Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391108 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #175 on: 27 September, 2011, 03:40:55 pm »
RRTY question:  If you ride a 200k as an organiser ie: a week before the ride as a route check could you still claim that ride for the actual audax date.

The route check was done on the 29th of August & the Audax was in September.

I haven't done a September 200k yet & am plucking at straws, I may be able to get friday off work for a last minute 200.

You'd best address your question to Mike Wigley, as he's the organiser of that award.

Billy Weir

« Reply #176 on: 27 September, 2011, 07:27:54 pm »
RRTY question:  If you ride a 200k as an organiser ie: a week before the ride as a route check could you still claim that ride for the actual audax date.

I haven't done a September 200k yet & am plucking at straws, I may be able to get friday off work for a last minute 200.

Regardless of what Mike W says the rules permit (or otherwise) do you really believe in your heart of hearts that you will have done a RRTY if you rely on that ruse?  These awards are personal and you have to be able to respect your own achievement.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #177 on: 27 September, 2011, 07:44:00 pm »
You're right! I'm gonna try & get Friday off work.  I wouldn't mind but I did 1600k last month  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #178 on: 27 September, 2011, 08:17:01 pm »

Regardless of what Mike W says the rules permit (or otherwise) do you really believe in your heart of hearts that you will have done a RRTY if you rely on that ruse?  These awards are personal and you have to be able to respect your own achievement.

Today marks the completion of my 'proper' RRTY. I have the badge and my name in the Hall of Fame but I took advantage of the 59 day January which has always had a small tinge of cheating for me. But today (subject to validation of my ECE) marks 12 genuine months. Now I need to decide if Feb is month 1 or month 7...

Conscience, it's a killer.

(Feb was month 1)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #179 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:33:14 pm »
Month 7 then you can get out all through the winter like I'm gonna have to  :demon:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #180 on: 01 October, 2011, 09:07:18 am »

I did exactly that yesterday, riding my route check for the Anfractuous as a DIY Perm so I could record a September ride.

It's not really an option for route check rides but I have started a ride on 23:30 on 31/8 to keep an RRTY streak alive. Sad but true.

« Reply #181 on: 03 October, 2011, 01:05:33 pm »

I did exactly that yesterday, riding my route check for the Anfractuous as a DIY Perm so I could record a September ride.

It's not really an option for route check rides but I have started a ride on 23:30 on 31/8 to keep an RRTY streak alive. Sad but true.
If I've read Fungus's question (and your response) correctly, what you did was exactly NOT what Fungus was suggesting.  You did a ride in September to be counted as a September ride.  Fungus wanted to call a ride ridden in August a September ride.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #182 on: 03 October, 2011, 01:22:38 pm »

Completely agree with Billy that these things are a personal decision.

My 2p-worth:
The point of the route-check/helpers-ride thingy is partly as compensation for the helpers not being able to ride the calendar event on the day. This seems compatible with an  RRTY ride , ethically speaking. But that's just my thought ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #183 on: 03 October, 2011, 01:27:24 pm »
I also agree that it's an entirely personal decision

My own view would be that RRTY is about getting out and doing a ride each month, come what may, and that's really not an easy thing to do.  Which is why it's a challenge. Not doing a  ride in one month seems to me to be a hole in your achievement and for me it would feel a bit false.  I'd have similar views if I'd taken advantage of the artificially-long January we had a couple of years ago. But as I say, just a personal view.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #184 on: 03 October, 2011, 01:52:02 pm »
Having reread the post PhilD is of course correct.

With my audax facist hat on - which mostly stays on the peg - I would regard such as being sharp practice but within the rules so what the heck. You could say much the same of my 23:30 31/8 start. In any long term major enterprise it is inevitable that some short cuts are taken here or there (ask anybody who has wandered off the route sheet to avoid some hazard, or decided not to ride a perm because it was raining).

FWIW I was far more exercised about the RRTY 'snow' rules which allowed January rides to be performed in February. How northern riders must have laughed at such accomodations being offered to the southern softies. It's a shame I had already blown my 11 month RRTY streak in December...

Edit: Cross post with MV

« Reply #185 on: 03 October, 2011, 06:09:34 pm »
It's all academic anyway -

Two battles 200k perm done today for my September RRTY ride  :)

« Reply #186 on: 07 October, 2011, 10:41:58 am »
A random audax question :

What are the German, French, Spanish and Italian words for routesheet?

Thanks

Keith

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #187 on: 08 October, 2011, 05:49:34 pm »
According to Google Translate,
routesheet, routesheet, routesheet and routesheet respectively.

