Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526229 times)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2525 on: 08 June, 2017, 02:20:58 pm »
Me and Carlos decided to get "close" at Spar road roundabout. It was only a matter of time.

I turned right at slow speed just as Andy C33 was stealthily coming alongside :facepalm:

He`s a bit skinny as a landing pad, no injuries, just a broken sti lever.

Funnily enough I`d just told Oaky that I hadn`t fallen off in a while.

Er, if anyone has a right Shimano 11 speed lever going cheap, I`d be very grateful ;D

That makes a change from turning left in front of people... LOL

I like to keep you boys on your toes ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2526 on: 08 June, 2017, 03:55:22 pm »
Bit of a bargain at Malcom's at the moment, Schwalbe 1 Pro Tubeless 700x28c which I bought from Germany the other week at £33 each - he has for £28 a tyre (unboxed but new).  :thumbsup:  I've just bought 3 for stock...

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/schwable-one-tubeless-tl-easy-folding-tyre-700x28c-622-28mm-hs448

Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2527 on: 08 June, 2017, 04:18:47 pm »
Bit of a bargain at Malcom's at the moment, Schwalbe 1 Pro Tubeless 700x28c which I bought from Germany the other week at £33 each - he has for £28 a tyre (unboxed but new).  :thumbsup:  I've just bought 3 for stock...

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/schwable-one-tubeless-tl-easy-folding-tyre-700x28c-622-28mm-hs448

Thank`s for the heads up jiber, I might pick up a couple with some tubeless supplies when I collect the shifter body he`s just ordered for me. £34, 1/4 the price of a new shifter, he`s pretty good you know :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2528 on: 08 June, 2017, 04:22:15 pm »

Thank`s for the heads up jiber, I might pick up a couple with some tubeless supplies when I collect the shifter body he`s just ordered for me. £34, 1/3rd the price of a new shifter, he`s pretty good you know :thumbsup:

He had 12 left 30 mins ago....
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2529 on: 14 June, 2017, 01:43:16 pm »
I'm surprised some one hasn't been captured in action in Essex... where James and his action cam when you need him!

http://road.cc/content/news/224205-video-cyclists-stumble-across-couple-going-it-hammer-and-tongs
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2530 on: 15 June, 2017, 02:10:39 am »
So - how come the "Darth Oaky"  pic hasn't surfaced yet?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2531 on: 15 June, 2017, 08:49:06 am »
It's on strava... the quick image hosting I was using to post stuff on here has decided to terminate it's service, so I'm a bit stuck as to where to host easily now...
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2532 on: 15 June, 2017, 08:55:53 am »
It's on strava... the quick image hosting I was using to post stuff on here has decided to terminate it's service, so I'm a bit stuck as to where to host easily now...

Photobucket.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2533 on: 15 June, 2017, 08:57:31 am »

Oh lordy, I wish I hadn't looked.  I know I shouldn't ask but ... why?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2534 on: 15 June, 2017, 02:44:26 pm »

Photobucket.

I moved from PB as it was getting harder and harder to get a picture on there without being bombarded with ads!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2535 on: 15 June, 2017, 02:48:47 pm »
So where is ted with the write up???

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2536 on: 15 June, 2017, 04:27:13 pm »

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2537 on: 15 June, 2017, 04:32:11 pm »

« Reply #2538 on: 16 June, 2017, 11:29:56 am »
So where is ted with the write up???

As if by magic, Ted appeared.

Summer beer festivals tend to bring out MEMWNS types in numbers and the Sun's beer festival on Wednesday was no exception.

I arrived a little later than planned and was confused by the apparent lack of bikes in the car park.  I then heard some sort of insult being thrown in my direction (it was in Northern so I couldn't really understand what was being said), it turned out that everyone had decided to sit in the beer garden next to their steeds.

Around the table I found Three Buffs, Kaiser Wilhelm, Jonny Faro, Hotblack, Jiberjaber, Tippers, Tomsk and two other chaps (apologies I completely forgot to find out their forum names in all the excitement of being back out on a Wednesday evening).

It was beer festival rules which meant a night off for the Award Winner - but I did make him carry my drink over from the bar just to keep his hand in.  Everyone seemed to like Cunning Stunt by Fuzzy Duck so that can have the Quaffers' Choice Award.  Poor old Jiber was in meltdown with the number of beers on offer.  Once he had got hold of a full list of beers he ordered them geographically - north to south, then he ordered them alphabetically and finally by strength.  By the time he had completed his spreadsheet and applied his beer tasting algorithm he looked ready to explode.  Somehow or other he not only managed to sample a fair number but also to tweet about every different beer he tried as well.  It's fun to watch him work it all out methodically and it keeps him quiet, so a double bonus really.

Meanwhile Tsar Nicholas II had decided to disguise himself as ET, the bit where ET isn't very well and has a blanket over him.  Fortunately, at the same time he also went to sit at a neighbouring table so it didn't necessarily look like he was with us.

