Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526364 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2125 on: 19 February, 2017, 01:05:43 pm »
I've been tweeting our stuff from my account thus far as I CBA to create a separate one for ACME plus build up all the followers again - happy to create a new one and register it to the gmail account we have... I've been using the hashtag #ACME

OK, I guess we *could* just use your account if you don't mind the site linking to it etc... Or we could create a new one.  Might look better being an official ACME account. But it does mean logging into it as ACME every time you want to tweet ACME stuff... Or can you tweet as ACME from your own account if you're an admin? I don't really use Twitter much so don't know!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2126 on: 19 February, 2017, 01:11:27 pm »
Searching on the #ACME hashtag brings up some varied and interesting results.

I don't use Twitter much either and don't really get it.  Given jibers is our Head of Social Media I think we should leave it to him.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2127 on: 19 February, 2017, 01:30:31 pm »
COR is an activity whereby bicycles designed primarily to be ridden of on roads with a Tarmacadam surface
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2128 on: 19 February, 2017, 03:22:14 pm »
I've been tweeting our stuff from my account thus far as I CBA to create a separate one for ACME plus build up all the followers again - happy to create a new one and register it to the gmail account we have... I've been using the hashtag #ACME

OK, I guess we *could* just use your account if you don't mind the site linking to it etc... Or we could create a new one.  Might look better being an official ACME account. But it does mean logging into it as ACME every time you want to tweet ACME stuff... Or can you tweet as ACME from your own account if you're an admin? I don't really use Twitter much so don't know!

We now have an official twitter feed, @ACME_Essex  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2129 on: 19 February, 2017, 04:24:56 pm »

We now have an official twitter feed, @ACME_Essex  :thumbsup:

Awesome!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2130 on: 22 February, 2017, 12:02:00 pm »
Cycling new terrain in 2017?

I’m planning 200km rides in the hills south of London, and on the flat in Holland. Is anybody interested in either at some point later in the year? Details are:

Meridian Hills / Around Weald Expedition - 2 very picturesque permanent rides, both of which I’ll be riding this year. I rode the Around Weald last year, and found it tiring with quite a bit of cycling upwards, but the route was very picturesque. Both rides count towards the Grimpeur du Sud award, and you can start just off the M25 not far from the QE2 bridge.

Holland - overnight ferry from Harwich (11pm on a Friday, arrives in Hook of Holland at 8am), cycle a DIY 200km, arriving back to catch the overnight ferry to Harwich (10pm, arriving 6:30am). 14 hours is plenty of time for a leisurely 200km ride.

Dates - I’m quite flexible, and would suggest sometime between mid-June and mid-July, or end-August/beginning of September.

Oaky has previously expressed an interest in the Holland adventure. At the moment I’m just looking for interest, then can sort dates and start making arrangements. I'll be at the Compasses next Wednesday, and the Horsepower on 4th March, if you'd like more details.
Potentially up for the Dutch trip but will depend on what state my marriage is in after LEL and all the rides leading up to it.

My 2 rides up north the shark and Oasts and Coasts will be the end of my hilly stuff!

Also, just to note, on the Harwich -> Hook ferry a cabin is no longer optional for the overnight sailing.

« Reply #2131 on: 22 February, 2017, 12:37:46 pm »
On the subject of rides in forrin, I was looking at the Fairies 300 in Kent and the Not the Spurn Head 400 in Yorkshire as possible away days. 

Any interest ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2132 on: 22 February, 2017, 12:46:41 pm »
On the subject of rides in forrin, I was looking at the Fairies 300 in Kent and the Not the Spurn Head 400 in Yorkshire as possible away days. 

Any interest ?

And in order to keep up with your peers and not appear to be a complete wuss you'll need to do all the above on fixed  ;D

« Reply #2133 on: 22 February, 2017, 12:50:07 pm »
Fortunately I am secure enough in my own incompetence awheel that I don't need to prove it.

I will shortly be switching back to gears so that I can remember how to use them in time for LEL.  Tippers will be doing LEL on fixed because Wilkyboy will bully/persuade him into it.  I will not.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2134 on: 22 February, 2017, 12:53:27 pm »
Fortunately I am secure enough in my own incompetence awheel that I don't need to prove it.

