Author Topic: LEJOG record attempt.  (Read 32197 times)

LEJOG record attempt.
« on: 18 May, 2018, 07:43:45 pm »
Best of luck to Ian To, a TCR veteran and ultra rider as he attempts to beat the record early tomorrow.
A link here if you want to watch is progress.
http://www.ultracycling.uk/project-44-lejog/
often lost.

Re: LEJOG record attempt.
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2018, 01:17:27 pm »
He has stopped thanks to heatstroke and digestive issues. :( It's a tough record to attempt.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2018, 01:26:58 pm »
By no means can the E2E be considered a soft record, male or female. I look forward to the next attempt, with better-aligned stars.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2018, 02:29:47 pm »
I've been surprised by an attempt in May. It goes against convention. It's felt that tailwinds are likeliest in late August/ September.

Worldwide, tropical cyclone activity peaks in late summer, when the difference between temperatures aloft and sea surface temperatures is the greatest. However, each particular basin has its own seasonal patterns. On a worldwide scale, May is the least active month, while September is the most active.[1] In the Northern Atlantic Ocean, a distinct hurricane season occurs from June 1 to November 30, sharply peaking from late August through September;[1] the season's climatological peak of activity occurs around September 10 each season.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_hurricane_season

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2018, 04:21:21 pm »
The men's tandem record (2015) and the mixed tandem record (2000) were both set in May with howling tailwinds... <fingers crossed>

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2018, 08:59:16 pm »
Stupid May  :facepalm:

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2018, 09:18:57 pm »
At least you kept your powder dry. It could have been worse for me. If I'd known about it, I might have filmed some of the failed attempt.

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2018, 07:52:30 am »
At least you kept your powder dry. It could have been worse for me. If I'd known about it, I might have filmed some of the failed attempt.

Here's to June, the new May  ::-)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2018, 05:14:10 pm »

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2018, 06:00:31 pm »
has the other guy (Michael Broadwith) had a go yet?

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/lands-end-john-o-groats-break-unbreakable-cycling-record-379965

I think he's keeping his powder dry, hoping for a suitable weather window in June, and that someone might film his ride for him. But that's just a guess.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2018, 07:03:14 pm »

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:52:27 pm »
has the other guy (Michael Broadwith) had a go yet?

Front room has been full of stuff, ready to roll since the end of April. I have enough respect for Gethin to know that I will need favourable conditions to be competitive and they just haven't come along. I'm happy to wait through June... although if nothing is on the horizon then I may bail, ride the Mersey 24 (which I really want to ride this year) and then try again in September.

It's tough though as I have a wife, four kids and a support crew who have all put their lives on hold for 5 weeks and counting... on the upside, I have been bowled over by the positivity, support, believe and patience that people have shown. I know I have the best team, best kit and a good chance of breaking the record if only the wind would play ball.

Have a look at https://twitter.com/endtoend2018 for updates on the (non) action  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 04 June, 2018, 11:30:35 am »
The interplay of place-to-place records and the 24 hour TTs is an interesting area. Road Records Association records were the province of professionals at one time, and depend on the right weather conditions.

24 Hour TTs are a purer test, but have been subject to improvement from bike design, nutrition and training. There are also lots of different 24's. We've got the 'World 24 Hour Champion' on here. That's an event promoted by the company that now owns RAAM. It's all a bit like the various boxing titles. With lots of room for fans to decide who is 'The Greatest'. There's no money in it though, so it has a bit more purity.

As Wheels of Fire hints, a lot is down to the team behind these rides, both on the road, and domestically. As a spectator, one has more contact with the team than the rider.

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2018, 12:18:51 pm »
The interplay of place-to-place records and the 24 hour TTs is an interesting area. Road Records Association records were the province of professionals at one time, and depend on the right weather conditions.

24 Hour TTs are a purer test, but have been subject to improvement from bike design, nutrition and training. There are also lots of different 24's. We've got the 'World 24 Hour Champion' on here. That's an event promoted by the company that now owns RAAM. It's all a bit like the various boxing titles. With lots of room for fans to decide who is 'The Greatest'. There's no money in it though, so it has a bit more purity.

