Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526317 times)

ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2075 on: 09 February, 2017, 02:21:03 pm »
A new pub for us last night, the Kings Head in Tollesbury.  A surprise all round; good old fashioned boozer (public and lounge bars), fine selection of Essex Energy Drinks, busy, real fire and a suspiciously high brow quiz going on in amongst everything.

It was an outing for the Fixed Wing of MEMWNS; me, Tomsk, Tippers, Jiber, the Award Winner and special guest Jane.

Talking of attendance:

Quote from OD:-

"forecast says dry and 2degs. That's okay isn't it?"

Not for him apparently, he didn't make it.

Quote from the Retiree:-

"I think Ted just needs to Tomsk up a bit OD look at the mileage Tom is happy to put in on Wednesday night."

Tomsk and I made it.  The Retiree did not.

Anyway, those that did make it out in the cold had a jolly time.  We sampled Thirslet Spit (available at this pub only), Mansion Mild, Kaltenberg and Old Empire IPA (no one spotted it was 5.7% until we had finished it).  Thirslet Spit took the coveted Quaffers' Choice award.

Talk was of the Award Winner's new fixed machine, Jiber's new bike for this week and bag drops for LEL.

We left to be met by sleet trying hard to be snow.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2076 on: 09 February, 2017, 02:43:43 pm »
Talking of attendance:

It wasn't the weather which kept me off the road  ::-)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2077 on: 09 February, 2017, 03:58:35 pm »
Talking of attendance:

I'm so disappointed that I missed my birthday kiss, I'm feeling very let down.

« Reply #2078 on: 09 February, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »
Talking of attendance:

It was the weather that kept you inside?

« Reply #2079 on: 09 February, 2017, 05:11:07 pm »
ACME mudflaps?

This has been mentioned previously, and the topic came up again at the weekend when I was riding with a 'not long enough' rear mudguard. Presumably somebody has a suitably high quality ACME logo that could be thrown onto a mudflap and sold via the ACME shop? The two companies that I am aware that could make them up are:

https://www.topflaps.co.uk/ - they provide a wide version, which would suit those with 32 / 35mm tyres. No updates on their website for a year though.
http://rawmudflap.uk/ - the other option

Thoughts?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2080 on: 09 February, 2017, 05:44:08 pm »
I think there was discussion in one of the ACME threads about the possibility of this, rawmudflap seemed to be the most likely...  I certainly would be interested in a couple if not 3!
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2081 on: 09 February, 2017, 06:23:02 pm »
I suppose a pair would be useful to quieten the delicate flowers hugging my wheel ::-)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2082 on: 09 February, 2017, 06:25:52 pm »
I suppose a pair would be useful to quieten the delicate flowers hugging my wheel ::-)

Yes I am sure our jerseys and delicate stomachs will thank you too!  :-*
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2083 on: 09 February, 2017, 06:38:50 pm »
Delicate stomachs!!!

You lot ride on Maccy D's, Wetherspoons, greasy spoon caffs, curry and beer.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2084 on: 09 February, 2017, 06:43:28 pm »
Delicate stomachs!!!

You lot ride on Maccy D's, Wetherspoons, greasy spoon caffs, curry and beer.

Yeah but to be fair, the plates / surfaces we eat them off aren't the state of the road where the stuff splattered off a back wheel comes from :D  :thumbsup:  (plus everyone knows that beer with food unleashes it's anti-bacterial effect instantly!)
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2085 on: 09 February, 2017, 06:56:48 pm »
One of the functions of stomach acid is to kill the bacteria one ingests.

However, to appease the  frail, immune compromised souls behind me I will order a pair of mud flaps.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2086 on: 09 February, 2017, 07:05:45 pm »
One of the functions of stomach acid is to kill the bacteria one ingests.

However, to appease the  frail, immune compromised souls behind me I will order a pair of mud flaps.

