Linked Events

• The Great Big Skills Share Jamboree // West Bromwich: 29 June, 2013

Author Topic: The Great Big Skills Share Jamboree // 29th June, 2013 // West Bromwich  (Read 7338 times)

S'ok - I suspect there'll be another one at some stage to cater for a) the folks that can't make it to this one and b) the pyromaniacs. So, if you fall into either of those categories...    :)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
I'm an enthusiastic but incompetent pyromaniac, as those who witnessed me setting fire to my beard last year can attest.

Okay, here's a way for those who can't attend to contribute...

To aid with the timetabling, I'm toying with giving the different areas in the space identifying names/labels.
What ideas have you got? (probably about 5 different areas)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

Deep Space
Outer Space
Inner Space
Space/Time
and, of course, The Final Front Ear

I was going to add My Space
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Argh.  Pet hate of mine.  Event organisers (and for that matter, universities[1]) re-labelling spaces that already have official, or at least logical, names.  Crap temporary signage that's easily obscured by people standing around helps achieve the full effect.

So you end up wandering about with your timetable and copy of the campus map wondering which fictional computer/teletubby/benefactor they allocated to which lecture theatre this time.

Hence I'm compelled to suggest boring sensible things like "in front of the screen" "near the bogs" and "in the corner with the slanty windows".  I suggest ignoring my advice and going with Basil's much more interesting suggestion.

[1] Memories of bleary eyed Friday mornings trying to work out whether 'PLT' in hastily-scrawled notes referred to the newly-renamed main Engineering lecture theatre, or a nasty hike up the hill to the Physics building.  Usually hedged our bets by taking a circuitous route that visited them in increasing order of altitude, starting from the JCR coffee machines in the basement.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

I was going to add My Space

But that's been bagged by someone else, I believe.

"Your Space, or Mine?"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil is always right.  I will listen to Basil.  I will not ignore Basil's recommendations.  Basil is God.

*ignores Kim's advice* :)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Right - I have a bundle of lovely green wood, a stack of assorted abrasives and a great big box of wickedly sharp STABBYPOINTY.  Oh - and my camera bag, of course  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

I'm lying on a pile of beanbags trying to figure out where an enterprising person with climbing skills might be able to suspend a hammock...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I have, well, nothing really.   :-\

Feel like I should be bringing things.  Other than thumbs for barakta to borrow, I mean.  Fairly sure I'll bring those.

I've got a spare Carry Freedom hitch.  Maybe we could add it to the Fun Factory...

Maybe I'll just wing it with a SAK and some gaffer tape.

Mythbusters MacGyver Special, please!  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Neither of the torrents I found have found any peers since last night.

There are snippets on YouTube, but can't find the whole thing. :(

Hey ho.
Just bring your thumbs, then!

Hoping that you all have a wonderful time and loads of FUN! 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
No!  Not Fun!  We've almost finished the Fun!

Thanks Andrew.

Hope all you others have fun days doing whatever you're doing to.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Right - I have a bundle of lovely green wood, a stack of assorted abrasives and a great big box of wickedly sharp STABBYPOINTY.  Oh - and my camera bag, of course  :)

Bollocks.  Wish I was coming now.  If only to demonstrate "How Not To Do It".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
My thumb (which I'm definitely bringing) has almost healed, will probably suffice for that...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
I just got home from a particularly splendid gig.  And have had 3 pints, which is at the top of my limit.  I'll see you.... _possibly_ in the morning.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Sounds awesome.

You need
'chopping up space'
'Blinking space'
'thinking space'
'space to drop things'.

It needs to be identifiable. So how about suspending large stuffed animals or symbols from the ceiling.

This space
That space
into space
over here
over there
    bar (space bar)

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
I appear to be on a train. Fairly sure that means I'll be late but at least there! You may need to speak softly... 3 pints, and 3 hours sleep make for a faintly fuzzy lion!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
<me feel crap same>

<sign language broken>

<all fine sure>

clarion

• Tyke
Hope it all goes swimmingly.  Sorry we can't be there, but I'll be applying my limited skills to bike fettling, parenting and photoshop here.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Hope it all goes swimmingly.  Sorry we can't be there, but I'll be applying my limited skills to bike fettling, parenting and photoshop here.

+1. Hopefully I can contribute to the next one (or see if there is a Scottish edition.)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My thumb (which I'm definitely bringing) has almost healed, will probably suffice for that...

My brother, or most of him, attended my grand-daughter's birthday party on Thursday with his thumb bandaged up where he invaded the Personal Space of a bacon slicer.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.