Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624937 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14475 on: 19 April, 2022, 05:08:51 pm »
I don't think it's more worthwhile paying staff to tend empty tables.

Even restaurants have bars, where they serve drinks, the mark-up on drinks is more generous than on food after all.

In my experience, it's poor organization and inflexibility, some pubs are fine, will cheerfully pour you a drink and find you a table, even if they're going to have to ask you 'to move in thirty minutes').

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14476 on: 19 April, 2022, 06:55:33 pm »
Since the pandemic, quite a few pubs near me no longer do food. They can't get the chefs or the waiting staff, and it's easier to make money by being a decent landlord and shifting pints (and 'artisan' gin) by the gallon. I think my local (next door, and still doing excellent food) is one of very few that charges less than £5 a pint. The markup in some of them is eye-watering.

« Reply #14477 on: 19 April, 2022, 07:18:06 pm »

Even restaurants have bars, where they serve drinks, the mark-up on drinks is more generous than on food after all.

I’m not sure, the reason most pubs are now restaurants serving drinks is that wet sales alone aren’t profitable enough.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #14478 on: 19 April, 2022, 07:30:40 pm »
Knowing a couple of people who ran a restaurant, the mark-up on a drink is much higher than food, but the trade-off is that the average meal bill is lot bigger than a bar tab, and 10% of £30 is a ultimately less than 5% of £300. Note the tense, they said it was basically impossible to balance the books given their increasingly vertiginous rent, every day had to be the best day, and every day that wasn't their best day ate into their residual finance resources. Leaving tables empty though is pointless, every drink sold brings something in.

I think it's often down to 'managed pubs' where the staff can pretty much only put people on available tables and when the 'computer says no' they're not empowered to say 'feel free to sit at the table until the guests turn up' at least until they've consulted with two layers of more senior management and got approval in triplicate. We were once told we couldn't sit in part of a completely empty pub because it 'wasn't her zone' (back during the grisly reign of table service only). Lest you think this was a football pitch-sized pub, it literally was about eight tables. She did explain that the computer wouldn't let her serve us on a table she wasn't allocated to (and that person had yet to turn up). While I feel her pain, basically refusing to serve customers in an empty pub, even if it doesn't lose much money, isn't going to do your reputation much good. We commonly go visit pubs we've encountered on our travels for a meal. Not that one though. Most pubs, fortunately, are fairly accomodating now you can walk up a bar and just order.

(In other news, I bought two pints at the weekend: the damage, £11.90 a pint. I expect no less from Hackney.)

TimC

« Reply #14479 on: 19 April, 2022, 08:05:11 pm »

I’m not sure, the reason most pubs are now restaurants serving drinks is that wet sales alone aren’t profitable enough.

Obviously that depends on how much you charge and what your overheads are. The boys next door own their pub, charge on average about £12 for a main course and £4 for a pint. They drive a number of Range Rovers and Porsches and are damn fine people. But they no longer have a mortgage, so for them the income vs expenses sum is definitely tilted towards income. On the other hand, a nearby ‘pub’ that reopened today charges an average of £40 a main and £9 a pint. And I think they’ll struggle because they’ve spent over £1m doing the place up.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14480 on: 19 April, 2022, 08:14:22 pm »
£40 for a main???
In a pub?  Not fine dining...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

TimC

« Reply #14481 on: 19 April, 2022, 08:48:10 pm »
Look it up. The Angel in Stoke-by-Nayland.

ian

« Reply #14482 on: 19 April, 2022, 08:57:25 pm »
I looked, blimey that's a bit pricy even by Surrey standards. I also read the first item as 'Newlyn Weevil.'

« Reply #14483 on: 19 April, 2022, 09:15:33 pm »
(In other news, I bought two pints at the weekend: the damage, £11.90 a pint. I expect no less from Hackney.)
Good god. Really ?  It's clearly some time since I've been in a pub.
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #14484 on: 19 April, 2022, 09:23:06 pm »
It was posh beer they'd shipped from a distant land (Lewes) and I misread the price (or rather that the price was for a half). It was very nice though so I'm not really complaining. (It's a lot cheaper in their taproom.)

