Author Topic: Pigs trotters au pied de cochon.  (Read 937 times)

Pigs trotters au pied de cochon.
« on: 21 May, 2012, 08:46:55 pm »
In Paris for a gastronomic weekend.  Went to au pied de cochon, this is a restaurant that could only exist in Paris. 6 floors of dining, and the place is reservation only, rammed. The speciality is pig trotter.  Deep fried with chips. They sell 85k pigs trotters per year, as a starter or main for 18 es. Everything else is French dining costs but very good. If you don't like trotters you can have a plate of ears, tail, and snout. Or andouillette or something else foul.
Trotters are a bit of an acquired taste I think. You have to like eating skin and fat, and glutinous stuff. There is about a single chicken nugget of meat in a trotter, and a lot of fat. I forced mysel to eat it in the hope that at some point I would find myself going mmmm.
Never happened.
Tripe is a bit similar in my book.

Julian

• samoture
Re: Pigs trotters au pied de cochon.
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:40:55 am »
I can't stand tripe, but pig trotters are okay.  The joy of them is burrowing through them to find that little nugget of perfect porky meat.

On an entire French dining menu I think I'd find something else, though.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2012, 01:46:34 pm »
Trotters are all about the cooking. If they're cooked properly, they're divine. If they're not cooked properly, they're horrible. I had dinner at Sharrow Bay about ten years ago and the pig's trotter is the only one of the five courses I can still remember.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2012, 05:33:10 pm »
Au pied de cochon has a place in cycling. It's where the Fleche rides of the Audax Club Parisien start from, as it's open 24 hours a day. The ovens haven't been out since 1946.
http://www.pieddecochon.com/

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2012, 07:07:57 pm »
pigs, you can eat everything except the squeak :)