I will shortly be switching back to gears so that I can remember how to use them in time for LEL.  Tippers will be doing LEL on fixed because Wilkyboy will bully/persuade him into it.  I will not.

Blimey!  An outbreak of original thinking!  Chapeau!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2135 on: 22 February, 2017, 02:07:17 pm »
Back to ACME.bike ...

There is scope to have an ACME Hall of Fame.  Is this something we'd like?  Who should be in it?  Is there an alternative?  We could just have a list of ACME officers or board / committee members which obviously is a challenge given we don't have a board or committee unless you include a bunch of random ACME members sat round a table in a random mid-Essex pub.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2136 on: 22 February, 2017, 06:29:21 pm »

Any interest ?

Yes to Fairies 300
Was also considering Yorkshire Gallop 200km as well...
Not seen Spurn 400 though? I think I have enough 400's in the forward planning at the moment...

Current planning:
18. Mar Pork Pie Audax 200km
25. Mar Yorkshire Gallop 200km
02. Apr Shark Audax 200km
08. Apr Shaftsburry 200km
13. Apr Easter Arrow
29. Apr LWL 400km Audax
06. May G&Y 300km Audax
07. May Ride4Helen 100km
03. Jun A&S 400km Audax
18. Jun Faries Flatest 300km Audax
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2137 on: 23 February, 2017, 12:38:39 pm »
Lack of ride report make me feel I need to fill in (temporarily)

MEMWNS Compasses Littley Green Feb 17
A longish route out via Hanningfields dodging the frogs and a new discovery of the ford on Sporehams Lane - I'll probably give that a miss in future though it was a nice alternative to the usual trafficked routes to Danbury.

Total count of frogs - lost count, easily over 30!, 3 bunnies and 1 badger, no owls or deer. I passed the Witham peloton making their way up TMNH on my route over to Compasses.

Pic of Frog was the one I saved from sitting in the road after passing him and going 200m down the road before turning round, daft fella was still sat there motionless.... I think they must still be half asleep!

I arrived 15mins later than I wanted to at the pub, Carlos, Andrew & Nik were already in place after I joined them and ordered my Huffer Tom soon joined, followed by Dan and then the rest of the Witham peloton, Jan, Grant, Steve, Hot Black.

Lots of talk about future cycling exploits, at least one trip abroad planned and some good beer quaffed....

A mixed bag of headwind on the way home with some wet stuff thrown in, Vulpine Fortress jersey performed really well in this weather. Considering it was 13MPH gusting 20MPH when I left home, the headwind felt rather tame in comparison.

Side effect of riding fixed for most rides since Xmas was an inability to change gear when required and forgetting I could freewheel! LOL

First time out with the C13 and IQ-X - both worked well I thought!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2138 on: 23 February, 2017, 03:09:59 pm »
So what is the September date for the "ACME go Dutch" trip???

« Reply #2139 on: 23 February, 2017, 03:26:00 pm »
Not sure. In my brave state last night I told Catherine I was going though....she quite clearly did not agree with my authority and I might not am not coming  ;D

« Reply #2140 on: 23 February, 2017, 04:36:37 pm »
I think I might be pushing it with LEL and a couple of away days in the run up to LEL.

I would really like to give it a go though...

We need another bumpkins trip as well.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2141 on: 23 February, 2017, 05:01:57 pm »
Not sure. In my brave state last night I told Catherine I was going though....she quite clearly did not agree with my authority and I might not am not coming  ;D
Why don't you all go as a family, you ride a 200km and they have a thoroughly enjoyable potter around the fabulous Dutch cycle paths? (or visit Rotterdam for the day, or go to look at windmills, etc etc)

We might be up for a Dutch adventure, doing an audax ride there has been on the provisional "to do" list for a couple of years but hasn't yet happened.

« Reply #2142 on: 23 February, 2017, 05:22:02 pm »
Holland dates. The general consensus was to cycle to/from Harwich (although nothing stopping anybody 'cheating' and using another form of transport). There was also a split in June/July v Sept, and possibly both. However, with Tippers looking slightly less committed, September may be the better bet.