Most places, decent (not Carling-class bilge) pints are £5-6ish.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14485 on: 19 April, 2022, 09:27:00 pm »

Alright, it *is* fine dining then.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #14486 on: 19 April, 2022, 09:29:25 pm »
We went out for a meal yesterday. We showed up a bit early (well after 1 mind you) to see if we could get a drink and a menu. The manager (I assume, he had a blazer with brass buttons unlike the other staff) commented that a lot of others had arrived early and he’d see what he could do. As he did this he gestured towards a half empty room, and then had to consult the computer.

« Reply #14487 on: 19 April, 2022, 09:38:32 pm »
Once upon a time people had Brains and could make decisions...... whilst watching someone try to add up a bill using a pencil and paper is something else and actually quite upsetting.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14488 on: 19 April, 2022, 09:56:47 pm »
whilst watching someone try to add up a bill using a pencil and paper is something else and actually quite upsetting.

We bought 2 ice-cream cones with 99-flakes in them today.
A couple of quid, I expect. Plus 30p for the flake.

The person serving us had to go away and spend a minute or two to find the calculator, to be able to enter the correct amount into the card terminal.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #14489 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:05:40 pm »
Then you get the groups who rock up at a bar claiming to only want the one quick drink so you let them have a table on the agreement that they will leave in half an hour because you have a booking.

Do they leave?

No they bloody don't and there is no way to get them to leave short of pitchforks and flaming torches.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14490 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:30:53 pm »
Then you get the groups who rock up at a bar claiming to only want the one quick drink so you let them have a table on the agreement that they will leave in half an hour because you have a booking.

Do they leave?

No they bloody don't and there is no way to get them to leave short of pitchforks and flaming torches.

I expect this is the main issue.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14491 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:36:25 pm »

Do they leave?

Then the pub should change its name from pub to restaurant.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14492 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:37:37 pm »

Do they leave?

Then the pub should change its name from pub to restaurant.

Agreed.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #14493 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:47:09 pm »
Why?

Where does the distinction between pub and restaurant come?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14494 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:53:29 pm »
Why?

Where does the distinction between pub and restaurant come?
A pub is a place where punters can wander in, buy a drink and wander out again. Food may, or may not be, available. Note that we only wanted a pint or two.
A restaurant* is a place where bookings are much more the norm and the selling of food is their main source of revenue.

*The Scottish restaurant is not a restaurant. It is a chain of burger bars.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #14495 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:56:14 pm »
The various pubs (with food) I have worked in would be defined as a pub Sunday evening to Friday lunchtime and a restaurant the rest of the time except bank holidays and December, when they would also be a restaurant, by your definition.

TimC

« Reply #14496 on: 20 April, 2022, 12:55:16 am »

Alright, it *is* fine dining then.

Well, I'm waiting for an experienced opinion on that! It's unlikely to be mine...

« Reply #14497 on: 20 April, 2022, 07:23:59 am »
 :o

Those prices!

I was in a decent local pub (definitely a pub, it doesn't serve food) in York, two weeks ago. Didn't pay even £5 for a pint.

Coupled with that, we wanted to reserve a room for my son's 30th. NP, no charge, they just put up some Reserved signs, we could decorate the room, put extra tables in it and bring our own food.

A proper local pub.  (The Fox, in holgate, York, in case you are curious. They even welcome cyclists).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14498 on: 20 April, 2022, 07:58:12 am »
All this makes my 4 pints* of craft ale (different selection from 4 or 5 options most weeks) at £11 delivered to my door a bargain (and it only went up from £10 last week) - we have a "street beer club" of about 8 members with our own "landlord" to co-ordinate ordering etc.

It all started when the enterprising local small-ish brewery at the start of the first lockdown was looking for a way to continue - local delivery was promoted by word of mouth and has continued now that we are back to more normal times.

* 10 litre box is £33 and 20 litre £63

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14499 on: 20 April, 2022, 09:20:39 am »
The last pint in a pub I bought was £4.20. That was earlier this year, though before energy-geddon.

Ed: I've just remembered it was a Wetherspoons. Right in the centre of Bristol mind.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.