Author Topic: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners  (Read 133956 times)

Re: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners
« Reply #625 on: 25 March, 2021, 12:58:55 pm »

Worth noting that in the same year, William Gibson's short story Johnny Mnemonic* was published, in which the titular character was being pursued by bad guys for the hundreds of megabytes stored in his head. Which, given how much can be stuffed into a USB stick these days, seems laughably quaint now.

* There's a film based on the story, you say? Nope, that's just a mass hallucination. ;) Joking apart, I can't help thinking that said cinematic turkey is one of the reasons why a film adaptation of Neuromancer has never made it out of development hell.

I think Kathryn Bigelow's "Strange Days" is a good "Gibsonesque" cyberpunk movie, though I've never seen the film they made of "New Rose Hotel" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rose_Hotel_(film)   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133122/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #626 on: 25 March, 2021, 01:17:40 pm »
In terms of SF classic to cinematic release, the best has got to be Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Other than that, it’s a path littered with more turkeys than successes.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #627 on: 25 March, 2021, 01:46:37 pm »
Ob. Cycling: I went to an exhibition of bikes at the Design Museum, back when it down on the Thames.

There was a framed letter on the wall. Instead of being to The Beatles, from Decca and mentioning guitars it was to a young Brompton Bike company, from Raleigh and was about no future for folding bicyles.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #628 on: 26 March, 2021, 07:51:05 am »
Ob. Cycling: I went to an exhibition of bikes at the Design Museum, back when it down on the Thames.

There was a framed letter on the wall. Instead of being to The Beatles, from Decca and mentioning guitars it was to a young Brompton Bike company, from Raleigh and was about no future for folding bicyles.

Back in the early 80s my ex was advertising manager for Bicycle magazine, based in Camden. She was looking for sponsorship for a number of events to promote the then unheard of mountain bikes. She approached Raleigh. 'They'll never catch on' came the reply.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #629 on: 26 March, 2021, 09:37:05 am »
It’s looking like clearing the canal is going to take a significant amount of time with shipping now being diverted around the Cape. Something else for the gubermint to blame Brexit import delays on.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #630 on: 26 March, 2021, 10:11:14 am »
Big Boat gets stuck. A childrens story.

https://defector.com/big-boat-stuck-a-story/
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #631 on: 26 March, 2021, 10:21:42 am »
Just dump a few tons of Picolax into the canal ,  that should clear any blockage......

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #632 on: 26 March, 2021, 11:19:27 am »

Back in the early 80s my ex was advertising manager for Bicycle magazine, based in Camden. She was looking for sponsorship for a number of events to promote the then unheard of mountain bikes. She approached Raleigh. 'They'll never catch on' came the reply.

Based on this information I can now determine the identity of Jurek's ex and will be publishing it here* unless in receipt of a plain brown envelope stuffed with used twenties by 23:59 on March 31st.

* Lie
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #633 on: 27 March, 2021, 02:55:46 pm »
Florida woman walks through door, gets lost in sewer for three weeks

If it wasn't for the sewer and if it had been anywhere other than Florida, it would be like Alice in Wonderland.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #634 on: 27 March, 2021, 07:27:36 pm »
Bonus points for not drowning or getting eaten by crocogators.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #635 on: 27 March, 2021, 11:23:10 pm »
Are they sure it wasn't a manatee?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #636 on: 27 March, 2021, 11:41:30 pm »
Oh, the huge manatee.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #637 on: 27 March, 2021, 11:53:01 pm »
Florida woman walks through door, gets lost in sewer for three weeks

If it wasn't for the sewer and if it had been anywhere other than Florida, it would be like Alice in Wonderland.

That officials are citing her safety and mental health as reasons for not naming her suggests there are some doubts that she was lost in the sewer for as long as she says, even if her boyfriend had reported her missing three weeks ago.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #638 on: 28 March, 2021, 12:00:39 am »
You'd have to be both spectacularly stupid and surprisingly well-prepared to stay lost in a storm drain for that long...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #639 on: 28 March, 2021, 12:44:05 am »
The woman later told officials she was swimming in a canal when she noticed a door and entered it. She said she eventually became lost and ended up three miles away from where she first began, surviving on a can of ginger ale she discovered unopened along the way.

