Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624748 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16625 on: 17 September, 2023, 02:56:30 pm »
Is it really only on three months a year? People seem to be talking about it year round.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16626 on: 17 September, 2023, 03:03:13 pm »
Dr Beardy is now getting excited for the start of Back Off as well.  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16627 on: 17 September, 2023, 03:19:54 pm »
Might be nothing to do with Strictly - I have no real notion of these strange heathen rituals - but I just noticed that The Grumble Thread has now reached Page 666.

Put your invocation here ====>
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16628 on: 17 September, 2023, 03:49:32 pm »
 :demon:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16629 on: 17 September, 2023, 05:55:30 pm »
After a chilly cycle today I was planning on doing something useful afterwards (weeding, painting or some such) but instead I sat down and the coolth in here is such that I have entered a state of torpor.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16630 on: 17 September, 2023, 07:30:09 pm »
Dr Beardy is now getting excited for the start of Back Off as well.  :facepalm:
I’m quite excited by that too. Bake-off is connecting with our teenager TV.

« Reply #16631 on: 17 September, 2023, 08:03:11 pm »
My short Alt-Berg Hogg dual purpose (riding and walking) motorbike boots have decided to become water permeable  :( Riding home in torrential rain on the M4 from doing a BC race today, I thought maybe water had splashed up between my waterproof trousers and top of my boots as one foot was paddling. But no, tops of socks and bottom of trousers are dry, it must have been a membrane failure in the boot. And the other sock was damp too.
Only had them about 9 years and probably 100,000 miles (I alternate them with the high leg version that I tend to wear in colder weather). But they were nicely broken in and very comfy.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16632 on: 18 September, 2023, 04:59:36 pm »
Some genius wired the power socket over there ==> to the light switch over there <== so when I switched the lights off at bedtime it also switched off the voles feeding my laptop  >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16633 on: 18 September, 2023, 05:11:42 pm »
Some genius wired the power socket over there ==> to the light switch over there <== so when I switched the lights off at bedtime it also switched off the voles feeding my laptop  >:(

This seems quite popular amongst Leftpondians (lamps, for the control of).  Right-thinking BRITONS use 5A BS546 sockets for the purpose, which neatly avoids this sort of confusion.

Wrong-thinking BRITONS, particularly those farming PSOs as a cash-crop, sometimes employ it as a devious strategy to reduce the anbarism bill.  The bastards.

« Reply #16634 on: 18 September, 2023, 06:27:43 pm »
And that's like the hotel rooms where you need to put your key card into the slot inside in order to turn on power into the room - meaning you can't go out leaving something charging up. Unless you happen to have spare credit card sized pieces of plastic in your wallet (I always carry a key card from a previous hotel specifically for this).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16635 on: 18 September, 2023, 07:57:23 pm »
And that's like the hotel rooms where you need to put your key card into the slot inside in order to turn on power into the room - meaning you can't go out leaving something charging up. Unless you happen to have spare credit card sized pieces of plastic in your wallet (I always carry a key card from a previous hotel specifically for this).
The cardboard that the room key often comes in can also be used for this. Alternatively ask for 2 keys.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16636 on: 19 September, 2023, 04:49:58 pm »
Have another look in your toolbox and see if there's a pair of struts for 30" span Slingsby Prefect would you?  I put them somewhere "safe" late last year and now I can't find them.
Oh, of course. Under my BE2c.  I mean it's so obvious.  Why wouldn't I put them there rather than with the other gliders?  Pillock.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16637 on: 22 September, 2023, 01:51:36 pm »
Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir fire up kettle. Get Aeropress from its hidy hole. Ditto coffee. Grap filter paper holder. Oh noes. No filter papers. I knew I was getting low but there were some left. Look in cupboard for standby caffetiere. No sign. No coffee. Arse.

Message The Boy later. Ah, he says. Soz, there was a washing up incident yeterday resulting in the demise of the filters. He was going to tell me but forgot.  I shall send him to bed without any supper.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16638 on: 22 September, 2023, 02:37:04 pm »
This year's BloodyStudent resident of the room on the other side of ---> that wall appears to be a player of terrible (as befits a Young Person) music.  I keep hearing bursts of rap and vocoder noises.

« Reply #16639 on: 22 September, 2023, 03:02:42 pm »
This year's BloodyStudent resident of the room on the other side of ---> that wall appears to be a player of terrible (as befits a Young Person) music.  I keep hearing bursts of rap and vocoder noises.

Music liked by any young person is by definition terrible.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16640 on: 22 September, 2023, 05:31:57 pm »
I was doing something at work where we needed to make some noise to check a conference recording system was working. So the obvious thing was to use a phone to play music whilst we checked the other end. A young lad I was working with volunteered his. He wasn't impressed when I told him it was obviously badly broken as it was making such a hideous distorted noise.

« Reply #16641 on: 23 September, 2023, 11:29:19 am »
Bloody Jehovah's Witnesses !  While I was in the shower !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16642 on: 23 September, 2023, 12:06:33 pm »
Did you appear in all your glory?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16643 on: 23 September, 2023, 12:09:01 pm »
My indignation at being disturbed was conveyed via the intercom. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #16644 on: 27 September, 2023, 11:03:00 am »
Fucking hell! Well-despised thespian L. Fox has reached new depths of cretinism, if that's possible. In a discussion which was supposed to be about mental health -

"Show me a single self-respecting man that would like to climb into bed with that woman - ever, ever"
"That little woman"
"Who'd want to shag that?"

Referring to - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/ava-evans-268b9b151

Even GB News has decided to stop paying him.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16645 on: 27 September, 2023, 11:47:12 am »
Quote from: Simon Harris
BREAKING: A source at Ofcom has confirmed that after highly misogynist remarks were made over journalist Ava Santina, a strongly worded letter to GB News will confirm that if they breach the rules just eleven more times, a letter with slightly stronger wording will be sent.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16646 on: 27 September, 2023, 01:42:01 pm »
My 12-vole pump, motor-car tyres for the inflation of, appears to have ceased to extract voles from either of outlets in the motor-car unless the plug is wiggled in a limited and specific way.

Bah!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16647 on: 27 September, 2023, 02:40:59 pm »
To be honest I was not even surprised at what Lozza Fox said about any woman, that kind of language and attitude is normal for those Fashy Culture Warrior types.

I'm more surprised GBFashNews even bothered to pretend they were shocked and took Fox off air (for now). Maybe the whole #MeToo and awareness of misogyny starting with that kind of language is trickling into "socially unacceptable EVEN for blatant Fash".

Language that bad and worse is normal background noise for women and other marginalised groups.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16648 on: 27 September, 2023, 02:59:10 pm »
Quote from: Bledlow
"Who'd want to shag that?"
Just a guess, but perhaps that's his problem?  He's not getting any because every woman he meets looks at him and thinks exactly that, so he's gone all incel about it.  Whatever, he's an unpleasant little idiot.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #16649 on: 27 September, 2023, 05:42:23 pm »
To be honest I was not even surprised at what Lozza Fox said about any woman, that kind of language and attitude is normal for those Fashy Culture Warrior types.

I'm more surprised GBFashNews even bothered to pretend they were shocked and took Fox off air (for now). Maybe the whole #MeToo and awareness of misogyny starting with that kind of language is trickling into "socially unacceptable EVEN for blatant Fash".

Language that bad and worse is normal background noise for women and other marginalised groups.

Today a 15 year old schoolgirl was murdered in London because she rejected a male's sexual advances.