Author Topic: Garmin Edge 800 Qs  (Read 20169 times)

Phil W

Re: Garmin Edge 800 Qs
« Reply #75 on: 04 June, 2014, 06:12:37 pm »
I charge just when stopped and it works out fine. Just build it into your routine. GPS off, cable in, order food..

« Reply #76 on: 05 June, 2014, 01:05:00 pm »
I had my new (1 week old) Edge 800 crash at ~300K & 16 hours ish into a ride on Sunday.  Could not get it to switch back on and start working again for more than a couple of seconds before it crashed again.  Particularly fustrating as I needed the tracklog including barometric elevation profile for an "Everesting" challenge I was doing at the time :demon:  fortunately managed to get it to switch on and save the file the next day and I completed the ride with my Dakota - (I'm always prepared!)

I've contacted Wiggle on Tuesday to see if they will swap it - no reply so far.

I didn't realise until googling and searching on here that this was an Edge 800 'feature' which is a shame as I might have to go back to my trusty old Dakota for longer rides,  or remember to save the track and restart periodically, then restitch the files.

Out of interest how are you guys stitching .fit files together?  I upload each fit file to strava, download the gpx files and then manually merge in wordpad.  Is there a more elegant way?  and anyone know of a way on an android phone/tablet? hardly ever get the laptop out these days :-\

for info im using software version 2.5 but looking at the Garmin site v2.7 only seems to add VIRB and power meter features
Eddington: 114 Miles

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #77 on: 05 June, 2014, 01:40:46 pm »
I find manually stitching them pretty easy to be honest but garmin basecamp will do it very easily also.

As far as I am aware the crashing on longer rides thing has been fixed in firmware updates. Have you updated your 800 to the latest firmware?
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #78 on: 05 June, 2014, 01:46:57 pm »
The FIT files can't be hand-spliced: they are binary files, not text.
You'd need to get them into a text-based format like GPX to do that.

I use the Fit File Repair Tool ( not free ) to splice them.

Or you could bring the individual tracks into Basecamp or similar and then join the tracks, then export the combined track as a GPX.
Or convert the individual FIT files to GPX some other way (eg upload to Garmin Connect, then export as GPX), and then manually splice them.

Regarding firmware updates: none of the changelogs make any mention of fixing this, so I'm assuming it's not fixed.   I'm not prepared to try; I always re-set the tracklog at 200k or 300k.   I'd not let it go much over 300k before re-setting it.

caerau

« Reply #79 on: 05 June, 2014, 01:48:35 pm »
Yeah I meant gpx files, not .fit

« Reply #80 on: 05 June, 2014, 01:54:00 pm »
OK. Cheers, 
I've not updated the firmware.  How do I find out what firmware I've got?  I take it that firmware version is different to the software version? Please excuse my ignorance on this!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #81 on: 05 June, 2014, 02:00:45 pm »
Firmware version is the same thing as Software Version.

Easiest way to update is to download and install the Web Updater.
Plug the device in, let it boot up and run the updater.
It will let you know if it's found any updates, and you can choose to install them or not.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

« Reply #82 on: 05 June, 2014, 02:19:28 pm »
Thanks guys,   I'll give the updater a go, deffo worth a try.  I'm currently on v2.5 and the latest is v2.7 according to the Garmin website

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #83 on: 05 June, 2014, 02:38:13 pm »
Is it safe to use a tecknet charger when it's hosing it down with rain  ???  As it's likely to be on Saturdays 400k  :(
Be very carefull getting the USB connector wet, I have had one die and another show signs but I saved it.
The warning sign on both occasions was a message "this USB device is not supported" or similar which seemed to indicate that the input pins were shorting with the moisture.
The second time I saved it when I saw the message with good old WD40.

« Reply #84 on: 06 June, 2014, 10:05:44 am »
Firmware version is the same thing as Software Version.

Easiest way to update is to download and install the Web Updater.
Plug the device in, let it boot up and run the updater.
It will let you know if it's found any updates, and you can choose to install them or not.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Did this last night, thanks, only took 5 mins & my Garmin is now running v2.7.

