Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526421 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1550 on: 01 September, 2016, 05:10:28 pm »
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #1551 on: 04 September, 2016, 08:23:58 pm »
Guess who has put his Tubeless tyres back on the Croix De Fer?  :facepalm:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1552 on: 04 September, 2016, 09:54:44 pm »
I'm sure they'll work out on this time......
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1553 on: 05 September, 2016, 08:53:03 am »
After riding tubeless on my fixed since May and on the sooty since June, I had my first tubeless incident yesterday.

Haven't bothered to investigate any further but one of my fellow club riders pointed out that my back tyre was only half inflated.  I added some air and it was fine.  Not exactly dramatic and if that is all you have to suffer for that amount of riding then so be it.

I suspect there may be some pilot error involved somewhere (no surprises there then  :facepalm:).  I managed to unscrew the valve core while inflating the tyre before going out yesterday.  It is quite the little missile when it fires out of the valve under pressure. 

One thing I have noticed with tubeless is that you end up doing more inflating more often.  This seems to mean that the valve gets harder to open and close as time passes.  I think from now on I will hold the core in place with the little plastic thing that comes with the valves.

Tippers, you will be fine.  I don't know what all the fuss is about really.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1554 on: 05 September, 2016, 12:16:55 pm »
Just in case anyone's interested...

I finally got round to testing out a route I've been constructing for a few years now.  Codenamed "The Pubby 100km" (cryptic, huh?) It visits, or passes very close to a number of MEMWNS pubs (and a couple that were either planned but not visited, or visited on related outings).

The Pubby 100km at RwGPS

The pubs visited or nearly so are:-

PubDistance (km)Notes
The Battesford Court, Witham 0Start/finish for ACME winter Series Brevets.  Start point of MEMWNS Epiphany rides
The Rodney, Little Baddow 9 visited a couple of times.  N.B. It is not permissible to ride up North Hill and stop here.  you need to make it up to the General's Arms, then ride down again.
The General's Arms, Little Baddow 10Visited in passing.  Looking a bit shabby/possible closed last time we rode past.
The Anchor, Danbury 13Not visited on MEMWNS (but chief and I incorporated it in a pub crawl once)
The Hurdlemaker's Arms, Woodham Mortimer 17visited a few times.  The finger of one of my gloves once spontaneously combusted due the the pace at which I rode up North Hill on the way here (or something like that)
The Norton, Cold Norton 24 (1 km off route)Visited at least once.  WAGs night, tattoo inspection and a literal pissing competition in the name of research
The Prince of Wales, Stow Maries 25 Lovely pub - visited at least a couple of times.
The Hoop, Stock 42 (0.5km off-route)Visited at least once.
(The Bear, Stock 42)never visited, but it has a spiffy bear statue outside.
The White Hart, Margaretting Tye 44 Site of inaugural MEMWNS and ill-fated forward planning meeting.  Also site of wowbagger's Stag impression
The Viper, Mill Green 51mmm.... Chilli!
The Leather Bottle, Blackmore 59Possibly not visited (but planned many moons ago)
The Wheatsheaf, Writtle 68quirky little pub, beloved of the Chelmsford CAMRA chapter
The Three Elms, Chignal St James 73Scotch Eggs, Pork Scratchings, and that one time, way too much Bourbon
The Pig and Whistle, Chignal Smeally 78Used as a warm-up venue by some of our number on "That Night"
The Walnut Tree, Broad's Green 80The main venue for "That Night".  Comedy photography.
The Rose and Crown, Great Waltham 82 (1km off route)Pork Puppets!
The Compasses, Littley Green 86not sure what this place is like. :demon:
The Castle, Great Leighs 90Visited once since its refurb.  Spendy.
The Square and Compasses, Fuller Street 93An old stalwart, recently neglected (has switched to mainly food focus with little bar-only area now).  The first pub to be visited by the studded tyres of the Essex Pub Rescue Brigade
The Battesford Court, Witham 103See above.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1555 on: 05 September, 2016, 12:40:00 pm »
PubDistance (km)Notes
GREAT!! It goes to Stock  :thumbsup:  :facepalm:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1556 on: 05 September, 2016, 12:44:40 pm »
PubDistance (km)Notes
GREAT!! It goes to Stock  :thumbsup:  :facepalm:

I thought of you as I approached, and my GPS was counting down the distance to "C1 D&B Cafe"

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1557 on: 05 September, 2016, 12:55:42 pm »
Hmmm, let's not try to do that in a day!  Although you've reminded me or a few more pubs we've been neglecting.