As Wheels of Fire hints, a lot is down to the team behind these rides, both on the road, and domestically. As a spectator, one has more contact with the team than the rider.

Let's hear it for the women too please. Here is a blog by the 'World 24 Hour Champion';-)
https://duracellbunnyonabike.com/2018/06/07/the-women-of-the-end-to-end/

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2018, 12:33:53 pm »
The distances in the 'World 24 Hour Championship' seem to be about 20 miles short of the Mersey Roads distances. I wonder what that's down to?

https://my5.raceresult.com/65136/results?lang=en#24_322C57

« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2018, 12:42:30 pm »
The distances in the 'World 24 Hour Championship' seem to be about 20 miles short of the Mersey Roads distances. I wonder what that's down to?

come ride it and find out ;-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2018, 12:44:14 pm »
American Miles?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2018, 01:00:46 pm »
I think I saw Hippy comment that some of the circuit is a bit rough and it's lightly traffic'd.   The Mersey course does benefit from traffic drag - I had some very close passes from fast moving trucks last year.

Other riders going over there from the UK found it very hot during the day and pretty cold on the night sections.

« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2018, 01:06:50 pm »
I think I saw Hippy comment that some of the circuit is a bit rough and it's lightly traffic'd.   The Mersey course does benefit from traffic drag - I had some very close passes from fast moving trucks last year.

Other riders going over there from the UK found it very hot during the day and pretty cold on the night sections.

it is not a fast course; worse surface every year; hardly any traffic at all; there is one place one each lap where you MUST stop or slow to walking speed; it is hot in the day and cold at night; your supporters are not allowed on the course; there is little room for handups, I have never been able to do one, so you need to stop each time you want more bottles, food, ice etc; ... BUT it is a lot of fun too and Christophe Strasser has done 550+ miles on this course, which is quite a bit more than the CTT comp record or the best distance ever done on the Mersey course, so perhaps the rest of us are just weaklings.

« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2018, 01:20:51 pm »

come ride it and find out ;-)

If I ever did a 24 again it would be to get the VTTA standard, so travelling thousands of miles to do fewer miles wouldn't appeal.

I suppose that there could be a LEJOG time trial, and that could compare the various current long-distance riders. But the roads don't lend themselves to more than one supported attempt at a time.

The interplay of sponsorship, media coverage and prestige is the most interesting aspect to me. Things were simpler when it was bike manufacturers sponsoring attempts. The closest modern equivalent is probably Ultra-Cycling, where sales of 'Adventure' bikes can be promoted.

« Reply #20 on: 07 June, 2018, 01:50:29 pm »

If I ever did a 24 again it would be to get the VTTA standard, so travelling thousands of miles to do fewer miles wouldn't appeal.

The interplay of sponsorship, media coverage and prestige is the most interesting aspect to me. Things were simpler when it was bike manufacturers sponsoring attempts. The closest modern equivalent is probably Ultra-Cycling, where sales of 'Adventure' bikes can be promoted.
[/quote]

In that case, just do the Mersey 24hr, it is THE best TT in the UK each year, in my biased view.

« Reply #21 on: 07 June, 2018, 02:27:07 pm »

In that case, just do the Mersey 24hr, it is THE best TT in the UK each year, in my biased view.
[/quote]

It's nice to see a new generation sing its praises. The Mersey Roads certainly deserves to be better known. It was renowned as a friendly event when I did my first 24 at the North Roads Centenary in 1998.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #22 on: 07 June, 2018, 02:28:06 pm »
Yebbut I've already got him booked to sorry my attempt in 2019, he just doesn't know it yet.

Ain't that right ESL  ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 07 June, 2018, 02:39:27 pm »

Just to bring you upto speed on the natives, Ms Duracell, ESL and I actually raced each-other for 24hrs on the Mersey a few years back. It wasn't his first. Sadly neither of us troubled the podium. (In fact, that may have been Wheels-of-Fire's year, certainly around then ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #24 on: 07 June, 2018, 02:42:02 pm »

It's nice to see a new generation sing its praises. The Mersey Roads certainly deserves to be better known. It was renowned as a friendly event when I did my first 24 at the North Roads Centenary in 1998.

Those marshalls at Epsley island on the night circuit were particularly friendly  :thumbsup: ;)