Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 214101 times)

Afasoas

Fettled any computer stuff today?
« on: 30 April, 2013, 01:20:06 am »
Productive evening.

1) FTP server (on Synology NAS) now working. Nice and secure too (sFTP). PASV mode traversing two NAT (router) firewalls.
2) Mail server now working again (again on Syno NAS). Recent update to mailstation package overwrote loving hacked configs which used a relayhost and enabled SSL/TLS on SMTP. Mailstation now supports this out of the tin so just need re-configuring - no hacking required.
3) Renewed lapsed SSL certificates for the above

All relatively nice and easy.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2013, 09:35:47 pm »
Trying to put together a 'MovieOS' interface to a DNA database search ready for a masterclass for S1/S2 (year 8ish) students on Saturday. Spent a lot of time last night getting a text input box that will only take certain characters  (ACTG space and newline, case insensitive) and colours each character individually.
And now to get the results display to look nice. Coded the Javascript display stuff on the train on my way to/from the commonwealth games interview.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Afasoas

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2013, 02:48:06 am »
Decided to get a VPN server running on my router. Some Google-Ninja skills revealed a firmware upgrade would mean it could be configured easily via the router's web console rather than by hacking about in a terminal session.

The firmware upgrade (DD-WRT) bricked the router. Several hours later, the router is reflashed and re-configured but now I need to sleep. So the VPN server has to wait.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2013, 07:29:31 pm »
Started to fit new mother board (see barebones thread) into existing desktop case. All was going swminngly until I found the PSU is fitted with a 20 pin ATX connector, whilst the mother board has a 24 pin socket. Bum.  That's the trouble with standards, there's so many to choose from.  I can see an adaptor on Amazon that'll do the job and a "wrong sex" one on the Maplin website. Off to the Manshop tomorrow, followed by PC Whirled.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Afasoas

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2013, 01:59:31 am »
Hello Tim.
Did you get the barebones build finished?

I've just finished getting DD-WRT to run on an Edimax BR-6574N router. Quite a lot of reading up before hand gave the indication that it wasn't likely to work. And initially, although flashing the router went okay, the wireless radio's status was given as "unknown" with no wireless connectivity.

I started to try and flash a different version of the firmware on - reflashing didn't seem to work with no connectivity back into the router via TFTP. But in the course of a few resets, it all seems to have come hunky dory. Router will hopefully be working as a wireless client for a friend of mine helping them bridge ethernet connected PCs to an AP at the other end of the house.

In other news, my mailserver's (again) not working properly. It's timing out on connecting to the relayhost. So that's the next job...

Afasoas

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »
Just created a Gentoo LiveUSB using my Ubuntu Server VM.
Next job is to try a Gentoo install on the Netbook.

Is there another computer fettling thread somewhere?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2014, 03:42:00 pm »
Feeling a bit off colour, so only simple tasks today.

Running a full image backup of my laptop (essential requirements: dd, and something else to do) prior to converting that image to a virtual machine on my PC, prior to installing a new OS (lubuntu - to replace ubuntu) on said laptop.

I have Very Important Things on my laptop, so I want to ensure I have a working replica of it in the virtual world before I nuke the real thing from orbit.

Afasoas

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2014, 05:23:07 pm »
Lubuntu - LTS or latest? Let me know how you get on. I was using it on my Netbook - which I dusted off now and then to re-partition SD cards using Gparted.

I've got access to another Netbook with an easier to use trackpad which I might but Ubuntu back onto and see if it's any use for on-the-go web work/email.

I've been sidetracked into tidying up my laptop and sussing how to back it up over the network. Built-in Windoze Home Premium backup is castrated so it'll only back-up to locally connected devices.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 11 January, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »
Sat down to do a quick WAP config & couldn't connect to box. Can't even see it. Disconnected everything, hooked up another box that already works. Reboot: can't connect to that box either. Close down, switch to Ubuntu machine, redo from start, can't connect to either box. Serve me right for working on Saturday. Grrrrr.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:04:11 pm »
Minor fettle-attempting on the little PC which lives next to the TV - now I'm ditching the satellite TV it'll get a lot more use.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:06:44 pm »
Kim with me as trusty assistant fettled a friend's Lenovo laptop which had power DV jack fail. A wire needed resoldering and the power socket wedging and hotglueing into place. We only b0rked the stupid connector to drive lights in the process which isn't bad for a 4 spanner job to get AT the damned power jack.

I got rid of malware Babylon, Malware Bytesed the whole thing, have run ALL the updates which can now run unblocked by malware and am just giving the OS a bit of TLC as it's sitting downstairs and it's easy enough to do...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:45:40 pm »
I've just started a new job with a petrophysics consultancy and software house.
Their software package sells for £lots.

