Author Topic: RR: Gower Getter 2007  (Read 1749 times)

Maladict

RR: Gower Getter 2007
« on: 12 April, 2008, 07:56:49 pm »
I started badly, by turning up a little late for the start and delaying Dave Lewis a bit while I got my card off him.  Got back outside into the cold and then found it wasn't only people that suffer with it, as the GPS refused to cooperate.  Eventually got it working and set off at 7.20.  GPS switched off about 0.5 mile later so I refitted the batteries which seemed to improve matters.

The route out to Nash Point was very nice, lots of little lanes, very little traffic seen.  I saw a few other cyclists returning from there as I did the last section, and caught up with the organiser and one other who was just leaving.  Got my free coffee and cake, which was most welcome.  Lovely, clear, blue skies.

By the time I'd finished that, was last again but I had time in hand now so was happier about the schedule.  Caught Mr Lewis up again as he was having chainring troubles.  Cycled with him for a while through more lanes on the early part of the section to Swansea, but stopped due to now overheating and removed jacket.  I was on my own again all the way to Swansea.  Chose to brave the road the entire way rather than use the cycle path.  Couple of sections weren't brilliant but mostly it was ok.

Arrived at Swansea Marina to find a few more cyclists, chatted with controller and Dave again, and a few of the other riders.  There were a lot of cyclists around generally who weren't part of the ride, so it was quite sociable despite most of the ride having left.  Had the "Mini" breakfast - I'd hate to know what a large is - and pushed on, again last.  Before I got away I was told how dangerous the Gower peninsual roads are by one of the locals, but I thought it was fine for the most part.  By the time I arrived at the high point of this section I had removed my winter gloves and was riding bare handed and had my top and base layer unzipped, and was running out of water.  Reeled in Dave and controller from Swansea who had joined us for the ride.

The spot at Worms Head was lovely, beautiful weather and not at all cold.  Stayed a bit less time here, just ate energy bar with my orange and lemonade.  Rode for a while with one of the Bristol guys.  Once we got across to the other side of the peninsula it got really flat along the coast - just like East Anglia - and what wind there was was behind us so good progress was made.  Got to Clydach about 4, and the control was shut so a receipt was obtained from the Spar and water bottles filled with Sprite, and rack bag with chocolate, to be consumed en route.

It was now soon to be sunset and by the time was underway at 4.30 it seemed worth having lights.  The darkness meant I felt I'd use the cycle path.  There was a large boy racer element out though on the DC sections without cycle path I wasn't too bothered by them; the only real problems were in the smaller places once we left the A48, with people coming up and down the hills excessively fast.  It was also now like riding in a war zone.  :)

Once got out into the wilds again, it got properly hilly with narrow lanes filled with Skog (all trademarks acknowledged) but the Solidlights did an admirable job of picking it out.  Final descent was fun, almost 30mph which was fine with the 10W mode but when I had to dim for oncoming traffic, could see /nothing/.  Arrived some time after 8pm so almost 13h all in, 4th last.  My slowest, longest, and hilliest "200" yet!

Don't have speeds to hand right now, but distance wise, it was a 216.  Other stats of note:

Badgers: 0
Foxes: 1
Squirrels: 1
Dayglo pink king size mattresses: 1
Fridges: 1
Punctures: 0