Author Topic: Damon Peacock  (Read 14089 times)

Re: Damon Peacock
« Reply #75 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:28:46 pm »
Here’s a link to Damon’s films. It’s of last years Mersey Roads which he filmed and rode on multiple occasions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9smFTWoNhks

« Reply #76 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:42:34 pm »
Such sad news.  Met him once on PBP 2019 when I recognised his voice from his videos and asked for help to find a railway station as I was bailing.  Condolences to Heather and their family.

« Reply #77 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:47:07 pm »
So, so sad  :'(

« Reply #78 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:50:16 pm »
I'll remember him on my ride over Yad Moss next week - one of his favourite filming vantage points. 

A day later and I'm still feeling a great sadness and sense of loss, so can only begin to imagine what it's like for those closest to him.

I said the same somewhere else. LEL 2017, flogging up from Alston,  and a hatchback goes past with the back door open. Damon's hanging out the back filming and we have a short chat about the merits of the Teesdale breed of sheep . Surreal just doesn't sum it up.

« Reply #79 on: 20 June, 2021, 11:04:06 pm »
Such sad news, I only met him a couple of times.  Thoughts with Heather & his other loved ones 😢

« Reply #80 on: 21 June, 2021, 12:11:04 am »
I've only just heard the sad news - devastating news - about Damon. Truly shocked and upset about it.

I first met Damon on LEL 2001 when I was at my lowest ebb being massively sleep-deprived and literally falling asleep on my feet. He managed to keep me riding to the next control simply by slowing to my pace and talking to me pretty much non stop. He was always a pleasure to meet over the years, latterly mostly when he was filming. It's hard to believe what's happened.

Saying "condolences" seems completely inadequate, I cannot imagine how Heather feels.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #81 on: 21 June, 2021, 01:42:02 am »
This is such terribly sad news. Simon and I both think a lot of Damon, and he will be sorely missed by both of us. Our thoughts are with Heather at this terrible time.
He was one of the key people that made an audax into an epic adventure and an event not just a long bike ride. It’s unthinkable that he won’t be there any more when some semblance of normality resumes. If only we had all known he had been suffering like that and could have let him know how much he meant to so many people  :'( :'( :'(

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #82 on: 21 June, 2021, 08:07:37 am »
Sad news

« Reply #83 on: 21 June, 2021, 08:27:47 am »
Awful news and a sad loss. Damon always brought a smile to my face. Always something interesting to say and always time to speak. I’ll cherish for ever our first meeting when he turned up for Ower the Edge without his shorts and rode 400k in chinos!
Thoughts are with Heather in such a sad time.

« Reply #84 on: 21 June, 2021, 10:41:28 am »
Is there a YouTube channel of his work?

https://vimeo.com/damonpeacock

https://www.youtube.com/user/damonpeacock

He was our friend. I can't comprehend that we'll never catch up in some French village, that he'll never ask if we want anything from Lidl, that I'll never learn any more new things from him. He always liked to look at a bigger picture, see things from a different context. He was really well read, a really interesting companion on walks and rides. On this forum he was nowhere near as much fun as in real life. Those of you who didn't know him have missed out.

« Reply #85 on: 21 June, 2021, 11:20:32 am »
Only knew him slightly. my wife knew him better in her audax days. A v.funny erudite man and a great enthusiast of cycling and gardening. Always enjoyed his films. Found I had a tear in my eye when I read the first post. my condolences to Heather.

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #86 on: 21 June, 2021, 12:04:22 pm »
OMG that is so sad.
Damon's films were inspiring to me when I was first getting into audaxing.
I finally met him on LEL and was able to thank him.
He seemed such a strong life force. How shocking, tragic and sad. Much love to all his friends and family

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #87 on: 21 June, 2021, 03:59:16 pm »
Condolences to Heather.

I'm one of the many who's ridden with/been filmed by Damon.  Good company.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #88 on: 21 June, 2021, 06:25:30 pm »
Gosh, only just read this. I never met Damon in real life, but enjoyed several interactions with him on here, and I’ve enjoyed many of his videos. Immense condolences to those he’s left behind. I hope they can find some peace.

« Reply #89 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:44:44 pm »
Really struggling to get my head round this very sad news,  knew Damon for 20 yeats , many happy memories of chatting with him, being filmed and interviewed by him and serving me food on long rides.
But the most enjoyable was our post PBP party in 2007 eating pizza and drinking beer in to the evening.

Rip my friend,  i will treasure the memories and enjoy your cycling films for years to come.

Postie.

« Reply #90 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:22:24 pm »
RIP big man.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #91 on: 22 June, 2021, 01:24:11 pm »
Sad news. I met him many times when he was filming or riding such a nice person.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #92 on: 22 June, 2021, 01:53:49 pm »
very very sad to hear this news.  A legend at capturing Audax on film.  RIP in Damon and my heartfelt condolences to Heather and their family.
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #93 on: 22 June, 2021, 02:59:40 pm »
RIP Damon .
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #94 on: 22 June, 2021, 03:08:13 pm »
Very sad news.  My condolences to those who knew and loved him.

« Reply #95 on: 22 June, 2021, 03:46:04 pm »
Damon was influential in my induction and enthusiasm for Audaxing through his videos and presence on rides. Either filming on his motorbike or him being a natural rouleur meant I would often meet him several times on a ride. Meeting him on PBP, LEL and Bryan Chapman all stand out in my memory. As fboab says, quite a different presence f2f compared to his sometimes mischievous contrarian persona on the forum. Whenever I notice a well laid hedge or dry stone wall, I think of him.

We've lost a few friends on this forum to depression. It reminds me that not to take anyone for granted and value the support we can offer one another.

« Reply #96 on: 22 June, 2021, 04:02:00 pm »
Just heared about Damons death in velomobilforum.de
I didnˋt know him much,
But I met him a few times at LEL and PBP.

A week ago i took a look at his YT-Channel an saw that he uploaded no video in the last months.
Very sad that he passed away,
i will miss him!

« Reply #97 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:23:36 pm »
I've just seen this. I never met him, but thoroughly enjoyed his videos, finding them both relaxing and inspiring in equal measure. Condolences to his family.

« Reply #98 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:44:55 pm »
Such sad news. His skill as a storyteller makes his videos entertaining from start to finish. A great loss. Condolences to his family.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #99 on: 22 June, 2021, 11:30:40 pm »
That's really sad news. I've met Damon a few times at the start and in the middle of long events and on ferries to the PBP. He always added to the events and provided good videos and interviews which showed what the events were like, happy, sunny, cold, wet.  Damon was quite motivational when turning up at a control in the middle of the night in Yorkshire weather. Someone I'll never forget.