« Reply #1558 on: 05 September, 2016, 01:08:47 pm »
When I was in Aldeburgh at the weekend I picked up the local CAMRA newsletter.

They had several pages devoted to what they call "Cycale" routes.  Each route had 3 or 4 pubs, about 20 miles of cycling on lanes and a mile or so of COR.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1559 on: 05 September, 2016, 01:12:07 pm »
Great idea, to think we've been doing it since 2009!  I think CAMRA should give us all life memberships.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1560 on: 05 September, 2016, 01:53:02 pm »
Hmmm, let's not try to do that in a day!  Although you've reminded me or a few more pubs we've been neglecting.

20 pubs?  In one day?  What's the worst that could happen?

...."In the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia,...."  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1561 on: 05 September, 2016, 02:08:33 pm »
That's only 10 pints if we stick to 'halfs', or 20*(1/3) if they do then little glass things...

The General's Arms, Little Baddow - often pretends to be closed at the approach of 2 wheels...  :hand: Worthy of a turning point for TMNH and that's about it I think...   :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1562 on: 05 September, 2016, 02:43:50 pm »
I think a Saturday outing with a subset of highlights would be a nice outing...

Cut-down list...  (first Battesford Court visit would be for breakfast... keeping powder dry until The Hurdlemaker's).  That brings it down to 11 beer stops...

PubDistance (km)Notes
The Battesford Court, Witham 0Start/finish for ACME winter Series Brevets.  Start point of MEMWNS Epiphany rides
The Hurdlemaker's Arms, Woodham Mortimer 17visited a few times.  The finger of one of my gloves once spontaneously combusted due the the pace at which I rode up North Hill on the way here (or something like that)
The Prince of Wales, Stow Maries 25 Lovely pub - visited at least a couple of times.
The White Hart, Margaretting Tye 44 Site of inaugural MEMWNS and ill-fated forward planning meeting.  Also site of wowbagger's Stag impression
The Viper, Mill Green 51mmm.... Chilli!
The Leather Bottle, Blackmore 59Possibly not visited (but planned many moons ago)
The Wheatsheaf, Writtle 68quirky little pub, beloved of the Chelmsford CAMRA chapter
The Three Elms, Chignal St James 73Scotch Eggs, Pork Scratchings, and that one time, way too much Bourbon
The Walnut Tree, Broad's Green 80The main venue for "That Night".  Comedy photography.
The Compasses, Littley Green 86not sure what this place is like. :demon:
The Battesford Court, Witham 103See above.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1563 on: 05 September, 2016, 02:49:57 pm »
... and so, children, that's how the ACME DIY by Untappd check-in was born.

« Reply #1564 on: 05 September, 2016, 03:01:02 pm »
The General's Arms, Little Baddow  10 Visited in passing.  Looking a bit shabby/possible closed last time we rode past

The General's Arms, Little Baddow - often pretends to be closed at the approach of 2 wheels...  :hand: Worthy of a turning point for TMNH and that's about it I think...   :thumbsup:

Seems odd. It's alright inside. My motor club uses it for social nights once a month and they are quite welcoming to us despite the fact we are mostly in cars and therefore not much ale is consumed. We also have a BBQ in the summer and the food is alright.

As CAMRA options go it's not great being a Spitfire pub but usually there is something drinkable in the pumps.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1565 on: 05 September, 2016, 03:24:19 pm »
... and so, children, that's how the ACME DIY by Untappd check-in was born.

Although it pains me to say so that's quite a good idea. I'm not sure if visiting 11 pubs in one day is going to end well but it's an imaginative and audacious plan.

