Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526368 times)

rob

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4025 on: 20 August, 2020, 09:20:15 pm »
I spotted someone sat on a bench in a PBP jersey and it was a chap from Notts who runs some of the Alfreton events.  I’ve completely forgotten his name but he was at the ACME annual get together at the Compasses last Nov.

Mr Ogden?

That’s him.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4026 on: 21 August, 2020, 04:07:59 pm »
Have I missed the offshore Baird's write up of this weeks escapade, or is he just being lazy?  It was never as late as this when Doggers used to do it, standards are slipping!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4027 on: 21 August, 2020, 04:10:25 pm »
Have I missed the offshore Baird's write up of this weeks escapade, or is he just being lazy?  It was never as late as this when Doggers used to do it, standards are slipping!

Don't think you've missed anything.  Perhaps we should get josser to start writing it assuming he isn't too busy making up stuff for Arrivee!

« Reply #4028 on: 21 August, 2020, 04:25:39 pm »
The offshore bard has been rather distracted by "official business" during the last couple of days.

Something might appear on Monday.

Josser's version would be something like:

My disciples and I enjoyed a splendid evening at the world's finest drinking establishment, discussing my greatness. There were a fair few of them there but one finds it so hard to keep up with all the names and the great unwashed all look and smell alike as far I'm concerned.

Did I tell you about the time I rode across the Urals on a unicycle.  Of course, I invented the unicycle.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4029 on: 21 August, 2020, 04:40:50 pm »
The offshore bard has been rather distracted by "official business" during the last couple of days.

Something might appear on Monday.

Josser's version would be something like:

My disciples and I enjoyed a splendid evening at the world's finest drinking establishment, discussing my greatness. There were a fair few of them there but one finds it so hard to keep up with all the names and the great unwashed all look and smell alike as far I'm concerned.

Did I tell you about the time I rode across the Urals on a unicycle.  Of course, I invented the unicycle.

Blimey, I didn't realise josser was such a modest chap  :o

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4030 on: 21 August, 2020, 05:03:41 pm »
Yeah I am not sure I recognise him from that modest account...
Regards,

Joergen

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #4031 on: 21 August, 2020, 06:08:03 pm »
Glad to see that the lateness of Tedshred has been duly noted.....!
I may need to start making reappearances so everyone receives a prompt write up the following morning - it used to almost be a competition between us as to who got the write up written first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4032 on: 21 August, 2020, 06:20:28 pm »
I may need to start making reappearances so everyone receives a prompt write up the following morning - it used to almost be a competition between us as to who got the write up written first

That would be good  :thumbsup:  Who are you?

The Retiree

« Reply #4033 on: 21 August, 2020, 06:24:26 pm »

That would be good  :thumbsup:  Who are you?
The Retiree......

« Reply #4034 on: 21 August, 2020, 06:36:21 pm »
Can you help us a bit more ?

You can't have been that much fun or we would have remembered you.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4035 on: 21 August, 2020, 06:45:48 pm »

That would be good    Who are you?
Could be Jane, Carl or that young lad who used to visit... Gillian or something?
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4036 on: 21 August, 2020, 07:22:14 pm »
Sunday is looking slightly less blowy, so I'm hoping to do a 200 then, if I can get through a load of DIY/garden stuff on my to-do list by then, that is ...

By the way, anyone want to ride an ACME group permanent on Saturday 5th September? I'll also start a thread now for a Richard Ellis Memorial Weekend in October. Among other plans before the Coronavirus Winter occurs ...

