Author Topic: Marmotte 2018  (Read 12486 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Marmotte 2018
« on: 21 October, 2017, 07:30:29 pm »
Anyone looking to ride it next year?

Entries open on 6th November 2017  http://marmottegranfondoseries.com/

We haven't ridden in the Alps since 2011 so it'll be a nice excuse to get back there.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: Marmotte 2018
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2017, 12:33:09 am »
So entry has opened, but it's bundle entries only until the 13th Nov. I can't figure out how tandem entry works these days and they still have the silly insistence on providing a medical certificate so loosing enthusiasm for jumping the hoops to get into it.

Marmotte 2018
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2017, 07:46:26 am »
Never seen a tandem on these kind of sportives myself and I’ve done a fair few. The medical form/certificate is weird as I’ve never shown it. Had one from doctors for £25.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2017, 06:41:57 am »
There were a couple tandems in 2011 when we last did it. Memorable day out...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 30 November, 2017, 02:49:47 pm »
So entry has opened, but it's bundle entries only until the 13th Nov. I can't figure out how tandem entry works these days and they still have the silly insistence on providing a medical certificate so loosing enthusiasm for jumping the hoops to get into it.

You can get round the medical certificate with a cheapo bronze racing license with British Cycling.

I don't think I can do it in 2018 but am very much considering the full week of events for either 2019 or 2020. Haven't completely ruled it out yet though.

« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2017, 05:24:11 pm »
Never seen a tandem on these kind of sportives myself and I’ve done a fair few. The medical form/certificate is weird as I’ve never shown it. Had one from doctors for £25.
I saw a tandem couple competing in the Etape du tour in 2000.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2017, 10:09:55 pm »

You can get round the medical certificate with a cheapo bronze racing license with British Cycling.

Yeah I did that last time, but when I checked Da Rulz a few weeks ago it was very clear that racing license would only be accepted in lieu of a medical certificate if said license was issued on basis of passing a medical examination.

Now I went to reference it, the rules is just a "coming soon" placeholder, which is pretty typically french when people entering the events today are require to click through agree that they've read and agree they read them
http://inscription.sportcommunication.info/pdf/reglement2.pdf

I don't think I can do it in 2018 but am very much considering the full week of events for either 2019 or 2020. Haven't completely ruled it out yet though.

Sounds good! Maybe by then I'll have figured out how to do a tandem entry again :)

« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2017, 02:43:49 pm »
The “ silly insistence “ is French law, and is needed for cycling and running “ endurance” events.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2017, 03:37:27 pm »
PBP dropped its longstanding requirement for entrants to provide medical certificates a couple of editions ago, mostly because they had nobody available to interpret far-eastern doctor's certificates.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2017, 03:57:56 pm »
PBP dropped its longstanding requirement for entrants to provide medical certificates a couple of editions ago, mostly because they had nobody available to interpret far-eastern doctor's certificates.

It’s also possible that the qualification criteria could be proof of fitness to realistically undertake the event perhaps?

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2018, 04:29:15 pm »
Thing1 & Thing2 are now registered!

For tandems, this is how to do it. (I emailed info@sportcommunication.com and got a quick reply)

Yes you can. You can register online like any individual rider. Then, you have to make an extra payment of 10 EUR by bank transfer to the IBAN below.
Once you're registration as individual rider is confirmed, send me an e-mail with your partner details. I will register your partner.

TOP CLUB FRANCE BRAVILL
IBAN N° FR76 1046 8025 1013 9205 0020 017 - BIC N° RALPFR2G
I hereby declare that I am in good health, I have provided a medical certificate of capacity
or a copy of my license. I undertake to make myself fair play. I read and accept the cycling
rules’ terms, and specially to wear the rigid safety helmet, to respect the traffic regulations,
to get a light and/or a high-visibility vest in the tunnels and the sustainable cycling commitment.
I accept risks regarding the cycling practice on a road opened to traffic and I commit
to control my speed at any times. Registration is personal and irrevocable. It can not be
exchanged, transferred or refunded.

Kind regards,
Pauline

The Cycling Classics Team 2017
https://www.facebook.com/GrandTrophee
www.cyclingclassics.fr

+ 33 (0) 820 086 332
TOP CLUB FRANCE
BP 24025
69615 VILLEURBANNE CEDEX
FRANCE

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2018, 02:35:00 am »
Still in training and can't get the leave (as well as being horribly unfit and overweight) so definitely won't be there with this year.

I'm definitely going to target 2020 for a long trip out there (at least four weeks) and do the full thing.

Have a fab time out there and I'll be thinking of you!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #12 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:33:34 am »
We've mentioned your name several times exploring roads around here. Thank you again for introducing us to this whole area and event 8 years ago!
I think our preparations are going to scrap us through, I'm about 5% slower than that first time here but I think Emma is faster this year.

We'd definitely do a moving on / credit card tour next time we come here. There's so many interesting climbs just one valley too far away and we can't be bothered to drive over to cycle. I mean, there so much great riding right on the doorstep of Bourg, but we'd like to cover more area next time. 4 weeks sounds about right :-)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2018, 09:05:41 pm »
Just to wrap up... we did it, far less drama than last time! Worst was a minor "wobble" when the front wheel lost grip on a "tar snake" while cornering in the lower parts of the Galibier descent. Thank goodness I was on drops and didn't loose too much steering angle and as soon as it caught again we completed the turn. Slight brown trowser moment.
I'll also make a record here: the final climb up the Alpe is the worst thing ever.  The three prior climbs I think we relatively enjoyed, but Alpe d'Huez was just agony. Dunno if the heat, the unrelenting gradient or just general fatigue. We've done much longer rides, much longer climbs, and that climb many times but goodness me never whimpered like on that climb.
Anyway we knocked >2H30 off previous time (no 2 hour mechanical stop makes a major difference!).

Looks like we were the only tandem again - "1st place" :)  - this year the brevet time has the neutralized Glandon descent removed. If they'd done that in 2011 our brevet would have been 2:24 better :-)
Official photos are posted but they didn't get the lighting very good this year.

Still love this ride, but for now think for now we've done it and will look to get our Alps fix in other ways.