Knew you would see sense! :)  :thumbsup:

Just need to sort out that noise on your bike and we can have a peaceful ride along as a group...  ;D

Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2087 on: 09 February, 2017, 07:08:27 pm »
I'm fully expecting to contract gastroenteritis on my next Audax as penance :sick:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2088 on: 09 February, 2017, 07:13:28 pm »

Just need to sort out that noise on your bike and we can have a peaceful ride along as a group...  ;D

I can't quite manage a new bike every week like some folk, so I've splashed out on a new non shitmano chain, fingers crossed for a smooth and silent ride.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2089 on: 09 February, 2017, 07:16:13 pm »
Did you ever investigate the freewheel, I think our group diagnostic powers were tending to think hub related? (ride another rear wheel perhaps?)   Chain sounds odd as the frequency was faster than I would expect from say a stiff link.... hope it works though!
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2090 on: 09 February, 2017, 07:20:14 pm »
I think it's the cassette and chain interface, it's ok when it's slathered in oil, for the first 50km, noisy soon after.

I shouldn't ask, but are there any other complaints I can rectify?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2091 on: 09 February, 2017, 07:22:20 pm »
Well since you ask.... I am sure Graeme will be along with some shortly.... you could work a bit on that meat avoidance thing you have of course!  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2092 on: 10 February, 2017, 02:45:31 pm »
I shouldn't ask, but are there any other complaints I can rectify?

Well, now that you mention it...

« Reply #2093 on: 14 February, 2017, 06:58:56 am »
I now have access to the LEL rider's area. Only a few folk have registered start times thus far, but my initial observation is that people seem to select on the hour times more than the quarter past or quarter to times, which is what I was expecting.

Was there any consensus on ACME team names, start times and bag drop locations?

« Reply #2094 on: 14 February, 2017, 11:03:41 am »
Team Acme Anvil has a plan  :thumbsup:

We might shift to a quarter past time though based on what you are saying.

Our current plan is a 14.00 start.

« Reply #2095 on: 14 February, 2017, 11:10:57 am »
Wednesday night discussion resulted in ACME Dynamite looking at the16:00 start. Nothing like taking it from behind  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2096 on: 16 February, 2017, 08:58:20 am »
Yesterday evening was excellent.  Myself, AndyC333333333333333333333333333333 plus our new girl Jane set off from Spa Road and into a balmy 6oC night.  Up TMNH we went where we found Jan patiently waiting by the General's Arms - no Dave unfortunately.  There were two dogging cars down at Hurrell's Lane ford. 

It was 25 miles and 2140hrs by the time we got to the King Billy, jibers thought we had bailed out!  Anyhow we were warmly welcomed by the landlord, landlady and their two dogs.  As well as lovely beer and cider I had a cheeseboard in lieu of my dinner.

The conversation ebbed and flowed as we slowly introduced Jane to some of the more noteworthy aspects of MEMWNS lore.  I am delighted to report that Jane is integrating nicely and is well up for pickled eggs at The Compasses next week  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2097 on: 16 February, 2017, 06:24:56 pm »
Righty ho then.  Thank you for your input, I have just typed ACME's FAQs and answers.  The intention is to submit this copy to web wizard bobb for inclusion in ACME.bike.  But first I'd like your feedback.  NB - I haven't included all the suggested FAQs and some will be answered in a blindingly obvious fashion elsewhere of the website ...

Q: What is an audax?
A: First of all an audax is not a race; it is a cycling event over a set route which has to be ridden within a minimum and maximum time limit.  In most instances you have to pass through control points and collect proof of passage.  Audax events can vary from 50km to in excess of 1000kms.  In the UK audax rides are organised under the auspices of Audax UK (AUK) [insert link].

Audaxes might not be competitive but they are certainly challenging as riders pit themselves against terrain and distance.  Self-sufficiency is key as routes are not signposted nor is very much support offered.  Sometimes all you get from an organiser is a route, a brevet card on which you record your proof of passage and a cheery wave!

The origins of audax date back Italian endurance sports of the late nineteenth century, and the rules were formalised in France in the early twentieth century.  The word “audax” has its roots in the Latin word for “audacious”.