The Retiree

« Reply #4037 on: 21 August, 2020, 07:22:18 pm »

I was really boring which would equate to why none of you can remember me

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4038 on: 22 August, 2020, 07:20:01 am »

I was really boring which would equate to why none of you can remember me

Easily fixed... just turn up one Wednesday evening very soon  :thumbsup:  You know you want to and so do we  :-*

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4039 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:10:50 pm »
Moretaine and Bricks 200km yesterday (B&M reversed) - surprisingly good that way round, as I noticed lots of things I missed on several trips round the normal way, both researching the route and as early lockdown jaunts. Headwind all the way out to the Vale of Marston and a good tailwind back, with the pleasure of descending Pulloxhill at speed and a decent climb up the chalk escarpment from Hexton. 'Maggot Hill' (London Lane) was another cracking fast descent, from the Greensand ridge this time - normally a bit of a grind past the notoriously smelly farm.

Perhaps with the novelty of the reversal of the route, (but not having to think about navigation), I seemed to notice the great variety of brickwork, especially the elaborate polychrome chequerboard patterns in 'Brickworks Country', on even quite modest cottages. I like this route, not least because it takes in some decent hills with great views. Worth mentioning again is the distant view of Ravensburgh Castle Iron Age hill fort on the Chilterns, from near Langford. I added some more Tomsk Bonus Kilometres by going via Hatfield Forest and Great Canfield to avoid the B1265 through Takeley on the last stage.

One light shower near Braintree early on, with a smashing sunrise and rainbow to follow. Showers threatened later, but never happened.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4040 on: 24 August, 2020, 10:44:20 pm »
*almost makes me want to ride it - but then I remembered it's a 200+km ride  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4041 on: 24 August, 2020, 10:58:39 pm »
Do people really ride that far ?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4042 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:04:56 pm »
Do people really ride that far ?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I've no idea, anyway - shouldn't you be busy writing up last Wed?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4043 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:32:49 pm »
Haven’t you got an October Dirk & Joergen trip to plan .

It’s not like you’ll be doing much Patrick Moore business tonight.

rob

« Reply #4044 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:07:17 pm »
An attempt on the Flatliner this weekend didn’t go entirely to plan.  Setting off with Mick we realised the NWly wind was quite strong and pretty chilly.  It was a bit damp early on but we pushed on.   By Boston we were feeling it a bit and then it started to tip down.   By the time we were skirting Lincoln, a few miles from my Mum’s house and Mick’s hotel we realised we had 100 miles to do with at least 50 more into the wind.  We had a conflab at the side of the road and called it a day.   I got to my Mum’s, put my kit in the washer and had a bath.   I then fell asleep watching the Tour highlights.

10 hrs kip later we rendezvoused for an enjoyable 200k home. 

A hard weekend in all and 300 miles done but not quite the expected result.   Still time for another go in the next couple of weeks.

« Reply #4045 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:28:38 pm »
Bad luck Rob.

I’m still pondering an SR starting with the 600. But nothing before end of September. Weather definitely turning of late but I do worse in the heat so colder wetter weather better.  But winds can be killer.

rob

« Reply #4046 on: 02 September, 2020, 05:46:44 pm »
Essex R&R today.  I’m very conveniently located on the route so could start from home.  Having not done this for a couple of years I had forgotten how lovely the route is, winding around the countryside with some great views.

Having had a mildly emotional time recently I was reminded that this was the ride where I started to make plans to move to the area nearly 3 years ago.  It’s been a long haul.

Thanks to Huggy for making this available.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4047 on: 02 September, 2020, 07:22:29 pm »
Essex R&R today.  I’m very conveniently located on the route so could start from home.  Having not done this for a couple of years I had forgotten how lovely the route is, winding around the countryside with some great views.

Having had a mildly emotional time recently I was reminded that this was the ride where I started to make plans to move to the area nearly 3 years ago.  It’s been a long haul.

:thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #4048 on: 02 September, 2020, 07:26:48 pm »
I did this ride yesterday - and my Strava write-up says much the same..
https://www.strava.com/activities/3996734771

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4049 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:12:38 am »
Ned Boulting's Road Book blog, about discovering Kent on yesterday's rest day and really missing France:

https://www.theroadbook.co.uk/2020/09/14/hoping-in-kent-ned-boulting/