Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526381 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1475 on: 28 July, 2016, 11:37:52 am »
how's "The Jolly Japes of the MEMWNS and ACME" (a book wot he wrote to be serialised in Ferret Wranglers Monthly) coming along?

This is being held up a bit while we negotiate the film rights and deal with some casting issues.  We did have Barry Chuckle on board to play you but now Paul has thrown his hat in the ring as he doesn't want to miss out on what he describes as "the part of a lifetime".  He is even willing to shave off his moustache apparently.  As soon as the brothers sort it out we can move on with casting other roles.

Oh  :'( Can't I play myself?  My rates are more than reasonable and I'm willing to do all my own stunts  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1476 on: 28 July, 2016, 11:40:34 am »
I don't think you will have the time.  In a weird twist of fate, you are being lined up to play Barry Chuckle in a straight to DVD biopic.

There's also the question of box office appeal and we need a marquee name on board.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1477 on: 28 July, 2016, 12:02:24 pm »
I don't think you will have the time.  In a weird twist of fate, you are being lined up to play Barry Chuckle in a straight to DVD biopic.

There's also the question of box office appeal and we need a marquee name on board.

OK, fair enough.  Don't forget ACME / MEMWNS has it's own production company, Pickled Egg Productions; huggy heads it up.  He can do amazing things with a GroPro particularly if he's recently been to Boots (*) so has a fresh supply of lube.

(*) he also like Boots nail varnish which he says is good for touching up the paintwork on his bike but I'm not so sure ...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1478 on: 28 July, 2016, 04:41:46 pm »
It was a summer-paced ride over to the Axe & Compasses with the inevitable Oaky break away occurring as soon as he could smell the beer.

Even had time to sit up and zip my jersey up to show the sponsor's logo as I crossed the line!

In a final flourish and within sight of home, OD suddenly veered off the road for a literal hedge stop.
Was he swerving to avoid a giant steaming pile of tarmac?

I wish I was as past experience has shown that piles of tarmac provide a much softer landing.  A momentary lapse in concentration, possibly induced by that pesky 4th pint, saw me heading for the verge and once said verge had me in its grasp there was no escape, what happened next was inevitable - ouch!  ::-)

For everyone's delectation,  here it is in all it's glory!

(click to show/hide)

;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1479 on: 28 July, 2016, 04:45:10 pm »
Git.  I'm in pain you know!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1480 on: 28 July, 2016, 04:50:03 pm »
Oh, something else I was going to mention.  Last night I suggested that just for fun we could all join Tinder one evening and see what happened (idea noted in The Little Book of Good Ideas).  AndyC3333333333333333 then suggested we should join Grinder as well -  I'm not sure about that but you've got to applaud his creative thinking! 

Anyhow, in the sober light of day I can see how both ideas could cause the odd issue with our significant others, no matter how innocent our intentions were.

However, why not use Tinder and Grinder as recruiting tools for ACME?   ;D

What's the worst ...?

« Reply #1481 on: 28 July, 2016, 04:52:31 pm »
we should invent Mindr and see if we can recruit a Wednesday night carer for you.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1482 on: 28 July, 2016, 11:57:09 pm »
Git.  I'm in pain you know!

It turns out that there was CCTV running on Terling Road last night:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2M2pAM8wHA

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1483 on: 29 July, 2016, 06:23:26 am »
If that gets shown on You've Been Framed I shall want my share of the £250!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1484 on: 30 July, 2016, 03:53:55 pm »
May I take the liberty of drawing your attention to my latest BRIGHT IDEA.  It involves sleeping in a wood (most probably) with people (most probably men) you met on the internet or in parks.

