Author Topic: The Times' Save Our Cyclists campaign.  (Read 2580 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
The Times' Save Our Cyclists campaign.
« on: 02 February, 2012, 02:29:16 pm »
I know many here will have little to do with a Murdoch newspaper, but I'm a little surprised that there's been no comment on the fact that the Times devoted its entire front page to a campaign for cyclists' safety, inspired by the still-comatose Mary Bowers, a staff reporter of theirs who was knocked down in November.

The two-page inside brief seems pretty good, with some fairly sensible demands in their 'Covenant for Cycling'. For a mainstream paper to go to these lengths on behalf of cyclists seems, to say the least, unusual, and very welcome - but none of the hardened campaigners or commuters here seem to have welcomed it. May I ask why?

Re: The Times' Save Our Cyclists campaign.
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2012, 02:31:58 pm »
Do you have a Guardian link to it, please?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2012, 02:33:07 pm »
This seems to be 'free-to-air':

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3306502.ece

(it does come across as a bit London-centric - but then these people live/work/ride in London, so it's understandable ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2012, 02:36:25 pm »
I'm surprised by how people's views on newspapers will enable them to overlook a brand new two page thread on the subject:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=56300.0

EDIT: X-post with MV
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:04:45 pm »
Oh bum, sorry! I hadn't seen that. I did look, honest!

AndyK

« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:15:34 am »
The Independent started a Save Our Cyclists campaign last year. Here's their latest article on the issue of cycling fatalities:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-ghost-bike-revolt-families-demand-action-on-cyclist-deaths-6348784.html

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2012, 11:04:07 am »
The Times and Sustrans are holding a hustings meeting with the five main London mayoral candidates this afternoon. I'll be tweeting from it  @rob_mcivor and using the hashtag #cyclesafe if anyone is interested.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2012, 11:08:00 am »
I'll be at hustings. Won't tweet but partner VoleOSpeed might.
Bet Boris somehow fails to show.

AndyK

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2012, 12:45:50 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2012, 06:58:07 pm »
I'll be at hustings. Won't tweet but partner VoleOSpeed might.
Bet Boris somehow fails to show.

Boris did show.
And flunked.

« Reply #11 on: 21 November, 2012, 08:49:41 am »
In response to the latest fatalities in Aberdeen, and the Dagengam accident (mentioned in another thread), the Times has published an article under their "Cities Fit for Cyclists" heading, since we've now gone over last years toll for cycling fatalities, even though we've still got over a month to go before the end of the year. :(

Cyclist deaths top last year’s toll as man becomes 109th fatality
Actually, it is rocket science.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #12 on: 21 November, 2012, 01:01:31 pm »
And this makes me absolutely livid

In the cases of 22-year-old Alex Fryer and 27-year-old Paul Lake, the cyclists were found with serious injuries by the roadside, leaving police to investigate whether they may have been hit by motorists and left to die. Four other cases have already been confirmed as hit-and-runs.

Drivers if caught should be prosecuted for manslaughter.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #13 on: 23 November, 2012, 12:32:16 am »
If they shot somebody and ran away, then got caught by the poice, they would have their Firearms licence removed. If a driver hits a cyclist, pedestrian or other Vulnerable road user then perhaps their Driving licence should be removed?
Oh, sorry I forgot Jemimah needs driving to the school gates and they have to shop for their neighbours elderly sister in laws great Aunt who has trouble walking from the car park herself!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!