I've just installed the software package here on my home PC, but more interestingly I've just set up my own License Server and fettled licenses into it.   This is how we sell the product to corporate clients.  They install a License Server on a machine, we provide the License Files for the server, and all the internal clients grab their license from the internal company license server.   Means the client machines do not need Internet access.

Now, installing the License Server onto one of my home servers running Win Server 2008 R2 was a bunch of pain.   I've finally got it running.  I was discussing this with some of the guys at work, and they have had issues with such installs.  Now I've got it nailed down, I have to document exactly how to do it.

So tomorrow, I will un-install it all, and then start again with screen-captures to show the One True Way.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:50:25 pm »
Trying to teach my brother how to use his new Nexus 7 over Google Talk.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

David Martin

« Reply #14 on: 11 January, 2014, 10:05:37 pm »

So tomorrow, I will un-install it all, and then start again with screen-captures to show the One True Way.

I ended up writing software manuals because of exactly this - being fed up with the same issues again and again coming up on mailing lists, and knowing that the best thing to do was to write the dammed thing (and then also my name would be on all the relevant people's desks when I was looking for my next postdoc job :) )

barakta

« Reply #15 on: 11 January, 2014, 10:38:24 pm »
I do instructions with screenshots a lot for lovely but technologically-illiterate (and arguably willfully ignorant) colleagues and also for students.  I've got the art of screenshot, paste into paint.net, highlight or circle relevant things in semi dark pink and crop as needed, copy and paste out into word document with words... 

I save myself considerable "showing people it" time and repetitions by doing decent picturified instructions and some of the willfully ignorant people are now more willing to "try" for themselves rather than learned helplessness.

David Martin

« Reply #16 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:34:56 pm »
I find having a set of 'how to do it' files like that quite useful. I finally managed to train secretaries in using our enterprise calendaring system by responding to 'can you tell me when you are free?' emails with a 'all my appointments are in outlook. if I tell you now, then by the time you decide on a date it will no longer be available. Here is a guide on how to check my availability'

It took a number of iterations but finally we got there.

barakta

« Reply #17 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:47:52 pm »
*nods*

I tend to do them for anything I explain quite a lot. So changing BGCOLOR in Word/PDFs, or using text to speech etc.  Calendaring is one of those weird things which I find some people will do the way you're mentioning, others prefer to ask for preferences. Our lot have started to use something where a number of dates/times are offered and ppl are asked to complete Ideal/yes-but-not-ideal/no sort of thing as I imagine if you put stuff in some people's diaries they'll complain.

Reminds me I ought to check my work Outlook has my Wednesdays blocked out as I don't work Wednesdays. 

David Martin

« Reply #18 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:04:24 am »
I find it unproductive to play availability games. My availability is what Outlook says it is. You can request any free time. If I need time then I block it out.

Afasoas

« Reply #19 on: 12 January, 2014, 01:15:49 am »

Is the installation a candidate for automation?

Afasoas

« Reply #20 on: 14 January, 2014, 04:55:13 am »
Custom Gentoo kernel finally compiled and installed on the Netbook.
Bit of a fiddle to get the ethernet network working. Now it's ready for me to start configuring it as a LAMP server.

Might get some sleep first.

Chris S

« Reply #21 on: 14 January, 2014, 09:20:07 am »
Lubuntu - LTS or latest? Let me know how you get on. I was using it on my Netbook - which I dusted off now and then to re-partition SD cards using Gparted.

13.10. It's my current "go to" linux, given my dislike of Unity, but like for the Ubuntu Way. I've used xubuntu in the past, but lubuntu is a much more complete UI experience, and runs quite well on Netbooks.

Some of our netbook experiences have been poor recently - and I suspect Chrome + A Whole Bunch of Addins (including Adblock) is to blame, and anyway, I have a preference for a lighter weight OS.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #22 on: 14 January, 2014, 07:52:45 pm »
Installed Windows 8.1. :o  Got a £30 upgrade key off eBay (to upgrade from W7).

I thought 8.1 was supposed to be different from Windows 8 by looking like Windows 7?  It doesn't.  Never mind.  I know about How to Make Windows 8 or 8.1 Look and Feel Like Windows 7.

I'm having 8.1 in addition to 7, not instead.  I'm not that mad!  I'm doing it for experience and any under-the-bonnet improvements.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 14 January, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »
The bloody stupid thing set the clock an hour slow without me realising.  I'm missing Celebrity Bake Off!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Afasoas

« Reply #24 on: 14 January, 2014, 10:16:11 pm »
I'm looking to upgrade 3 laptops running win 7 home premium to win 7 professional.

At the moment, the only way seems to try and find three old win 7 pro oem licences and clean install. ..Maybe I need to get on eBay but as it's not my money, I don't really want to be held responsible if the license keys don't work.

I'm imaging the new webserver ...  using dd to clone a whole partition or a whole domain is easier than using partimage.