I've got a 300km DIY next weekend followed by the Mr Pickwick 600 the weekend after, so plenty of opportunity to test it!  Cheers

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #85 on: 06 June, 2014, 11:11:27 am »
Regarding firmware updates: none of the changelogs make any mention of fixing this, so I'm assuming it's not fixed.   I'm not prepared to try; I always re-set the tracklog at 200k or 300k.   I'd not let it go much over 300k before re-setting it.

Just my two pennies: I got an 800 last year a week before the 810 was launched  :facepalm:  (However, being a techie I wouldn't have bought the first version of the 810, because it's bound to be buggy and/or feature limited, and it was.)

Anyway, I have had only a single software crash that I can recall on the 800 in 15 months/7000km and I don't recall losing any ride data.  I used it successfully over four and a half days of LEL last year – I generated a single FIT file with the entire ride data in it (barring a little bit towards the end where I connected it to a laptop to check the route – connecting to a computer saves the recorded tracklog and resets the unit, whereas switching off for sleeping and back on again doesn't, although you have to remember to hit Start in the morning before setting off!).  So LEL was 1300km in a single file (and 120km in a second one).  I've done four 600s, two 400s and numerous 200s and 300s without any logging issues (except the last 600 failed to report calories estimate for some reason, perhaps HRM wasn't consistent enough?).

However, there are three particular issues that I wish they'd fix:

1) When using the 800 for turn-by-turn, somewhere beyond 350-400km then the unit STOPS giving turn-by-turn instructions and you have to stop the Course (NOT the tracklog, just the Course) and start it again and it commences with instructions.  The problem is that you have to notice it has stopped doing it in order to fix it, by which point you will have passed your turn (I have a data screen visible, not the map display, so I wouldn't know this unless I also had a routesheet, which I usually do anyway).  Splitting very long rides into multiple 200-300km legs works well.  This DOESN'T affect the tracklog, which will continue recording happily in the background when you change Courses.

2) Even with a specific track set up in RWGPS and downloaded as a TCX file, the 800 will occasionally re-route in entirely the wrong direction on the road, usually at night, and you have to restart the Course (again NOT the tracklog) to get it back on route.  It wanted me to turn right at a roundabout the other day when the pre-programmed route AND the clearly quickest route went straight on.  Again, having a routesheet mitigates against this.

3) At none-priority crossroads (where you don't have priority and have to give way) and eff SO @ LH/RH bend, i.e. where you are crossing or changing the priority but not actually changing direction by much, there is no turn instruction given.  So at crossroads you have to follow your nose, and if you follow the bend around then you immediately get a Course Lost warning and have to double back.  AGAIN having a routesheet mitigates against this.  What's annoying is that often it will say "carry straight on" when passing a T junction but doesn't say that when at a cross roads or turning off the major road on a bend.

It seems you can't trust the 800 to guide you properly unless you follow the track on the map view.  However, its connection to HRM and cadence sensors means you get much more real-time data on the data screens, and I find that really useful, so I persevere with its foibles and continue to use a traditional routesheet as well.

My 800 is on software version 2.40: I can see there's a later 2.70 release, but nothing in the notes relates to me, as I don't use VIRB (whatever that is), or a power meter.  However, I'll update and give it a go.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #86 on: 06 June, 2014, 11:16:20 am »
I forgot to mention [edit: I belatedly realised that I'd mentioned it months ago :facepalm:] that I charge from the dynamo, as I have a B&M Luxos IQ2 USB: I recently cut down a left-angle-entry USB cable so it's short and I can charge the 800 while it's mounted in the Out Front mount.  I carry a small battery pack in the Carradice for charging in controls or even in the bag if it's really wet (and rely on the routesheet for a bit).
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #87 on: 06 June, 2014, 01:19:29 pm »
Yeah,  I had noticed that the change log doesn't mention anything about fixing the track length issue, but thought it with updating the firmware anyway, esp as it was did that the latest firmware fixed this. 
I've now heard back from wiggle and they will accept it back and check my unit is not faulty, but I'm not sure that it is 'faulty' now.  I am wondering whether to ask them if they will swap it for an 810 if I pay the difference.  Does the 810 have these issues?
I decided originally not to get an 810 as I didn't really need the extra features and had heard that it was buggy and the 800 was more reliable (& cheaper!)
I'll be taking my dakota as a backup on the long rides I mentioned ^^^^^^ in the meantime.