Flatlands is on the 9th/10th, and the 2nd was discounted. Therefore we're looking at either of the following 2 weekends, namely:

Friday night ferry, 15th Sept, returning back to Harwich early morning on 17th Sept. Fitting a 200km ride in between on the 16th.

or night ferry on 22nd Sept, returning early on 24th Sept, with riding on the 23rd.

It was mooted that there weren't likely to be any discounted rates for the ferry, although the fares might be cheaper the earlier you book them. Once we have an agreed date, I'd be keen to get the tickets sorted and out of the way. I'll check if there is such a thing as a group booking rate.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2143 on: 23 February, 2017, 06:26:47 pm »
A couple of routes which might be of interest
Easy one first, Chelmsford to Harwich
https://www.strava.com/activities/706330978

Out South from Hoek (garmin missed off half the track but I have the planned route still)
https://www.strava.com/activities/707440557

Route in to Hoek from North (Zaandam)
https://www.strava.com/activities/390759450

No preference on dates post LEL, I think I can only fit something in from 24 June onwards before LEL
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2144 on: 24 February, 2017, 07:27:34 am »
A couple of routes which might be of interest
Easy one first, Chelmsford to Harwich
https://www.strava.com/activities/706330978

Out South from Hoek (garmin missed off half the track but I have the planned route still)
https://www.strava.com/activities/707440557

Route in to Hoek from North (Zaandam)
https://www.strava.com/activities/390759450

No preference on dates post LEL, I think I can only fit something in from 24 June onwards before LEL

Can you go directly south over all those bridges and islands down to Middelburg?  That looks like fun and would be very Dutch.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2145 on: 24 February, 2017, 09:22:03 am »
I'd note that some of the bike paths especially in the city can be like our M25! Plus there is an appearance of not looking at all behind (or signalling) before maneuvering, but no one seems to crash except us Brits. It must be some sort of bat -sense created by having the luxury of been able to cycle from such an early age with such good infra!  Takes a little while to get used to.

ETA: I've looked better at what you were on about, yes: here https://www.strava.com/activities/387970405
Those bridges are massive dykes - I'd warn utterly cruel in a headwind as they are super exposed, but pretty epic cycling!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2146 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:13:36 am »

ETA: I've looked better at what you were on about, yes: here https://www.strava.com/activities/387970405
Those bridges are massive dykes - I'd warn utterly cruel in a headwind as they are super exposed, but pretty epic cycling!

I've ridden that section a couple of times - once with a massive tailwind and the other with massive headwind. Luck of the draw!

« Reply #2147 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:55:31 am »

Can you go directly south over all those bridges and islands down to Middelburg?  That looks like fun and would be very Dutch.
I took the sea front route on my tour last year. Slight headwind but nothing bad, if it is bad it would be a true struggle as there is nowhere to hide. It's very interesting riding along the dykes though and very flat.

One thing I would also add as a warning is if it rains you can expect to chew through your chain if you are doing a 200 along the front, the sand gets flicked up and it starts to grate very quickly.

edit: I am trying to convince Alys that we should do a long weekend along that coast somewhere with some camping along the way. No Audaxing though.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2148 on: 24 February, 2017, 11:53:37 am »
Holland dates. The general consensus was to cycle to/from Harwich (although nothing stopping anybody 'cheating' and using another form of transport). There was also a split in June/July v Sept, and possibly both. However, with Tippers looking slightly less committed, September may be the better bet.

Flatlands is on the 9th/10th, and the 2nd was discounted. Therefore we're looking at either of the following 2 weekends, namely:

Friday night ferry, 15th Sept, returning back to Harwich early morning on 17th Sept. Fitting a 200km ride in between on the 16th.

or night ferry on 22nd Sept, returning early on 24th Sept, with riding on the 23rd.

It was mooted that there weren't likely to be any discounted rates for the ferry, although the fares might be cheaper the earlier you book them. Once we have an agreed date, I'd be keen to get the tickets sorted and out of the way. I'll check if there is such a thing as a group booking rate.

I've decided to go for a week in Netherlands beginning July heading down to Dover from here and then around and back to here via Hoek with The Fridays. For me the dutch 200 would probably be September now? Weather should be still OK then.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2149 on: 24 February, 2017, 11:56:42 am »

I was hoping to sail over to Middleburg this summer but time may be against me.