 2022, 10:56:12 pm »
Last time I looked the hovercraft was still running from Southsea to the IoW, but that was a few years ago. I'm sure spesh will be able to advise.

The cross-channel monster hover between Dover and Calais died a death once the tunnel was built, though it limped on to the mid 90s.

On our races between Ramsgate and Calais/Boulogne/Dunkirk/Gravelines in that decade the noise of the hovercraft was almost a constant companion.

You rang? ;D

The hovercraft service still runs - if I'm in my back yard and the wind is the right direction, I can hear them when they arrive or depart.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #14317 on: 08 March, 2022, 11:05:08 pm »

You rang? ;D

The hovercraft service still runs - if I'm in my back yard and the wind is the right direction, I can hear them when they arrive or depart.

And if it's strong enough, then the hovercraft appears over your back fence...

« Reply #14318 on: 08 March, 2022, 11:12:04 pm »

You rang? ;D

And if it's strong enough, then the hovercraft appears over your back fence...

I'm roughly level with the international ferry port - if it got that windy, I might have more pressing matters on my mind...  :o
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #14319 on: 08 March, 2022, 11:45:19 pm »
Especially now that damn great Virgin behemoth is berthed across the way from you.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14320 on: 09 March, 2022, 07:38:09 am »
Late to bed, and the doorbell had us up at 06:15 this morning: MrsT had ordered a district nurse to come and take a blood sample and hadn't specified the time.  Was going to ride today, can barely crawl now. Think I need another cuppa.

« Reply #14321 on: 09 March, 2022, 08:16:05 am »
Top room lodger returned after a couple of months away but couldn't find where the keys were stashed. That was one unnecessary get up at midnightish.

He then double locked the front door, and left the keys in.

Cue Little Miss hatler returning at 02.40.

Harrumph.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14322 on: 09 March, 2022, 09:49:32 am »
We were down at Pegwell Bay last year, as part of our "do the whole south coast" project. We stopped to look at the viking ship as we passed it, then wandered down to the coast to walk the dog.
We had no idea what the really weird tarmac was for - there are remains of a big car park with markings, a footbridge, mini roundabouts etc. It took us ages to figure out it was actually an abandoned hoverport.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3281708,1.3707701,681m/data=!3m1!1e3

« Reply #14323 on: 09 March, 2022, 10:37:47 am »
Due to Amazon and Yodel stuffing up, I'm going to have to spend most of my Saturday taking buses to/from town, to get cat litter. I'll also be able to buy food, but could have done that by bike in much less time (and without waiting about).

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14324 on: 09 March, 2022, 01:48:30 pm »
When the company said the insulation survey guy would come between 1 and 3 I wasn't expecting it to take a whole 2 hours!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.