« Reply #88 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:42:07 pm »
Had my 800 for over a year now and am well pleased with it.
However, there are a couple of things which I seem unable to sort out and am hoping that some of you might be able to give me some 'guidance' with.

When I either create a route, or use an events supplied GPX file, I configure the settings for my preferences, turn warnings etc. I always change the route display colour to a vivid lime green, and when I view the full route in zoomed out mode on the GPS the entire route is shown as lime green. However when I set off and zoom way in on the map for turn guidance, the route is now shown as a short magenta line superimposed on the road that I'm on. Why isn't the short line of travel shown in lime green? I find that the magenta colour isn't as distinguishable from the basic red road colour as I'd wish.

I have quite a large number of activities saved as .fit files. These don't seem to be recognised by either GPX Editor or Bikehike. Is there any program that I can load a .fit file to which will show the route taken?

I've created a place-to-place route with turn directions on bikehike and saved it on my GPS. If I want to do the journey in reverse can I just call up the file I made for the outward journey and start from the other end of the route? If this works, will it show turn by turn directions?
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #89 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:30:20 pm »
I think the purple default colour denotes the route when you are in navigation mode, it overides your chosen colour and cannot be changed.
You can only see your chosen colour by not navigating, providing you have "view on map" selected for the route.

Strava is a good tool for viewing all your fit files, it converts them to GPX files which can then be downloaded. If you don't like the being monitored feel of it, just select all your data or account to private. You can create GPX routes here too.

caerau

« Reply #90 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:32:26 pm »
.fit files will work in Basecamp too

« Reply #91 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:21:31 pm »
Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated.
Somebody elsewhere has just suggested RideViewer to read .fit files.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #92 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:00:17 am »
Hello,

Garmin 800 is displaying the map upside down constantly. What do I need to do to make it the right way up?

Thanks,

Sefi

« Reply #93 on: 18 May, 2015, 11:13:02 am »
You need to go into either map or display and tell it to always display the proper direction.  Were you riding south at the time?  One option is for map to always display north orientation.

« Reply #94 on: 18 May, 2015, 11:33:36 am »
Hello,

Garmin 800 is displaying the map upside down constantly. What do I need to do to make it the right way up?

Thanks,

Sefi

Set 'Orientation' to 'track up' - it will then always be pointing in the direction you are travelling.

MENU >  > System > Map > Orientation.
Select an orientation:
• Select North Up to show north at the top of the page.
• Select Track Up to show your current direction of travel at the top of the page.
• Select Automotive Mode to show a perspective view.

« Reply #95 on: 18 May, 2015, 12:19:45 pm »
Thanks! Will check tonight!  ;D

EDIT: Seemed to do the trick.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #96 on: 05 July, 2015, 09:43:37 pm »
Has anyone experience this problem?
You have TBT turned on but you go off route. You get back on route but have missed a few waypoints. TBT then stops responding until you get to your destination, where the unit then cycles through all the waypoints. I've had this happen twice now.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

caerau

« Reply #97 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:17:15 am »
Yeah I've had that a couple of times.  It still show's the route as a pink line in my experience so I've just followed that instead.

Has only happened on long rides though.

One workaround that is not massively satisfactory is to stop the route and then reload it.  It should find where you are and then turn by turn will start again - if you have a lot of waypoints it can take ages to reload of course and you have to stop and kick your heels for a while while it does it.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #98 on: 06 July, 2015, 12:04:11 pm »
Has anyone experience this problem?
You have TBT turned on but you go off route. You get back on route but have missed a few waypoints. TBT then stops responding until you get to your destination, where the unit then cycles through all the waypoints. I've had this happen twice now.

Yep. It seems to be set up so that it thinks you don't want the TBT directions if you've missed a few, so it goes into a sulk and does a 'look what you could have won' at the end! ;D