Q: Blimey, audax sounds daunting, where do I start?
A:  Don’t worry, we are a friendly bunch and are only too pleased to help beginners as we were all beginners once!

Q: What sort of bike do I need?
A:  When you’re starting out the best bike is the one you already have!  We don’t want you spending loads of cash before you have worked out what sort of bike suits you. 

There are some basic points you ought to bear in mind.  Firstly, you will be astride your bike all day, sometimes all night so it must be comfortable.  Secondly, you will probably need to carry some stuff so you should be able to attach luggage to your bike.  Thirdly, you will probably be riding with a group and British roads are often wet so mudguards will prevent you spraying muck over the rider behind and over your clothes.

Q: Where is mid-Essex?
A:  Mid-Essex can be anywhere you want it to be, it’s more a state of mind!

Q: What is MEMWNS?
A:  MEMWNS is the Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series [insert link].  We like to think of the MEMWNS as the social arm of ACME, although given that it pre-dates ACME by some years (the first MEMWNS ride was in 2009) it is more accurate to say that ACME is the audax arm of the MEMWNS!

Q: What is an Essex energy drink?
A: Beer!  Many ACME members love a pint of proper real ale, preferably locally brewed.  But you might also see a slightly sweaty rider in an ACME jersey enjoying a glass of Merlot or a G&T.  That said, ACME riders love tea, quality coffee and above all cake!  So don’t think you have to drink alcohol to enjoy ACME – far from it!

Q: Do you have to be a man of a certain age to join ACME?
A:  No. It is true that the stereotype of an audxer is a bearded, middle aged white bloke who wears socks with sandals and avoids eye contact.  But ACME’s membership is as varied as it is diverse so please join us whoever you are – you’ll be very, very welcome.

Q: How do I register my AUK allegiance to ACME?
A: Did we just say audax isn’t competitive?  That isn’t strictly true.  Audax events over 200k attract points and points win prizes in the form of dodgy looking trophies, badges, stickers and bragging rights!  Also the various audax clubs compete to amass the most number of points from their membership.  We want ACME to be the biggest, best, world dominating, all conquering, second to none, most bodacious audax club the universe (and beyond) has ever seen an will ever see!  Oh yes! 

So when you join AUK you need to state you are an ACME member so your points will count against the club’s grand total.  And if you are already an AUK member see the light, come to mama, dig a tunnel, climb the fence, run for all you’re worth under the cover of darkness, swim raging torrents and defect to ACME!  We want you and above all we want your points!  The club you are with at the moment don’t like you, they talk about you behind your back – it’s disgraceful.  Come to ACME, we will love you and cherish you now and forever more.  Just get on the AUK website and change your allegiance – DO IT NOW!

Q: Does ACME have an initiation ceremony or ritual?
A: Officially we don’t, we wouldn’t want to put people off joining our merry band of happy cyclists.  But, when the moon is waning, and you might find yourself in a mid-Essex public house with a few ACME members and the aforementioned ACME members might develop a twinkle of the eye a pickled egg and a bag of crisps might be produced.  Of such stuff legends are made!

Q: How funny is COR?
A: “COR” stands for Comedy Off Roading.  COR is an activity whereby bicycles designed primarily to be ridden of roads with a Tarmacadam surface are ridden on roads which have no such surface.  Indeed they may not even be roads!  Some ACME members love a bit of COR, others detest it and the ensuing tension between these opposing schools of thought causes much merriment and leads to much banter.  So, in answer to the question, there are few things funnier than COR!

What do you think?  Don't be shy.

« Reply #2098 on: 16 February, 2017, 06:46:28 pm »
Very good OD. An enjoyable read, and I think that hits the spot perfectly. Didn't take me long to work out who the stereotypical audaxer was, wearing socks and sandals.

One or two minor typos, but I presume this is a draft so I wont shout those out.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2099 on: 16 February, 2017, 07:45:55 pm »
Please point out the typos!!!