It does also ask "did you mean   route sheet?"
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #188 on: 13 October, 2011, 12:18:47 pm »
Brevet 25000 question:

When it says "and other rides to top up to 25000km" does this include all rides or only rides over 200k.  As it's a Brevet award I would think it includes rides under 200k  ???
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #189 on: 13 October, 2011, 12:49:59 pm »
Brevet 25000 question:

When it says "and other rides to top up to 25000km" does this include all rides or only rides over 200k.  As it's a Brevet award I would think it includes rides under 200k  ???

Think of it as needing 250 points;  100km events don't attract points so can't count for this award.

Extra satisfaction when you do get there, though!

Regards,

RP.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #190 on: 13 October, 2011, 01:00:17 pm »
Think of it as needing 250 points;  100km events don't attract points so can't count for this award.

Extra satisfaction when you do get there, though!

Regards,

RP.

Thanks!  I better get out & get some points then  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

« Reply #191 on: 13 October, 2011, 02:00:59 pm »
I noticed in another thread about new year resolutions.

When does the Audax year start and end?

I haven't joined yet, but have signed up for a ride in November.

I was planning to join in January, but if the year starts before then, i'll bring this forward.
@CorbieLinnRider

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #192 on: 13 October, 2011, 02:13:36 pm »
I noticed in another thread about new year resolutions.

When does the Audax year start and end?
The season for points and awards etc starts on 1st November.
The year for membership starts on 1st January. Though if you join near the end of the year, your membership will run until the end of the following year.
I think if you joined now, your membership would last until the end of 2012.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #193 on: 13 October, 2011, 03:04:19 pm »
I think if you joined now, your membership would last until the end of 2012.

Having joined a couple of weeks ago, I can confirm this.

« Reply #194 on: 13 October, 2011, 04:48:29 pm »
good, i'll join tonight then, and Novembers ride will be my first of the year :)
@CorbieLinnRider

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #195 on: 16 October, 2011, 04:21:41 pm »
The season for points and awards etc starts on 1st November.

Though this seems likely to change, to 1st Oct, as of the season starting autumn 2012. 
As far as I can see, there will be a special offer for October 2012 - points will count twice ...  :o
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #196 on: 21 October, 2011, 01:22:05 pm »
Anyone understand why it is that for new Perms we've got to make sure that every control is useable 24hrs a day? To me that means that only cash machines and 24hr garages are possible controls. Which means that lots of lovely routes in the North of Scotland can't be made into Perms. It's only easy to make new perms that run along main roads in more densely populated parts of the country, which is the exact opposite of what more people want to ride.

I can't see what would be wrong with creating a perm with an information sheet that told the riders when the controls would be open. That would let the rider plan their start point/time to ensure that they could control properly.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #197 on: 21 October, 2011, 03:32:29 pm »
I can't see what would be wrong with creating a perm with an information sheet that told the riders when the controls would be open. That would let the rider plan their start point/time to ensure that they could control properly.
Completely agree.

Such an info sheet would always be useful for riders. What is odd here is that event organisers are required to arrange reasonable refuelling opportunities at reasonable distances - man cannot live on ATMs.

('fraid I have no idea how this new requirement came about).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #198 on: 21 October, 2011, 11:20:52 pm »
Anyone understand why it is that for new Perms we've got to make sure that every control is useable 24hrs a day? To me that means that only cash machines and 24hr garages are possible controls. Which means that lots of lovely routes in the North of Scotland can't be made into Perms. It's only easy to make new perms that run along main roads in more densely populated parts of the country, which is the exact opposite of what more people want to ride.

I've never insisted on that. But if a rider reaches a control at silly o'clock, it's their responsibility to prove they were there.

Lovely Horse

« Reply #199 on: 23 October, 2011, 07:27:17 am »
I suspect you, Valkyrie,  are speaking about the requirement for new listed permanents (not DIYs)?

John Ward is not a computer, where everything is a 1 or a 0.  If you have an idea for a permanent that would require a control in a town where the only options are open in (reasonable) hours, then put your idea forward to him.  Based on my past dealings, I suspect you'll get a sympathetic hearing if it is a route in a part of the country not well served at the moment.

From my own rider/organiser perspective, a clear and up to date list of when controls are open seems entirely sensible; the only thought that struck me was the ability to guarantee the control will remain open (and how frequently would you check) and if not, are there alternatives.  Not knowing the details of the route, I'd also be looking (from a rider perspective) that the window of opportunity for riding has some flexibility on where you can start the ride and the time (both of day and of year), but that's personal preference.

That all said, not every good long distance route is suitable for audax.  Proof of control is a fundamental requirement and the 24 hour rule would seem to be a sensible starting point, unless an alternative presents itself.