Author Topic: RR: Anfractuous 2007  (Read 1642 times)

Maladict

RR: Anfractuous 2007
« on: 10 April, 2008, 01:04:36 am »
Right, that RR...

I got to bed about 1.30am (fettling, you see) and then the alarm thus failed to wake me properly at 05.00 so it wasn't til 5.25 that I finally woke up and realised I had to get up pronto.  Chris was due at 05.45!  So I rushed through a quick wash, got dressed in the kit I'd carefully laid out the night before, and was just about ready when I got an sms "knock knock!".

So out and loading things up, quick banana - not even time for coffee! - and off we went, down the crappiest anti-cycling high street in the area, and got to the car park about on time (7.15).  So we had no rush and plenty time to chat.  Said hello to Rich, John Spooner and Juliet at the start, saw Alex and MattC hanging about as well.  Then we were off and we set about trying to cling on to the back of the front group (except for the likes of Judith Swallow, who was already off ahead).

I was not paying any attention so missed the first info (only 9km in!).  Failed to drop several people due to bad light timing for our group; we were doing a good 27kph average.  Phil Dyson had to pull up at the side - his front mech was stuck on the biggest ring, which wasn't good.  Then we hit some horrible lane and my rear light fell apart, some kind soul did retrieve it for me, fully intact (just needed snapping back together).  This delay lost the group, but they were still in sight, so I set about chasing down at about 40kph.  I caught em just as they started a steep drop and the guy in front was being careful so I got dropped again and had to do another 40kph chase.  The last thing I needed was a hill at this point, fortunately the audax gods were smiling so I didn't immediately get dropped again before I had time to recover.  Phil and the bloke who helped me with the light also got back on so we were all back together.

Then a climb arrived and despite time for recovery I did get dropped by the group, though I wasn't the first to break.  I got caught by Chris on the other side and we rode together, but then I got ahead on the climb to Christmas Common, on account of my "attacking" style.  I pointed out the only person I'd break would be me.  How prophetic - my legs were already hurting.

We arrived at the Waterfront Cafe together, because he caught me on the descent again.  I ordered some insubstantial food, but because it had to be toasted, it took ages.  Chris left ahead of me, whilst I did my smutchin impression.  Was joined by Matt and Alex on the same table, and Juliet and doop arrived on the next.  I set off on my own from the next bit, and caught up with Peter Turnbull and someone who was convinced he was the lantern rouge now, on Streatly Hill.  I put him correct on that one.  Spent most of the next bit yo-yoing with Peter and thinking I was finding it hard work for such a flat section.  Then I looked at the GPS altitude profile and realised we were high up again and had been climbing for some time.  Whizzy descent to Watlington followed!

Chris was just leaving as I arrived and I had some concern about him waiting for me at the finish.  Ate a light meal, talked to mostly the same people as at the previous control, plus Garry and Rich.  Went off in search of cash, and off again.

Legs starting to suffer now though hamstring not at all problematic.  Did the climb out, did some energy powder stuff at the top where an electric model plane was whizzing about, and then set off on the descent to Lambourn.  Descents are nice.  The flat bit after it wasn't - for some reason I now had no power at all (all that attacking, plus the football 1.5 days beforehand?).  It was a slog, the flat bit to Pangbourne, but I got there, having been caught by Rich, Matt, Peter, "lanterne rouge" and Alex.  But we got Rich again because he had a visit.  Was very welcome sight, the Jolly Good Food Co.  But they were out of most food and service was a bit slow.  No sign of Chris this time.  We had a very geeky conversation round the table, Ross having also made an appearance.

Off again, up the hill, pausing for a fettle with something and then Alex, Matt and I largely stuck together for the remainder.  My legs were happy now - happier in the hills by far  huh - and when the sun went away, and I put on the 1303 I dropped the others on the nasty descent towards Marlow because I could simply descend much faster than they could.  But I stopped on the climb on the way out, past the hairpin, to reassemble the broken light from earlier, so I'd have a working backup, and we were again three.  We pushed on and stuck to the main route throughout.  This time I made sure the other two stuck to my tail on the descents and we were able to make good speed.  Send the bill for the melted tarmac to someone else, please.  tongue  It is much better riding in the dark with company, for sure. Matt had a nasty incident with a car on the approach to Jordans, so stopped wilst Matt phoned the police to report it.  He wasn't hurt, fortunately.  We pushed on, and arrived shockingly late.

Chris had been waiting for over an hour, so I wolfed down the excellent control food (tuna pasta and baked beans on toast, and then more tuna pasta).  Then Chris drove me home and I had a bath and slept for ages.  Then woke up with a headache which I kept all Sunday and only got rid of on Monday morning.

Excellent route, nice weather, great company, lovely ride.  T'was nice riding with the banter from Matt and Alex and riding with the group then with Chris early on.

Many thanks to Manotea and family for running the ride and the finish control.