The usual high level discussions took place.  These days it's all fixie chat which everyone loves.

As we readied ourselves to leave, Hotblack treated us to one of his light shows.  When I shut my eyes I can still see the array of lights at the front of his bike.  The Witham peloton must look like some sort of low level UFO as it hoons around the lanes of Essex late at night.

These long warm evenings are the best we have in the year so it was nice to be able to ride home in sandals and not even have to put on my comedy socks.  Hopefully we can fit in a couple of more miles less beer rides before the inexorable descent into shorter evenings.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2539 on: 16 June, 2017, 11:44:31 am »
That's better isn't it?   Normality restored.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2540 on: 16 June, 2017, 06:11:52 pm »
Mr Blackmore asks about a winter ACME Jersey order...I'll get onto this sometime in July! Food for thought.

« Reply #2541 on: 16 June, 2017, 06:25:59 pm »
Just bought a set of Blackmore North hill bib tights, very very good

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2542 on: 17 June, 2017, 08:09:18 am »
Mr Blackmore asks about a winter ACME Jersey order...I'll get onto this sometime in July! Food for thought.

I'd quite like a gilet.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2543 on: 22 June, 2017, 08:22:06 am »
I'm sure ted will be along shortly with his silvery words, crafted by a pen made from the feathers of the rarest and most beautiful of doves but in the meantime ...

Yesterday evening was my first "proper" fixed ride and myself and BJ managed not to make a fool ourselves.  Despite some COR and roads covered in kitty litter we did okay.  I even managed farting on a fixed gear machine - not once but twice  :smug:

We had a splendid turnout complete with Paul and Toby from Witham Cycling ...

The Compasses was as smashing as always, could there be a betterer way to celebrate the Summer Solstice?

« Reply #2544 on: 22 June, 2017, 11:34:32 am »
What a happy band of brothers we are in OD's picture - taken by the in-house photographer, yet another invaluable service offered at our Spiritual Home the CLG.

The night began for me with a very flat front tyre.  As I run all my steeds on tubeless, this was a worry but I re-inflated the tyre and it was still solid this morning, I have no idea what happened there.  So it was that I didn't reach Spa until 8.45 and the CLG until after 9.

I arrived to find a larger than usual assembly.  There is something to be said for the combination of warm nights and pubs not too far from Witham, as the last two weeks have demonstrated.  OD, Huggy, GavinSSN, Hotblack, the Hustler, Sid James, Psyclist and old face Oros were all in the beer garden sampling Essex Blondes.  We also had a number of first timers and I assumed that the flash bikes on display were theirs, but no, Huggy and OD had been shopping and the Hustler had finally brought out his fabby new fixed machine. 

It used to be that only Tomsk and Oaky were zen enough to ride fixed, now it is pretty much the standard. Even gear fixated OD has succumbed and seems to be enjoying having a BJ (yurk yurk).  He has taken instantly to riding fixed to the extent that he was offering a masterclass on how to break wind on a fixie, he would go down a storm in Hackney.

In the balmy air there was really no option but to stick with Essex Blonde which therefore took the Quaffers' Choice by way of a walkover. 

Talk was on training (or not) for LEL and volunteering for LEL.  That was until we discovered the war of attrition that is raging in the ACME Anvils chapter.  It seems that Sid James and the Straggler are locked in a no holds barred, winner takes all competition for the coveted ACME oil can.  If I say that they are so focused on points that Sid had turned last night into a DIY 200, then that gives some indication as to how serious it is.  I did note that Psyclist was keeping quiet at that point so I suspect he has a fair few points stashed away himself.

By the time we left the temperature was still in the high teens and I was still comfortable in sandals and short sleeves when I reached the cool of the coast at 1.30ish.  Midsummer rocks.

« Reply #2545 on: 22 June, 2017, 11:45:59 am »

The night began for me with a very flat front tyre.  As I run all my steeds on tubeless, this was a worry but I re-inflated the tyre and it was still solid this morning, I have no idea what happened there.  So it was that I didn't reach Spa until 8.45 and the CLG until after 9.

:o

« Reply #2546 on: 22 June, 2017, 11:47:14 am »
quite a bit after 9  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2547 on: 22 June, 2017, 11:56:48 am »

He was all hot and bothered when he arrived. And there's something odd going on with his facial hair ...

I think he needs some advice from Oaky who currently seems to be the cat's whiskers when it comes to whiskers.

« Reply #2548 on: 22 June, 2017, 12:01:32 pm »
I did note that Psyclist was keeping quiet at that point so I suspect he has a fair few points stashed away himself.

I'm ok on the AAA points front, but can't compete with the seemingly semi-retired for those other types of point to which flatlanders aspire  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2549 on: 22 June, 2017, 12:42:13 pm »

He was all hot and bothered when he arrived. And there's something odd going on with his facial hair ...

I think he needs some advice from Oaky who currently seems to be the cat's whiskers when it comes to whiskers.

It's all gone today and I am back to my smooth and debonair self.