Author Topic: Edge 705 - Haunted by "undead files"  (Read 1817 times)

Edge 705 - Haunted by "undead files"
« on: 24 July, 2010, 05:56:24 pm »
I have a number of gpx routes I loaded for tours last year onto my 705 using Bike Route Toaster

I have deleted them using the menu on the Garmin, and off they go....... until next time I switch it on and like the undead all 20 files are back!

They do not appear on any of the drives when searched by the Mac,.

I cannot get rid of these files ... short of driving a stake through the heart of the 705... any suggestions?

Re: Edge 705 - Haunted by "undead files"
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »
Sorry, I read it as undead flies ;D

Can't help but it was ever so funny reading it

« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2010, 07:54:12 pm »
Sorry, I read it as undead flies ;D

Can't help but it was ever so funny reading it

I meant "undead" as in files that keep on returning from the grave!

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2010, 08:03:50 pm »
Might be Apple/Microsoft file incompatibility.  I once had a Creative Zen MP3 player.  Although the Mac would swear it was empty, every time I checked the device it was full of all the old files.  The only way to make it work with the Mac (ie, if I wanted to add podcasts or other music) was to reformat it every time and load on a full set of files again.  Might be a similar problem with your Garmin.  Can you do a reformat and restore, minus your unwanted files?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2010, 10:37:02 pm »
Have you looked in the Garmin mass storage disks when the 705 is connected to the Mac? The files could be in a couple of the directories. Garmin, History, Tracks, gpx for example. delete them in the Finder and empty the trash.
It is simpler than it looks.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2010, 11:10:46 pm »
They'll be on the internal memory (which hopefully would appear as a drive, maybe on a Mac you have to mount it?).  Even though you may have loaded them onto the SD card originally, the GPS copies them into internal memory before using them - then you can remove or erase the SD card but they'll still be there in the internal memory.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2010, 11:11:02 pm »
Thanks folks,

I have been through the directories on  the Mac. Both the Garmin one and the card - nothing.

I think looking at Windows next may be the option.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 05 August, 2010, 09:37:02 am »
I had this with my Oregon. The only way I could remove them using the Mac was to trash them, and to then empty the Mac's overall trash. I sometimes found it more convenient to look at it on a PC and bin them from there, which was complete (they were then visible in trashes folders). I also find if I delete the file on the Oregon's menu it still exists on the unit when I plug it in to the mac so have to delete it from there, then empty the trash.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 05 August, 2010, 10:35:35 am »
Ah yes I've read about this somewhere.  Apparently a workaround (for Mac users) is to place a FILE called 'trash' onto the device and write-protect it, this suppresses the Mac's urge to put a 'trash' directory on there every time you connect up.  Or something like that.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2010, 03:17:25 pm »
This applies (on a Mac) to any external drive. You can 'trash' files but must empty the trash while the drive is still attached otherwise they 'reappear' as if by magic. I had this with a video SD card - a bit annoying when you are out and the cam says 'card full'
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2010, 07:27:34 pm »
Found the problem!

There was indeed a file g://trashes/501 on the Garmin where these files were stored

Deleted the contents and they have gone!

Yahoo!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August, 2010, 11:04:35 pm »
They'll be back.
</arnie>