Thank you.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1485 on: 02 August, 2016, 05:59:44 pm »
Can anyone or anyone's WAG knit?  I would love a pair of reflective sandal socks!  ;D

« Reply #1486 on: 02 August, 2016, 06:15:24 pm »
Yes, because when you are using the socks and sandal combination it is important that everyone can see it  :facepalm:

Tomsk goes for the stealth mode of black socks and only after dark, you share my stripey combination on facebook  :o

I say go for it OD, maybe some gloves as well.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1487 on: 02 August, 2016, 06:18:47 pm »
Any recommendations for Edinburgh drinking holes, I'm up there this Wednesday??
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1488 on: 04 August, 2016, 10:19:45 am »
Another great evening on the velodrome boards last night.  Thanks to huggy for organising it and congrats to mini-huggy on his first velodrome (and fixed gear) outing!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1489 on: 04 August, 2016, 10:21:25 am »
Yes, thanks huggy!!!

Nobody crashed - result!

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #1490 on: 04 August, 2016, 10:21:46 am »
Another great evening on the velodrome boards last night.  Thanks to huggy for organising it and congrats to mini-huggy on his first velodrome (and fixed gear) outing!

Yes thanks to Huggy for arranging another good trip to the velodrome again last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1491 on: 04 August, 2016, 10:22:35 am »
Yes, thanks huggy!!!

Nobody crashed - result!

OTOH, there were no hedges to tempt you.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1492 on: 04 August, 2016, 10:36:58 am »
Yes, thanks huggy!!!

Nobody crashed - result!

Yeah, all hedges and grass verges should be grubbed up. Wasn't it Agent Orange they used in Vietnam?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1493 on: 04 August, 2016, 10:58:17 am »
Yes, thanks huggy!!!

Nobody crashed - result!

Yeah, all hedges and grass verges should be grubbed up. Wasn't it Agent Orange they used in Vietnam?

The ACME equivalent campaign is currently running, using Agent HiViz to destroy the hedges, one bike width at a time.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1494 on: 04 August, 2016, 12:42:31 pm »
 ;D

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1495 on: 05 August, 2016, 10:27:27 pm »
Yes thanks to Huggy for arranging another good trip to the velodrome again last night
And more thanks from me - to Huggy for organising, and also to my fellow "novices" who patiently put up with going round the track at my speed in the last session when they probably could have gone quite a bit faster.......although I like to think what we didn't achieve in speed we made up for with slick and disciplined changes and some friendly teamwork!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1496 on: 06 August, 2016, 07:51:36 am »
Oh, something else I was going to mention.  Last night I suggested that just for fun we could all join Tinder one evening and see what happened (idea noted in The Little Book of Good Ideas).  AndyC3333333333333333 then suggested we should join Grinder as well -  I'm not sure about that but you've got to applaud his creative thinking! 

Anyhow, in the sober light of day I can see how both ideas could cause the odd issue with our significant others, no matter how innocent our intentions were.

However, why not use Tinder and Grinder as recruiting tools for ACME?   ;D

What's the worst ...?

As ever the reluctant teacher behind with my marking, I only occasionally get to look in this thread these days.

The emboldened is a new one on me. Who provides the Good ideas?

And OD, of course 4 pints are a good idea. It was the third pint that caused your mishap. Without the fourth, it would have hurt more.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1497 on: 07 August, 2016, 04:56:29 pm »
Another bright idea...[not mine]: Eddie Knight from Chelmsford [Penny Farthing racer, vintage bicycle collector, inventor, former audaxer, including the 2003 PBP] is putting together an Essex Cycling Festival next year to mark the 200th anniversary of the invention of the bicycle [Baron Von Drais, 1817]. He tells me he's booked High Easter village hall for the weekend of 15/16th July [a couple of weeks before LEL] and has offered ACME free use of the hall for an event venue [though we might negotiate something towards food etc].

There will be lots of bike-related things on, including vintage racing and endurance events, but on a circuit suitable for such machines. I was thinking of a range of Audax rides from 50 to 200km, perhaps a series of loops so as to take advantage of the catering and to slot in with the other events going on there...less in the way of food and logistical worries, so there's only the routes to sort out!

Any prospective/fledgling organiser interested in taking this on?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1498 on: 07 August, 2016, 05:58:07 pm »
After this weekend's triumph ...

"Paging Mr huggy, paging Mr huggy ..."

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1499 on: 07 August, 2016, 07:25:54 pm »
After this weekend's triumph ...