Author Topic: First timer at a 24 - what do I need to do?  (Read 9861 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: First timer at a 24 - what do I need to do?
« Reply #25 on: 18 October, 2013, 12:16:29 pm »
I am seeing a reoccurring theme that this isn't something you can do just once.

There's also a common trend which is to do one once then never again.  Done properly, it does take over your season so it makes sense to have one really good crack at it and then leave it.  That's possibly an approach taken more by testers than audaxers though, as they already know how to push themselves hard - and end up in a world of pain by hour 24.

« Reply #26 on: 23 October, 2013, 11:52:34 am »
I've also pencilled in a '24' as my target for 2014 !

Having successfully ridden the National 400 well within the time limit this year, I'd like to think I could ride a 24.

Rode a 50 at the end of this season & will have a crack at a 100 in early 2014, felt pretty good comfort wise on my TT bike after the 50, but may well choose my road bike for the longer events !

I'm not planning on beating any records :)

« Reply #27 on: 27 October, 2013, 07:46:28 pm »
Just read through the thread and I think you already have the main bits of advice from others.  However, I'll repeat a couple of what I think are the most important bits for emphasis.

Get your position sorted out now and do all the long rides that you can in it (as I was doing when you saw me using my TT bike in the Anfractuous the other week - I'll be using that bike for everything that isn't too hilly).  As you get used to riding on your aerobars (they are a must) you will be able to drop the height down and bring them closer together - both of which will improve your aerodynamics, which is free speed / distance. 

You may need to change some things, such as your saddle, to work with a more aero position - get all that sorted out as soon as possible.

Definitely do a 100.   

It's worth doing some other TTs too, to get more practice and to work on your speed.  eg Come along to Hillingdon on a Wednesday evening and do ours (10.3 miles on a circuit). 

Make sure you have sorted out nutrition beforehand - what you can eat and that it fuels you enough - and test it out on long rides before.   In fact, test everything on rides beforehand!

If you want to read something, then Simon Doughty's book on Long Distance Cycling is good.  He suggests a training schedule for the 24.

Good luck!

« Reply #28 on: 03 November, 2013, 12:14:51 am »

I've done 3 x 24's. My first is still my best (354) but my worst is only 27 miles less.
Unlike most people, the 24hr was my first proper TT. I have since been working my way down to culminate in a 50 miler earlier this year. I found the 50 and 100 far harder than the 12 or 24 and overall preferred the 12 (207 miles at first attempt).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 15 January, 2014, 07:34:34 am »
<bump>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 15 January, 2014, 10:47:46 am »
Thanks Matt, hadn't seen this thread.

« Reply #31 on: 18 January, 2014, 10:05:49 pm »
The trick to distance racing is the ability to disengage brain.  Whether this is trainable is up for debate

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 19 January, 2014, 08:04:29 am »
I think at 12hours and longer the mental side is very similar to Audaxing. Personally I need something to look at or think about other than my computer/HRM. Audaxes provide scenery; some more than others, but it's a guaranteed feature (unless you plot a DIY up-and-down the A303).

My only 12h - on the fast A11 - was stopped at about 8hours due to an RTA. I was already more bored than after completing any of my 24s (on the Mersey course). The amount of grey DC sections on the Sussex course suggested to me that I'd hate it.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #33 on: 19 January, 2014, 08:12:52 am »
On the subject of boredom (and I'd rather not discuss the rights and wrongs of this here) - am I right that there are roolz in TT that no headphones can be used? 

I know that Hippy used some kind of music reproduction device mounted on his bike (so I assume that is fine).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #34 on: 19 January, 2014, 08:18:49 am »
AFAIK, no headphones are allowed. I don't think that rule has changed.
Otherwise I'd use them a lot!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #35 on: 19 January, 2014, 01:14:07 pm »
Nope, no headphones.

Matt, was that the Breckland course?  Everyone says that one's the most boring, don't they?  The other courses I know about (i.e. the Yorkshire one which I've ridden and the Cheshire ones where I've ridden the roads) are a bit more scenic. 