« Reply #1566 on: 05 September, 2016, 03:28:21 pm »
Although it pains me to say so that's quite a good idea. I'm not sure if visiting 11 pubs in one day is going to end well but it's an imaginative and audacious plan.
A visit doesn't have to include the consumption of alcoholic beverages!  :o
I know it's a strange concept but give it some thought.  :thumbsup: 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1567 on: 05 September, 2016, 03:37:00 pm »
A visit doesn't have to include the consumption of alcoholic beverages!  :o
I know it's a strange concept but give it some thought.  :thumbsup:
for example, a pickled egg could substitute  :D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1568 on: 05 September, 2016, 05:27:56 pm »
Any recommendations for a pub somewhere between Wivenhoe & Harwich
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1569 on: 07 September, 2016, 09:02:15 am »
October Audax events are fast approaching...

Richard Ellis Memorial 100 & 200 on 1st, plus Wilkyboy's new 100/200 Cambridge Autumnals on 8th Oct - helpers needed...

Tentative plan is for the Helpers' Rides to be a fortnight in advance, so we can ride each others' and be available to help on the day. Question is, will my marriage cope with Four Saturdays of Assorted Audaciousness on the trot??

« Reply #1570 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:17:58 pm »
I need to sign up for the Rich Ellis ride....I'm still swaying between the 100 and 200 at this point though. I quite like starting a new Audax year with a 100 I guess I could ECE it and be back in good time!

The rest of my October is likely to be pretty quiet with Work and Real Life stuff causing all kinds of havoc as it stands. I'm sure I'll find a way of sneaking in something though but unlikely to be a calendar event.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1571 on: 07 September, 2016, 01:46:11 pm »
Richard Ellis Memorial 100 & 200 on 1st
As much as I was planning on either of these, probably ECE'ing the 100 if I was to ride that, some poor advanced planning on my part means that we will be travelling back from a week in Devon on the 1st and the current Mrs H is not too keen to cut short the holiday by a few hours. So unfortunately I won't be at the inaugural REM, probably.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1572 on: 07 September, 2016, 05:42:37 pm »
REM Helpers' Ride is probably going to be on 17th Sept. I can't ride due to Carnival commitments, but Wilkyboy plans to and a plus is you can finish at the Angel & Harp Carnival Beer Festival and stay for the evening fireworks in the Rec...

I might ride the 100km the following day, though.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1573 on: 07 September, 2016, 05:48:23 pm »
I've signed up for the 200 REM, the 100 would have been an option, but ece'ing 100km to Dunmow isn't as easy as it sounds :)

I won't be around for the helpers ride I'm afraid... I'll probably be somewhere in Belgium/France :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1574 on: 08 September, 2016, 10:35:56 am »
The ACME peloton made its now annual trip to the Woolpack's beer festival preview last night. 

I arrived to find Tomsk and Soupy already on station and sampling.  Mr and Mrs JiberJaber were also in attendance having walked down the well trodden path that takes them from their house to the Woolpack and Bilash .  According to Mrs J she had been frogmarched down to the pub at some pace, so eager was her consort to start the sampling.

The Witham chapter composed of huggy, OD, Hotblack, GavinSSN and the Gear Whisperer rolled in some time later.  The lateness of their arrival and the slightly haunted look on their faces presumably meant that OD's route had proved every bit as interesting as his other efforts.

Beer festival rules were applied but this didn't stop Hotblack and GavinSSN using the GW as their waiter for the night.  The poor GW was trying to save some energy for Saturday's flatlands trip but they were having none of it.  Meanwhile, the GW himself spent most of the evening sulking and muttering into his pint about the fact that Huggy and I were not riding with him on Saturday.  He almost had us feeling sorry for him with his lament about travelling the fens alone and unloved.  Of course he will be fine and will have several esteemed members of the ACME peloton and Bobb if he needs to share a bus shelter on the way to Lincoln.

My excuse for not riding the Flatlands was that I had hurt my knee and therefore had barely ridden in August.  If only I had known that help was literally at hand, OD's healing hands that is.  A swift rub of his hands and then laying them onto my knee and I was instantly... embarrassed by a slightly creepy picture of the occasion on social media.  At least I forgot my sore knee for a while.

Various ales were sampled with the more avant garde in our number opting for a range of fruit beers and a ginger flavoured ale. OD is certainly acquiring a rather unique set of badges on Untappd.

Anyway it was good to be out on a Wednesday having missed a few recently.