You are in a tunnel
You are swimming
You see a door
Open door
S
You tumble down a sloping hole, water rushes beside you
You find a tin.
Open
You open the tin
Drink
You drink the ging bere
You are refreshed
Your head asplodes.
It is simpler than it looks.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #640 on: 28 March, 2021, 02:25:45 pm »
Odd individual with unusual wheeled vehicle travels remarkable distance.

Uses name 'Gordy'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-56438893
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #641 on: 28 March, 2021, 07:21:43 pm »
[…] says he "didn't realise how big Australia was".

Nothing like planning ahead.  And clearly he did nothing like planning ahead ;D

My e-chum Poit cycled round Australia.  It took him seven weeks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #642 on: 28 March, 2021, 08:35:49 pm »
Nothing crazy here but this sentence:
the role played by synthetic fabrics in late-stage Catholicism
was too good not to repeat!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #643 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:42:57 am »
"Late-stage Catholicism" sounds terminal.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #644 on: 29 March, 2021, 01:55:19 pm »

I think it's more what Tom Lehrer was referring to in his introduction to The Vatican Rag, as recorded on the That Was The Year That Was album. :D

Another big news story of the year concerned the ecumenical council in Rome, known as Vatican II. Among the things they did, in an attempt to make the church more... commercial, was to introduce the vernacular into portions of the Mass to replace Latin, and to widen somewhat the range of music permissible in the liturgy. But I feel that if they really want to sell the product in this secular age, what they ought to do is to redo some of the liturgical music in popular song forms. I have a modest example here; it's called The Vatican Rag!

http://graeme.50webs.com/lehrer/vatican.htm
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #645 on: 29 March, 2021, 02:59:02 pm »

I think it's more what Tom Lehrer was referring to in his introduction to The Vatican Rag, as recorded on the That Was The Year That Was album. :D

Another big news story of the year concerned the ecumenical council in Rome, known as Vatican II. Among the things they did, in an attempt to make the church more... commercial, was to introduce the vernacular into portions of the Mass to replace Latin, and to widen somewhat the range of music permissible in the liturgy. But I feel that if they really want to sell the product in this secular age, what they ought to do is to redo some of the liturgical music in popular song forms. I have a modest example here; it's called The Vatican Rag!

http://graeme.50webs.com/lehrer/vatican.htm

As an aside, one of my favourite pieces of liturgical music is Ramirez's Misa Criolla, which was one of the first post-Vatican II vernacular masses. Undeniably Argentinian (although inspired by post-WWII Germany) music.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #646 on: 01 April, 2021, 01:02:09 pm »

« Reply #647 on: 02 April, 2021, 07:08:51 am »
another "Florida man" entry, this time from the political party which purports to stand up for business's rights to do whatever they wish, and defy government intervention:

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210330/florida-governor-vaccine-passport-ban

« Reply #648 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:38:47 am »
https://twitter.com/snellyradio/status/1377664803850883074?s=20

If you've got a blocked canal, just call these chaps  :D

« Reply #649 on: 02 April, 2021, 02:14:35 pm »
Nike wins lawsuit over 'Satan Shoes' with human blood

Quote from: The BBC
Nike has won its lawsuit against Brooklyn art collective MSCHF over their controversial 'Satan Shoes' that contain a drop of real human blood in the soles.

The $1,018 (£740) trainers are modified Nike Air Max 97s that feature an inverted cross, a pentagram and the words "Luke 10:18".
MSCHF produced the shoes in collaboration with rapper Lil Nas X.

It said only 666 pairs were made and all but one have already been shipped.

Nike claimed trademark infringement, asking a federal court in New York to stop MSCHF from selling the shoes and prevent them from using its famous Swoosh.

"MSCHF and its unauthorised Satan Shoes are likely to cause confusion and dilution and create an erroneous association between MSCHF's products and Nike," the sports shoe giant said in the lawsuit.

Lawyers for MSCHF countered that the 666 pairs it created were "not typical sneakers, but rather individually-numbered works of art that were sold to collectors for $1,018 each".