I was never actually bored on the Mersey: I was far too busy thinking about pacing myself, thinking tactics or else homing in on other riders.  Toward the end I was too stupid to be bored anyway.

« Reply #36 on: 19 January, 2014, 04:53:23 pm »
Headphones aren't allowed, but some people have been known to listen to music from a phone via the speaker and I don't think the rules cover that. 

Personally I wouldn't do it as it would distract me from getting into the 'zone' where you want to be for large parts of these events.

rob

« Reply #37 on: 19 January, 2014, 09:00:47 pm »
I rode 2 laps of the main circuit and 2 laps of the finishing circuit of the ESCA 24hr today.   Not one bit of DC on there.   It's very scenic in places and there's one bastard hill each time round the main circuit.   The night circuit had some DC but that means it should be lit.

I've only done one 12 - the KCA.   A good mixture of main roads and lanes.   Very, very flat though.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #38 on: 20 January, 2014, 08:48:01 am »
Matt, was that the Breckland course?  Everyone says that one's the most boring, don't they?  The other courses I know about (i.e. the Yorkshire one which I've ridden and the Cheshire ones where I've ridden the roads) are a bit more scenic. 
Yes indeed. Just grey noisy concrete and pan-flat scrubland either side.

I've since learned my mistake and found out about the more interesting courses  :facepalm:

(@rob: are you on the ESCA marketing team?!?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

rob

« Reply #39 on: 20 January, 2014, 08:58:23 am »
(@rob: are you on the ESCA marketing team?!?)

It was just coincidental that I was down there yesterday morning on what turned out to be a beautiful day.    I was crewing in 2011 and wouldn't have fancied riding that finishing circuit on the Sunday when the traffic really picked up.   I also ended up driving miles from the night to the morning and then finishing circuits.

They seem to have responded to criticism and made a much tighter course, albeit pretty lumpy.    I would say that support crews only have to move a few miles to be able to see the riders come through on all laps.

I should be riding but I now have a sudden change of job which may adjust my goals for the year.

Rob

« Reply #40 on: 20 January, 2014, 09:02:37 am »
I'm not sure I could ever ride for 24 hours non stop without headphones. I'd have to talk to the pilot, or something.

Also, without the Underworld Effect, how would we manage to go at any speed?

Presumably the rule is because they reckon it reduces your concentration?

« Reply #41 on: 20 January, 2014, 09:54:49 am »
I'm not sure I could ever ride for 24 hours non stop without headphones. I'd have to talk to the pilot, or something.

Whereas I couldn't ride for even half an hour with headphones. It would drive me mad (I never use the car radio, either).

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #42 on: 20 January, 2014, 08:11:30 pm »
I tend to ride with one earphone in, and the music set on MONO.

That way it only drives me half mad !!!!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #43 on: 21 January, 2014, 12:05:23 am »

Whereas I couldn't ride for even half an hour with headphones. It would drive me mad (I never use the car radio, either).

following vehicles aren't allowed anyway Ian

« Reply #44 on: 21 January, 2014, 09:18:31 am »

following vehicles aren't allowed anyway Ian
Not even silent ones?

« Reply #45 on: 24 January, 2014, 01:55:48 pm »
Quick question ?

Does anyone know the most convienent railway station for the Mersey Roads 24hr TT ?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: 24 January, 2014, 02:08:55 pm »
I think I used Wrexham last time. Quite a long ride after the race! Chester was similar.

But it depends on where you want to get to, as connections are a bit ... mad, if heading for the south-east. If you're in Wales or the NW - say - life may be more straightforward. Crewe isn't too far, which I think has fast trains to some places. (EDIT:) but is a few miles further.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #47 on: 24 January, 2014, 02:17:59 pm »
Crewe is a major junction. If you wanted connections, it would be an obvious place to head for?

« Reply #48 on: 24 January, 2014, 02:34:02 pm »
Quick question ?

Does anyone know the most convienent railway station for the Mersey Roads 24hr TT ?

Where is the HQ for the Mersey roads ?

« Reply #49 on: 24 January, 2014, 03:31:15 pm »
Quick question ?

Where is the HQ for the Mersey roads ?
Google map